The Haunting

Harry

Opening in 1996 and replacing the Snake Train. The Haunting was the second Madhouse to open that was manufactured by Vekoma, with the first one being Villa Volta at Efteling, Netherlands.

The ride has a capacity of 40 riders maximum. The benches where the visitors are seated are placed on a swing that swings with a maximum angle of 30-40 degrees. The interior of the house is a drum built around this swing that can turn 360 degrees, giving the visitors the illusion that they themselves are turning upside down.

The ride cost £1,000,000.

Height Restrictions: Children under 1.2m must be accompanied by an adult.

17/05/17

Last edited:
I always thought the original animatronic head behind the painting and the show sequence in that room was the best one. The vampire one after that was not as good. Although the latest version is still good and it does appeal to younger guests. Just to clarify, the version that Drayton has, the gondola will swing a maximum of 15 degrees (7.5 degrees each way). The larger versions, such has Hex, swing 30 degrees (15 each way). The mad house page has been taken off Vekomas website for some reason, but it can still be viewed with the wayback machine, where the full specifications are listed.

I think the ride in its current form, overall, is the best. As it appeals to the target market of Drayton much more. My 4 year old son even enjoyed it!

The Haunting is looking absolutely fabulous for the 2019 season!

There have been no changes to the queueline that I noticed, the video in the RIPA Truck appears to have had an overlay added, I'm not sure if this is new or not. The main change for the ride is in the library, the third room you enter on your journey through Drayton Vicarage. The video has now been replaced and the "lady of the house" is on screen - she explains the story of the ride, which is very thorough and well thought out (I won't ruin with spoilers). We still retain the strobe, floor and falling mirror effects - but it is great to see the re-addition of the men suspended in the ceiling from the older version! The screen then has numerous jump scares and overall the ride has a much scarier feel, the ride would still be suitable for families however is now far more sinister - a welcomed change.

General effects were in good condition, the skeleton corridor was full of smoke, and the smell pods were in action. I would also say a new sound system has been installed to the ride as audio seemed much louder and of better quality.

Last edited:
when I went on when I was younger (the old animatronic head behind the painting) I loved it I can't wait to get on it this year its one of my favourite rides at drayton and I hope they have kept the ride as similar as it was back then

I thought the scene with the women in the picture was a good effect but thought she spoke for too long years and the ghost effects and the mirrors moving cut back.

Reactions: Dan
Some work appears to have commenced in the past week (taken 11/04/19) within The Haunting, they seem to be working on the cellar doors which have since had construction work which is evidently not finished as of yet. This queue line effect had coloured lighting behind them and a moving door. Anybody have any ideas what could be going on here?

It appears there has been a change of heart with the wooden cellar doors in The Haunting, following from the above image where they were being worked on it was evident that new wood was being added. However on our visit on 16/04/19 the doors appear to have been removed - it would be very disappointing to see this piece of theming removed and we hope that they will return at some point.

We went on it yesterday, and apart from someone screaming they wanted to get off, there was no other sound on the ride. It was slightly weird with the room creaking as it spins round and no sound track. I don't know if that's why it was closed today. We went again this morning and they had the staff members outside with the lab coats on telling guests it was being repaired but that was it.

Haunting doesn't seem to be doing well all this season, it was shut for a while earlier on this season which is a shame too, hope the park keep it going, its a great ride. I had a show similar to yours remlap, it is really strange just to hear the creaking, interesting how much sound adds to the ride - maybe this is the fault as happening to two different people maybe its regular? Do like that drayton keep staff on the outside of the ride to keep everyone up to date thuogh.

After my visit on 23/05, I must say the Haunting is looking very good for this season - I had previously seen the updates however many more effects seemed to be working this time which I have not noticed for quite a while, very nice to see the park paying attention to this.

Firstly, the audio in the garden was back on, and it was nice to see the trap-door effect returned better than ever. The first change I noticed was in the Library, the chair to the left of the focal theming was now rotating - I'm not sure if this has been working for a while or not, but this is the first time I noticed the effect in action. Could someone clarify?

Also, in the corridors leading to the chapel there was some sort of effect in place, I couldn't work out what it was or whether it was ride machinery, but some form of air burst appeared to be on in the corridors - again, could someone clarify?

The chapel was very good, felt more forceful than previous visits and the effects were good - my only comment would be that I would love to see the leg-ticklers back in action and also turning the audio up / upgrading the sound system - the sound seems quite "flat" in here.

The exit data-retrieval screens have also been repaired, nice to see them keeping on top of these things. Overall, the Haunting was the best I've seen it for many years, and it was great to see some of these effects in action, and a more forceful chapel ride experience.

The sound has been fixed and as Dan said above, a lot of effects have also made a return which makes for a much better experience overall! Another example of great maintenance by Drayton Manor.

Back