Pirate Adventure

The area you are on about Andy is this here.

View attachment 5755

You can see the lift hill just about in this photo. The boats left the exit station, turned to the right, went up this hill and straight into the loading station....you can also see the doorway you would have looked through.

The maintenance area was rather simple. I can't remeber how many boats it would fit, but it was to the right just after you passed the woman getting water poured over her head. You could move part of rhe metal guide channel out the way to direct boats into this area. There was a small crane to remove the boats out the water and out of the channel. This area was immediately behind the doorway you can see from the train.
All that is surely still all in place? It must be like and abandoned ride in there now. It would be so interesting to see what it’s like now. Someone somewhere must know!

All that is surely still all in place? It must be like and abandoned ride in there now. It would be so interesting to see what it’s like now. Someone somewhere must know!
Staff have been in there and have taken pictures but they not allowed to put them on the internet. The Dark ride database pictures were taken during the time the ride was been stripped out in 2019.

Is it possible to

upload the

Is it possible to upload the whole book? I don’t know if it’s a copyright infringement seeing as they are giving it away for free? Just the chances of ever getting one will be close to zero!
Please do not upload the entire book to the site.. It will be a lot of scanned pages and that will be a heavy load on our server >.>

The wood they put up on the building looks awful
1E4228EB-6A4D-426D-9001-E64B5902BFFD.jpeg

I'm still hoping they paint or do more to it - makes sense that it's there to cover the damage at least

Misc: Most animatronics were pneumatically powered from a single large air compressor that ran compressed air pipes throughout the attractions to computer controlled valves to power the movements to the animatronics.

Most pneumatic animatronics in Pirate Adventure were solenoid valve controlled, but yes the solenoids themselves were controlled/configured using computer software, using bespoke cicuit boards which were built by a Golding owned company. Obviously very few animatronics (bar I think the captain on the ship in the battle scene) had complicated movements beyond 3 or 4 motions, so a raspberry pi and relay board coded using Python would work just as fine in programming the basic ones now, with the solenoids input signals corresponding to specific units of air pressure being delivered to the (usually two) pneumatic actuators used for each figure. The programming can quite easily allow for repeated cycles of motions over periods of time too.

The difficulty of dealing with these kinds of equipment arises when you need animatronics with complex movements, especially when you're using a number of double acting actuators in unison for things like smoothed out motions or facial movements. The type of cannons that were used in the Pirate Adventure battle scene were also harder to programme as the cylinder 'recharge' time needed to deliver the large scale back and forth movements of the entire cannons was a lot longer, at least using the actuators that were already built in to them.

Interesting fact: the three Farmer Studios animatronics added in 1996 still used the original 1990 built air compressor as a feeding source. I would have thought they would have built a new compressor to save them needing to network all the way to the original compressor, but clearly the piping network was easy to work with, even going all the way to the front of the Pirate Adventure queue- line.

Last edited:
Most pneumatic animatronics in Pirate Adventure were solenoid valve controlled, but yes the solenoids themselves were controlled/configured using computer software, using bespoke cicuit boards which were built by a Golding owned company. Obviously very few animatronics (bar I think the captain on the ship in the battle scene) had complicated movements beyond 3 or 4 motions, so a raspberry pi and relay board coded using Python would work just as fine in programming the basic ones now, with the solenoids input signals corresponding to specific units of air pressure being delivered to the (usually two) pneumatic actuators used for each figure. The programming can quite easily allow for repeated cycles of motions over periods of time too.

The difficulty of dealing with these kinds of equipment arises when you need animatronics with complex movements, especially when you're using a number of double acting actuators in unison for things like smoothed out motions or facial movements. The type of cannons that were used in the Pirate Adventure battle scene were also harder to programme as the cylinder 'recharge' time needed to deliver the large scale back and forth movements of the entire cannons was a lot longer, at least using the actuators that were already built in to them.

Interesting fact: the three Farmer Studios animatronics added in 1996 still used the original 1990 built air compressor as a feeding source. I would have thought they would have built a new compressor to save them needing to network all the way to the original compressor, but clearly the piping network was easy to work with, even going all the way to the front of the Pirate Adventure queue- line.

Fascinating, what were the three Farmer animatronics added in 1996? I heard one was one of the parrots?

I think it was the 2 pirates that were in the queue line as 1 of them sat on a shelf reading a book and the other just moved his hand back and forth in the hammock.

Fascinating, what were the three Farmer animatronics added in 1996? I heard one was one of the parrots?
I think it was the 2 pirates that were in the queue line as 1 of them sat on a shelf reading a book and the other just moved his hand back and forth in the hammock.
They were Horatio (the parrot sitting on the treasure in the station), Peg leg polly (the other parrot who used to be next to the front entrance of the ride, inside a cabin, removed last year), and the Book reading sailor, which I am in the process of restoring. Pictured below:

The small pipe you can see directly next to his feet is the inlet pipe responsible for the first part of his two way leg motion. There is another pipe around the back of the cylinder responsible for the second 'retraction' part of the motion moving his leg back in to its original place. Both of those pipes would usually be set up to a single two way solenoid valve using push in connectors.

The sailor is in far better condition than some of the other pirates, mainly because he was up on a perch and out of reach
1712435889043.png

He's actually reading an old 1990s Leicester catalogue, which makes complete sense given Farmer Studios' old home location. It's full of old company listings within the Leicester area. I took a picture of the book here, taken around car park for the park main office in 2020, shortly after he was removed.
1712449025557.png

Last edited:
I wonder if the parrot was removed so they could restore him back stage.
Do u hope to get him working again?
I do wonder if the sound and speaker system is still all in the building?

The pirate sign started to show itself again
3210A2DF-C0BF-4812-8672-EACFE5F61D81.jpeg

Also I had a look in the bush and pieces of the frontage is in there
E84E4E87-72E1-40C0-B9B3-E545B701A2A1.jpeg
3EC1F35B-B5AB-4439-A879-675E28E6FEE9.jpeg

It’s so light no wonder it came away from the building

Back