Coronavirus and Theme Parks

remlap

Just a general question, what effect do you think the coronavirus outbreak will have on park openings and attendance this year?

If there continues to be an increase in UK cases everyday for multiple weeks now (which could be likely) then I’d imagine somewhere like Drayton Manor would close or significantly reduce their opening hours. Or they might set a limit onto how many guests can be in a park at one time. I wouldn’t be surprised if hand sanitisers are placed around the park come opening day, as I’d imagine it’s something a lot of theme parks are looking into now.

I’m hoping that we’ll see a decrease in the amount of Coronavirus cases soon, however I’m not sure when that’ll be.

Well there talk about within the next 2 weeks that football games could be played behind closed doors to the virus gets better. So you could be seeing that the main season could be delayed to at least the Easter holidays for all leisure places.

The park have put signs up in the toilets about cleaning your hands fully for 20 seconds
94C28DB5-515A-47FE-84C7-541A696F9DE5.jpeg

It's definitely more relevant now than ever before, given the government response (whatever your views on the response or political views) has changed somewhat.
If there are bans on mass gatherings, or encouragements of self isolation like in Italy when the peak stage hits, this surely is going to be yet another bad year for businesses like Drayton Manor that rely on people venturing outdoors, and suffer badly when demand side shocks hit the economy. On top of everything else, bad news for the industry (and the economy as a whole), and obviously the effects of the virus itself

Let's take a British stance on it, have a pint and wait for it this to blow over

Personally I believe Drayton will end up closing the park temporarily if the virus continues as it is. They will likely not have enough visitors to be profitable, and will probably be encouraged to close anyway to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

I think at the moment they wouldn’t lose much as they only open at weekends but if it’s still bad in 3 weeks time then they really gonna be hit hard for the Easter holidays.

Back