Drayton at 70

Screenshot 2020-03-05 at 20.53.54.png

Love the usage of the new 70th Anniversary logo over on the Drayton Manor Website!

They'll probably have different acts or events on this potential new stage!!
I might be completely off the mark but I’m not sure they would put a stage in that area. They appear to have repurposed the Christmas present on the carousel stage as a birthday present so it would make sense that they do something there.

Reactions: Dan
Join the ultimate party as we celebrate 70 years of creating fun family memories on 4th - 5th April. The weekend will be jam-packed with dance parties, interactive shows, roaming entertainers, over 100 rides & attractions and so much more.
As if that wasn’t enough, we will also be offering an exclusive 4 for £70 ticket* just for the anniversary weekend. That’s only £17.50 per person! But hurry, we have a limited availability. Grab yours quickly.

70th_Whats_On_Web_Graphic.png

70th_WO_web_headers(2).png

The offering of events/ shows is okay, considering they are only on for one weekend, which also happens to be the same weekend Alton Towers celebrate their 40th anniversary (which I’m expecting to be more popular/ showcased on social media). It also looks to be aimed at very young/ Thomas Land guests, which is a shame for those who are more interested in the thrill rides/ the park’s history like me. I’d would have liked it if they did some sort of history/ behind the scenes tour that you paid for, as it could have been successful!

All in all I’m looking forward to seeing how the celebrations work for the park, and hopefully we see more in terms of anniversary merchandise on sale. However with a lot of Drayton Manor branded items reduced in price, I’m not sure how likely that is.

The offering of events/ shows is okay, considering they are only on for one weekend, which also happens to be the same weekend Alton Towers celebrate their 40th anniversary (which I’m expecting to be more popular/ showcased on social media). It also looks to be aimed at very young/ Thomas Land guests, which is a shame for those who are more interested in the thrill rides/ the park’s history like me. I’d would have liked it if they did some sort of history/ behind the scenes tour that you paid for, as it could have been successful!

All in all I’m looking forward to seeing how the celebrations work for the park, and hopefully we see more in terms of anniversary merchandise on sale. However with a lot of Drayton Manor branded items reduced in price, I’m not sure how likely that is.
I didn’t realise towers was 40 this year.

It looks like Drayton Bear is making a few appearances which will be nice :) - I agree that I'm a little dissapointed that it is such a young persons focus.

Didn't know it was the same weekend as the Towers celebration though ( I wonder if I can get two trips in.)

It looks like Drayton Bear is making a few appearances which will be nice :) - I agree that I'm a little dissapointed that it is such a young persons focus.

Didn't know it was the same weekend as the Towers celebration though ( I wonder if I can get two trips in.)
I got the bear was part of the Christmas celebrations, now it kind of feels like they’re recycling it a bit...

I got the bear was part of the Christmas celebrations, now it kind of feels like they’re recycling it a bit...

I guess that is true... but I do find him cute.

Could become a permanent mascot icon like Henry Hound was at Alton (for a while)

I guess that is true... but I do find him cute.

Could become a permanent mascot icon like Henry Hound was at Alton (for a while)
It was good a Christmas and nice that the kids got a mini version from Santa it just doesn’t seem very imaginative for their 70th anniversary.

Santa said he was his gift to Drayton Manor so makes sense his gonna be around next season. I think Rory needs to be around more as he was so popular at the park in the 80’s and 90’s

Whilst these are great offerings for children, especially with the sheer amount of shows which surely puts Drayton as one of the best Theme Parks in the UK in terms of entertainment, I'd have liked to have seen more so I am hoping this is just provisional and more is to come. 70 years is a massive achievement.

Bryan the Bear is great, and is a good nod to the history of the park, clearly referencing the Bryan's who have managed the park since it opened in 1949, there is also a nod to the Bryan's in Thomas Land - has anybody spotted it?

The one thing I will say, is that these hopefully provisional arrangements don't make much of a reference to what the park was. They don't mention any of the rides that transformed Drayton Manor from an amusement park to a theme park, it would be great to have some sort of exhibit in the park, maybe even pictures dotted around the park showing what once occupied areas. I'd also love to hear ride music integrated around the park, it doesn't have to play constantly, but every song or two have an old ride soundtrack... I'd love that.

These arrangements, to me, show that the park seems to have forgotten where it came from, forgotten its roots almost. These arrangements are perfect for kids or young families, which I know appears to be their target audience, but it most certainly hasn't been for 70 years. I'd like to see more of a representation of the parks past and I'm sure many others would too? Also, I know the park don't seem to like cashing in on enthusiasts, but there is a real opportunity here... Provide some experiences, give us some talks from the Bryan family, play us some old ride music, exhibit some artifacts from old rides, give us some behind the scenes, show us what is coming to make these 70 years just as memorable.

An anniversary is as much about the past as it is the present and future, so let's share that too?

You talking about the Bryan’s garage sign by the sweet shop?
I think 90% of the visitors now only really care for Thomas land and the park Know that this. Which is quite sad as by the time by daughter hits the 1.4m tall range she will be bored of Drayton Manor as it’s 20 years since the park last added a ride for the 1.4m tall range.

These arrangements, to me, show that the park seems to have forgotten where it came from, forgotten its roots almost. These arrangements are perfect for kids or young families, which I know appears to be their target audience, but it most certainly hasn't been for 70 years. I'd like to see more of a representation of the parks past and I'm sure many others would too?
An anniversary is as much about the past as it is the present and future, so let's share that too?
Unfortunately you'd forget Drayton even had a past if it wasn't for the surviving attractions from its 'golden years' still standing (subjective I guess so I'll add that this is my opinion). The park has unfortunately become a true shadow of its former self and I definitely agree that these celebration event arrangements whilst good at appealing to young children do not seem to acknowledge the huge history that the site has had for the last 70 years (or beyond 70 years if we're talking about the wider history).

We need to remember that the 70th anniversary weekend is just that. A weekend. They are celebrating their 70th SEASON. I'm sure that there will be more in the pipeline.
Well, we certainly hope so. But if there are government enforced restrictions (that go beyond population density of an area) and these affect theme parks, then it may well extend further in to the season and this will be out of the parks control. But this is speculative and as things stand the park seems set to open so let's see what happens.
Also,
This isn't the best researched article in the world and it isn't properly cited, however, the point of theme parks being affected by future measures is a valid one. Either way, it's looking like a troublesome 70th season no matter what happens. Let's hope they manage to pull through

Unfortunately you'd forget Drayton even had a past if it wasn't for the surviving attractions from its 'golden years' still standing (subjective I guess so I'll add that this is my opinion). The park has unfortunately become a true shadow of its former self and I definitely agree that these celebration event arrangements whilst good at appealing to young children do not seem to acknowledge the huge history that the site has had for the last 70 years (or beyond 70 years if we're talking about the wider history).

Well, we certainly hope so. But if there are government enforced restrictions (that go beyond population density of an area) and these affect theme parks, then it may well extend further in to the season and this will be out of the parks control. But this is speculative and as things stand the park seems set to open so let's see what happens.
Also,
This isn't the best researched article in the world and it isn't properly cited, however, the point of theme parks being affected by future measures is a valid one. Either way, it's looking like a troublesome 70th season no matter what happens. Let's hope they manage to pull through
Oh dear. The coronavirus seems to be ruining everyone's fun because now I'm waiting to hear from the park on an update for its opening!!!

Back