G-Force

Dan

Team Member
Team Member
G-Force was a Maurer-Söhne X-Car Rollercoaster opened in the Action Park section of the Theme Park by G4 in 2005. The ride was the third X-Car coaster to be built in the world and was the only X-Car coaster to be built in the UK. The ride featured an inverted lift hill and also a rare element called a Bent Cuban Eight.

The rollercoaster had significant amounts of downtime in the 2018 season, being open for only a few days after a refurbishment and modifications to the ride vehicles, suspected to add comfort. It has been rumoured, but not confirmed, that the ride will be departing from the park for the 2019 season, and has been removed from the website. Currently, the ride has not left the park.

What is your opinion on G-Force as a rollercoaster? Do you feel that it will be removed from the park or reopened? What would you like to see replace G-Force?

Will be disappointed if it does get removed, as I only got to ride it once and didn't find it too bad to be honest!

I will be glad to see it go and I wouldn’t be sad to see Shockwave go as well as that’s as rough. Think it’s my age now ?.
Last time I went on g force in 2017 it hurt my ribs.
Bring back the Klondike Gold Mine coaster.

I remember a while back I posted some G-force photos from 2005, some taken by myself before the ride was fully built and some taken to showcase and promote the ride, but these sadly were lost, so here they are again!

Here's one (not amazing quality) from June 2005 shortly after the last piece of track was welded in place. I could not get any closer due to the construction fences as seen below, but you can see how the track had a nice smart appearance to it when it opened. It's a shame it didn't age well.

An old promotional banner from early 2005:
49609874_2122363574453566_6705551591056867328_n.jpg

The post modernist design of G-force and its station when it was new in 2005.
49691967_2122377647785492_4486358086751092736_n.jpg

The tesla coils generating sparks of electricity in the foreground (they ceased active operation only a couple of years after G-force opened) and the projector screens displaying images from a piece of software from Soundspectrum; aptly named...G-force! The music played inside here included a number of trance and chillout themes including some from Gary Scargill.
Another view that displays the tesla coils more clearly:
42795594_1987849517904973_1950839772943482880_n.jpg

Despite appearing as the prototype Maurer X car, the ride never did take off as intended, and its ultimate fate for many is one that is quite easy to accept; most of the problems lying in the restraint system and very brief layout. But as can be seen, when it was built, it did things which were incredibly innovative and modernistic.

Last edited:
You look like you’re having a great time! Was G-Force a firm favourite of yours at Drayton Manor? What’s your opinion on it’s rumoured removal?

Been on it a few times. Not really a firm favourite though.. hated the inverted lift. Last time I went on in 2017 it didn't seem as smooth as previous years and I came off with a banging headache. Still surprising to see it potentially go though so quickly.

Reactions: Dan
Been on it a few times. Not really a firm favourite though.. hated the inverted lift. Last time I went on in 2017 it didn't seem as smooth as previous years and I came off with a banging headache. Still surprising to see it potentially go though so quickly.
Oh okay, the inverted lift is unique, but it's not the favourite part of the ride for anybody. I actually found that the ride got smoother as time went on, although most people disagree with me.

I agree, it's surprising to see it go and I hope it is given a worthy replacement, and I hope that this next investment pulls the crowds in for future investments in the theme park. I hope they theme the next investment to Action Park's partial theme from Shockwave and Splash Canyon.

I always remember peeking through the door before the last set of stairs when a member of staff went in there, the computers were antiquated! I'd love to know what they were to controls, I'd assume the visualisers in the queue.

Does anybody know why the Tesla coils in the queueline were taken out of action? They must've been great to see, never saw them myself.

Does anybody know why the Tesla coils in the queueline were taken out of action? They must've been great to see, never saw them myself.
I think it was something to do with how loud they were.

Reactions: Dan
As of today G Force is still standing. The cars appear to have completely disappeared but all the signage is still there for the time being. There doesn’t appear to be any signs of deconstruction, however the ride has been completely omitted from the new map whereas slash canyon is still on there.

With Pleasurewood Hills recently confirming that their Rattlesnake coaster will return for 2019 with a new theme (which looks like a chicken/ farmyard theme) I’m now wondering wether Drayton will see this and think that if they leave G Force up for another few years, have the money to spend on refurbishing it, and then reopen it. Considering Drayton is more famous across the country than Pleasurewood (mainly due to Thomas) surely it’s something they could consider to get people back if it gets a new name and theme!

Disappointing that I only got to ride it once. Didn't find the restraints uncomfortable though, what about everyone else?

Back