Sheriff's Showdown

Dan

Team Member
Team Member
Sheriff's Showdown, previously known as Golden Nugget's Wild West Shootout, was refurbished for the 2018 season - this included a new shooting system being added, as well as scene modifications and a large star cloth being added! The ride originally launched in 2000 with Apocalypse as part of a joint investment, and the ride system is supplied by I.E. Park.

What is your opinion of the refurbishment to Sheriff's Showdown? Would you like to see anything else added or changed?

There’s not much I’d change on the ride really after the refurb, yes a few more up to date animatronics would be good, however the improved ride was a real improvement to its predecessor! The starclith really adds to the ride and would look great on similar rides/ parks with a similar budget! (I’ve always thought Magical Seaquarium At Fantasy Island would benifit from a starcloth. It would fit the theme of being under the sea and the rides name!

I didn't get to ride it, I got to the front of a 30 min queue, only to be told "an effect is broken, we are closing down for the day"
but from what I could see it looked like a really good upgrade whilst still keeping the original charm of Golden nugget

I love the update and the targets are now easier to hit now as they were quite hard before.
Also having the same load/unload area really has speeded the queue up.
I agree I love the new targets it’s much easier to shoot. I love the screens on the carriages as well, it really does add to the experience.

The ride revamp isn't too bad. I do prefer the old version but that's because I rode it at least 5-6 times every time I was at the park so I got too used to it and I enjoyed it. I don't mind the screens but you're too distracted from the targets and props to focus on your score, and the lighting is a little bit better. I'm not too fond of the guns as they're a lot more stiffer than than the old ones. I understand that they're new, but the old gun triggers are so easy and soft to press, they're near enough the same as arcade guns.

DSC_0305.JPG

what is the water wheel thingy for under the queue line? is it just a themeing element or was it built as part of the Manor's property itself?

what is the water wheel thingy for under the queue line? is it just a themeing element or was it built as part of the Manor's property itself?
It was just theming for the ride. There used to be a ride where Sheriff is now and it was called the Jungle Palladium.

There was 3 entrances to the building but only the middle door was used.
To the left of the entrance the water wheel was enclosed in a brick structure with a Iron gate on top so you could look in.
You entered the building where there was rows of bench’s (like the 1’s in Alton Towers 4D cinema)
Audio from the show
It started off as God’s wanted to scare us. Then Rory starts talking and the monkey band start playing and singing . There’s 2 areas to left and right to the main stage with Animals on turntables. Three birds are on the left side,On the right side 2 rabbits sing singing in the rain,then a big bird playing the keyboard joins the monkey band with a song called jungle rock. Then the place has a power cut. The electrician bit was good the sound system made it sound like he walked across the stage and repaired the electrics. But different lights would come on to he sorted it. By then both turntables had turned and on the right stage now was a bear with a rat in his hat,Then 2 laughing hyena would sing on the left stage. Then the parrots start signing and a girl bird comes down from the ceiling singing hey big spender and it all ended with a big finale with them all singing. For a 15 min show it was well put together.
I do feel sorry for fans of the park who visited after 2000 after before it felt like you were visiting Uk’s version of Disneyland

When Jungle Palladium was open the water wheel use to work.
Good post with the Jungle Palladium audio and a great description of the layout of the animatronic characters. I remember watching one of the shows that was made after it split up (the fish and chips cafe one), and I think it was the big bear that terrified me, which is one of my earliest memories ever :)

As for the large water wheel, I'm certain it actually worked for a short while after Golden Nuggets opened as well. It was a loooong time ago though, I'm not quite sure of the date/year when it stopped working. But I remember queuing for Golden Nuggets and seeing the wheel turnings and hearing the water rush through quite vividly actually.

In all the years the fish and chip show I only saw it once working. It was across the back of the restaurant and it featured the monkey band in the middle and on either side was the bear,the bird now on a swing fixed,3 singing birds and the 2 rabbits. It was a whole new 10-15 min show. Can’t remember any of the music but they were all dressed as cowboys/girls so think it must have been a country and western songs. There was a door to the left where staff went to start the show.
Rory the lion,the 2 laughing Hyena and a new Knight were put in the tea room restaurant which is now a staff restaurant/room. Also can’t remember the storyline but Rory was king and the laughing Hyenas were jesters and the Knight was scared.
The only thing left of the Jungle Palladium is the parrots which can still be seen today in the pizza restaurant. Not sure if they still work.

Reactions: Dan
The giraffe's in the corner were use a couple of years ago in the Rainforest Pizza, but I haven't seen the ex-Palladium Toucan or Parrots working for years. I've only ever see them open up all the buttons that control the animatronics once too. I made a post on another forum explaining how the restaurant was very theatrical in its heyday and how it made a great use of lots of the parks past. I just wish they'd bring back the old darker lighting, rather than the place being so light and also bring back the thunderstorm.

I can only remember seeing the Fish and Chips show and seeing the bear, I can't remember the original JP or the other show.

Those guns were the second guns that were used on the ride. I can't remember the year the original guns were removed but they used to be like flintlock guns. Same target system though.

Those guns were the second guns that were used on the ride. I can't remember the year the original guns were removed but they used to be like flintlock guns. Same target system though.
Wow! I was never a fan of the old guns personally, they always felt really cheap and the red just didn't go with the ride whatsoever. The shooting sound effect was also very off-putting. I've not been on Sheriff's Showdown yet, but I will be this year! My favourite part of the ride is the sheer amount of interactivity, every shot causes some sort of audio or visual effect to be triggered, it's so good.

I've done my homework just to confirm it. The 'time crisis' looking guns were added in 2010; sorry that's the only way I can describe what they looked like :ROFLMAO:. Old flintlock guns existed from 2000-2009.

I've done my homework just to confirm it. The 'time crisis' looking guns were added in 2010; sorry that's the only way I can describe what they looked like :ROFLMAO:. Old flintlock guns existed from 2000-2009.
Any reason for the original guns' removal? I'd assume reliability.

Very good description by the way :ROFLMAO:

Back