The Haunting

Went on the haunting for the first time yesterday, and Ghostman is awful. The corridor/ basement scene was poorly executed, the only time I couldn't see the skeletons was when they were moving (I.E. the only time I should have been able to see them). the library was amazing but for a couple of things, first, get rid of Ghostman, and make the doors open automatically, when the scene ends, and have some kind of projection to split the guests into two lines. Second, make a point of the bodies appearing above the ceiling. keep the light on them, and make some noise up there, get the guests to notice it, I was the only one who saw them, and that was by complete chance. In the chapel, there is a ridiculously long pause between the ride docking and Agatha appearing. It also seemed odd that we had clearly finished the ride then had to wait for an effect. reprogram the ride, have it dock with the ride upside-down, have a pause of about a second while a laughing sound is heard, then have Agatha rise still laughing, then strobes as she re-enters the tomb, as the the ride docks to unload. I like the idea of Dr. X guiding you through, and then when the madhouse ends, the doors open and he rushes you out before anything more can happen, then get rid of the voting, and have a scare, or a congratulations scene, or just something that builds the story, because a lot of guests came out saying "Oh, is that it" or "that was s**t" and it just needs a little bit more. Also, add a door from the corridor between the library and the madhouse to let the hosts back into the op booth (The trailer), then, let the next group into the library, and a new group into the trailer. the use of the bridge as a batching are would definitely help the queue and the corridor should return into a walkthrough portion, don't hold the guests, just let them in, keeping the library door shut, then as the library door opens, trigger the lights to go out in the library and the corridor/ basement, cue strobe lights and skeletons, then Dr. X tells you "get out! move quickly into the library, and get into the centre of the room, we'll get you out of here." then the library as said earlier, perhaps pint out the bodies by having the lady of the house mention "the last ones that came" and point out the bodies. if they did that, it would cut the cheese, have a bit more fear, without making it a horror show, also linking the lady of the house to Agatha and having her try to trap you there with supernatural powers making the room spin would be nice, perhaps the final scene could be a congratulations/ debriefing by Dr. X to round it off. But definitely a great ride nonetheless and exactly the sort of thing the park need. If anyone wants I could go into an op plan to improve capacity, but I feel like I've talked a lot already.

You sound like you have some interesting and easily adapted ideas for the ride! It’s definitely needs some tuning & a better finale.

I rode The Haunting today, and there seem to have been some improvements since I last rode in July 2021, and potentially since the above review.

The Pre-Show in the Trailer was unchanged, still Dr Ghostman but would love to see something done with this to make the video a little more impactful and less laughable.

The Basement was really effective, the lights in the ceiling were dimmed and flickering, there also seemed to be fewer bulbs lit up which meant that it was impossible to see the skeletons and their mechanisms before the show began. Once the show began, it was clear that there has been audio work undertaken, as the sound was loud and immersive, and it was also great to see that new LED UV Lighting has been fitted to showcase the skeletons. I also noticed that the skeleton at the rear of the Basement was functional again, and that the strobe lighting turned off after motion, so it was impossible to see the mechanisms once the show had finished too. My only disappointment was the lack of smoke, but it was clear that there are new smoke machines in the ceiling.

The Library was also improved compared to July, the wall lamps dimmed to a minimal level once the show began, with the "stage" at the front of the room being lit by lighting hidden in the ceiling. The wall lamps flickered and turned off whilst the bodies in the ceiling were being showcased, this naturally drew attention to the ceiling and 90% of the group seemed to notice them. The sound was also very loud, and the lighting turned off yet again for the mirror section of the show, which really added to the atmosphere. Again, no smoke in this room which was a disappointment.

The ride itself seemed great, the audio was very loud and full, a definite improvement since my last ride and it sounds as though there has potentially been a new sound system fitted? Again, no smoke in this room which was a disappointment. With regard to the above comments about the ride, we were in a large group and the ride docked with the effects starting about 3 seconds later; with my limited knowledge of pneumatics I don't think it would be possible to open the Coffin with the ride out of the docked position since I imagine an air feed from a compressor is required to open this and raise the figure, I don't think this would be possible if the ride is out of the home position.

I think the presence of some sort of "host" is fundamental, since the staff are employed as Ride Operators and not actors, so the host adds some flow to the storyline. But as you say, the choice of host could definitely be changed to remove the "cheese" and make the ride a little more immersive. I think it's important that the groups are accompanied by a member of staff at all times, since Drayton Manor seems to be prone to graffiti and it would be a terrible shame if this were to happen to the Haunting which appears to be relatively scathe-free, automated safety briefs about seating procedures and harnesses closing would definitely be welcomed to reduce faffing and time spent waiting for groups to quieten so that they can hear the staff, automatic doors would also be nice. I think a big saving could be made from having the cellar as a walk-through and automated safety briefs.

It's great to see The Haunting getting so much attention, at multiple points throughout the day I heard guests talking about "the haunted house" and the queue was well out of the front gates today, heading towards Apocalypse.

That sounds like some improvements have happened since I rode it on the 24th, however, with note to the pneumatics, as far as I am aware, the compressor is contained inside the coffin, or if not, is attached at the point where the bench attaches. therefore, in both scenarios, the rotation of the room itself is irrelevant as so long as the bench is at 0°, the connection can be made, even if the room is at 180°. the wait does make me wonder though if the connection is moving, I.E. the swing docks, and then the pneumatic plug moves into the socket, as this would be a defined minimum time to operate the effect, or it could be that there is an air tank and the 3 seconds is the time needed to fill it. either way, nice to see the changes, and it does make you wonder if looping reads these forums.:)

That sounds like some improvements have happened since I rode it on the 24th, however, with note to the pneumatics, as far as I am aware, the compressor is contained inside the coffin, or if not, is attached at the point where the bench attaches. therefore, in both scenarios, the rotation of the room itself is irrelevant as so long as the bench is at 0°, the connection can be made, even if the room is at 180°. the wait does make me wonder though if the connection is moving, I.E. the swing docks, and then the pneumatic plug moves into the socket, as this would be a defined minimum time to operate the effect, or it could be that there is an air tank and the 3 seconds is the time needed to fill it. either way, nice to see the changes, and it does make you wonder if looping reads these forums.:)
The compressor can't be in the coffin, it would be far too noisy. There is one central compressor which is used by all pneumatics within the ride.

After doing some research I read this:

The new story takes places 20 years later, where after two decades of neglect and abandonment, a company known as Research into Paranormal Activity (RIPA) was called in to resolve the mystery once and for all.

RIPA, a group made up of young scientists at the forefront of metaphysical research, proceeded to set up a series of experiments at the vicarage. After weeks of investigating and analysing test results, they realised that almost everyone entering the vicarage was experiencing different sightings, symptoms and feelings.

Upon entering The Haunting, members of the public become volunteers of RIPA’s experiment and will be asked to report their findings at the end of the experience. This will provide RIPA with valuable data for its research.

Now it would explain why the danger/go away signage was put in the queue line and the windows covered over but in the queue line video this isn’t even talked about.
Now I hope the video is now redone and a mad research professor talks to you from his lab saying he needs your help to finally prove there Paranormal activity is the Drayton old vicarage.
You enter the skeleton corridor and the button is pressed straight away and you hear the professor again saying this hi again this is the last place we had radio contact with the former team then the women who in the picture voice cuts in and says who are you get out while you got a chance laughing then the skeletons come down.
You go into the next room and the professor voice is heard again and says he hopes you all are ok and are very brave then the women in the picture comes alive and says Brave laughing if my skeletons didn’t scare you off then this will. Then all the effects come on and at the end she says leave now or join the former team members and the light comes on and you see the former team while she’s laughing. The professor voice is heard again good work team we getting good reading but we must move on though them 2 doors.
As you walk though the door to the ride you hear her again saying turn back now or you be sorry laughing.
As you enter the ride and your safety in your seat the professor voice cuts in and says we in the final resting place of the souls trapped in this house and she cuts in and says now your trapped and nowhere to go laughing and the ride starts up as normal with the projectors but when it parks back into the position you hear her voice again now it’s time to join us continuous laughing as her body comes out the tomb. Then the professor voice cuts in again saying we managed to free you and thanks for your help then you hear her 1 more time as you exit laughing. The buttons/screens have been removed and you enter the shop but half been turned into his lab where you can buy stuff like in the former haunting shop with the other half of the shop staying the same gift shop.

The haunting on my 2nd visit was a bit better.

Loading was better than ever with the new loading operations the queue is never to big.

1st Pre show room they started dropping the metal chain again to make people jump.

2nd pre show was worst then ever both skeletons didn’t move so think to this is sorted they turned the lights out above so you see nothing but the 2 smoke machines and strobes worked.

3rd pre show room the room is still to light but the floor did move a bit but not like how it use to do and there a red light underneath now.

4th the ride itself was excellent, Sound was loud enough to not hear the motors but when the head came out the coffin it was facing the wrong way.

5th the buttons and screen still not working

sounds like it is getting there with all of the effects starting to get back on and everything but still not the best i imagine in the 2022 season it will be fully operational but i do hope they fix these points you have said

Well the ride got to be hit and miss as went on the last ride of the day and the basement all that worked was the 1 strobe light.
The next room the floor didn’t move and a projector light wasn’t working for the soul. Also the light which lights up the dead bodies didn’t come on. Only good thing was the amount of smoke that came out of the front.
The main room the body still facing the wrong way and the outer room was having major problems.
Also the buttons work again but not the monitors.
Also in the exit shop there’s tables and chairs now.

Yeah the monitors weren't working when I went on it, but that was the only issue, I guess they turned em off to save some money or something:unsure:

Well the ride got to be hit and miss as went on the last ride of the day and the basement all that worked was the 1 strobe light.
The next room the floor didn’t move and a projector light wasn’t working for the soul. Also the light which lights up the dead bodies didn’t come on. Only good thing was the amount of smoke that came out of the front.
The main room the body still facing the wrong way and the outer room was having major problems.
Also the buttons work again but not the monitors.
Also in the exit shop there’s tables and chairs now.
Definitely hit and miss at the moment. We went on it a week ago and everything bar the monitors was working, and the sound in the mad house was great, but that was the only time this year that we've been on it and it all worked.

So I guess i'm quite lucky as everything worked again today, but I can finally reveal why some people get the floor working in the library and others don't. On checking the op panel for the room, I found there were 2 buttons. when the lower one is pressed, the show runs but the floor remains still. when both are pressed, the floor is added in as well. I haven't got a clue what the criteria are for running the floor, but this appears to be why it is so erratic in it's operation.

Furthemore, due to about 6 families needing to leave ue to upset children, the attendant had to arrange for the exit doors of the madhouse to be opened while we were in the library after the show, and by the time he did it, the show actually reset, and I learned a lot about the capacity of the ride. the shows reset by turning off every single light and effect, lights, lady projection mirrors, etc, then turning them al back on, then turning off the unnecessary ones, and it turns out, when you leave the library, it is considerably brighter than when you enter. In addition, when the show reset, the smoke machines triggered in the basement, as they do when the ghostman video ends. this means that loading and ghostman and basement and library take about 17 minutes, so when the guests enter library, the next attendant goes out of the staffroom into the basement, out into the briefing trailer, hangs the chain to stop guests at the door, and then goes and fetches the next group. this means that the rides abysmal capacity of 120 RPH os actually its maximum capacity, which i impressive in the number of guests it seams to get through in the day.

B805E378-5700-49CA-9BF5-08D9DFE4C4B0.jpeg

That’s got to be the worst operation I had ever on the haunting for starters as it was after the fireworks they only had 2 ops on the ride so it was back to its normal 15+ min wait. The Skeleton room well 1 of the skeletons moved but as it was so dark you could just about see it no smoke effects, the next room no smoke, no floor movement needs totally put back to its 2016 program and the ride itself speakers were quiet and you could hear the outer building moving and she was still facing the wrong way. Needs more projectors in there and the screens at the exit need removing if they not gonna be turned on again

Reactions: Dan
I always thought it would've been great if They brought back its original story, but have new effects.

The POV By British Theme Park archive really shows you how dark it was in terms of its tone. It didn't need sudden jumpscares to make you terrified.

The Haunting nowadays just isn't that scary sorry. I never Found The redo of the lorry I to R.I.P.A as an upgrade, its very tackyinside with the stock Sound effects, LED lights, and Dr Ghostman. I've seen for myself, most guests don't even scream of jump a bit. The only demograph that's always frightened are children under the age of 7 when I go on (no joke)

At least the ride isn't bad, but it isn't that great either unfortunately...

Back