Penguins

Elise

Team Member
Team Member
The other day at the Auction I was talking with a member of staff about the Zoo.
She mentioned that the park are hoping to get some African Penguins in time.

What do you think of the flightless friends?

I think they're fun and full of personality as well as a fan favourite when it comes to zoos.

I agree, the penguins would be a good attraction to the zoo, whenever I have been to a zoo the penguin enclosure is always amongst the busiest, it'd definitely bring some life to that part of the zoo too, especially with the potential of keeper talks and Zoo Experiences like Chessington offer with their penguins.

Penguins are a popular of any zoo, and Drayton would be no exception, I really hope they get cracking on the new penguin enclosure soon and get some in. I understand things like this take time, but some progress on the penguin enclosure would be great to see.

I agree, the penguins would be a good attraction to the zoo, whenever I have been to a zoo the penguin enclosure is always amongst the busiest, it'd definitely bring some life to that part of the zoo too, especially with the potential of keeper talks and Zoo Experiences like Chessington offer with their penguins.

Penguins are a popular of any zoo, and Drayton would be no exception, I really hope they get cracking on the new penguin enclosure soon and get some in. I understand things like this take time, but some progress on the penguin enclosure would be great to see.

Agreed - Penguin experiences are popular with all ages too.
The partner did the one at CWOA and found it amazing - the keeper was passionate and informative and the feeding was fun too

Also, penguin adoption / selling penguin merchandise are both pretty good for the park too (who doesn't want a cuddly penguin? )

I speak to the zoo staff and they said they hope the penguins and the Lamar walk-thou will open 2021/22 as this years budget is all been made available for the theme park. They said every year there’s a budget and what’s left after the hotel and theme park been given out the Zoo gets the rest.

Agreed - Penguin experiences are popular with all ages too.
The partner did the one at CWOA and found it amazing - the keeper was passionate and informative and the feeding was fun too

Also, penguin adoption / selling penguin merchandise are both pretty good for the park too (who doesn't want a cuddly penguin? )
Absolutely, I am sure the park offered animal adoption years back, perhaps somebody else could confirm this.

But adoption packages would be very popular I am sure, especially as birthday / Christmas gifts.

Absolutely, I am sure the park offered animal adoption years back, perhaps somebody else could confirm this.

But adoption packages would be very popular I am sure, especially as birthday / Christmas gifts.

I feel like they did ^
They're really popular in other parks too

I'm wondering if the financial impact of the Covid-19 closure will have put the Penguin and Lemur House developments at bay until another season. It'd be a shame if this was the case as they could really rejuvenate the zoo (only thing left to be changed would be Red Panda, Fishing Cat and Lynx enclosures), but equally understandable if postponed.

Does anyone have an idea of what is happening with the penguins because I remember them at the park years ago, so what’s going on with them, I remember the concept art put up in the surrounding fences and it never actually became a thing in the zoo

I think we be seeing a lot of work done on the zoo over the next 5 years as the owners know more about wildlife parks and aquariums than theme parks atm
I think we need to wait to see what looping do in the next 12 months before assuming what they will do. Rumor's can be damaging, especially to the staff that work there. Looping have 16 parks which only include 3 other animal parks and 2 aquariums, so they obviously have a good knowledge of theme parks as well as animal parks.

You only got to look at West Midlands Safari Park since the looping group taken over. They updated the fun fair with re-theming rides but they really been working on the lodges, Safari and other Animal enclosures.

Back