Coronavirus and Theme Parks

I think the biggest thing is has Drayton got the funds to set up the park with 1 way traffic and for every member of staff to have PPE. Just think of the queues for the coasters if they only filling the end rows on Shockwave if your not in the same household and missing out rows In between. Even to just have them temperature gauges will not be cheap.

I think the biggest thing is has Drayton got the funds to set up the park with 1 way traffic and for every member of staff to have PPE. Just think of the queues for the coasters if they only filling the end rows on Shockwave if your not in the same household and missing out rows In between. Even to just have them temperature gauges will not be cheap.

They definately have the space around the park for a 1 way system.

Social distancing in the park is very possible but rides / shops are where the main troubles will be.
Thomas land rides are a lot closer together too

They definately have the space around the park for a 1 way system.

Social distancing in the park is very possible but rides / shops are where the main troubles will be.
Thomas land rides are a lot closer together too
Also, given Drayton predominantly cater for families now, how on earth do you get Kids to socially distance in queue lines and not touch things/put their mouths on railings etc.

I agree they have the space, but I'm not sure how they could implement it successfully, and given Drayton are very risk averse now, would it be enjoyable?

I also agree with the funds issue, this could cost them a fortune and we have no idea how long these procedures would be necessary for. I can't see how they could operate any of the arcades safely as they are all coin-op.

I hope not, reading many reports they do very little to actually protect anyone unless you have a proper filtered mask like medical professionals. I think a lot of the reason some places are insisting on masks is a form of 'security theatre' it makes them appear to be doing something and reassures some of their guests.

It is what it is though, and if that's the requirement, I guess we just have to live with it for the time being :(
I'll be there on reopening day probably depending when that is and I'll probably try Stormforce 10 with it a mask if that's the case!

Reactions: Dan
I really broke this post but...

Also, given Drayton predominantly cater for families now, how on earth do you get Kids to socially distance in queue lines and not touch things/put their mouths on railings etc.

I agree they have the space, but I'm not sure how they could implement it successfully, and given Drayton are very risk averse now, would it be enjoyable?

- Exactly my main concern.
Children / families are going to be the hardest thing in my eyes for social distancing with the excitement of a themepark.

I know i'm thinking about holding back on visiting until restrictions and distancing is eased a lot more as I can't imagine enjoying my day if i'm being scolded and herded around like a sheep for making a simple mistake (For example)

I'm shocked that so many of the parks around the world have begun reopening, I honestly didn't think there'd be many parks across the world reopening this year, good on them. I'm also glad to see that places such as Alton Towers can partially reopen their gardens, however I must say it's disappointing that Zoos are unable to reopen, with places like Twycross and Chester Zoo being on the brink of bankruptcy. If the legislation were to be lifted on Zoos, that could allow Drayton Manor and others to reopen somewhat and make some form of money. Thinking about it I can't imagine that it would cost much extra to run the Zoo for customers since I imagine the keepers are on site anyway. I suppose Drayton Manor are in the "unfortunate" position to have the Zoo currently still requiring money without actually giving much back, the Park I imagine isn't costing them much at the minute, but animals need feeding and treating, which is an ongoing high cost which could drain the finances.

In terms of the park, like has been said above, a one way system could be implemented super easy, as a matter of fact one was put in place for the "RunThrough" running event that was planned and has since been cancelled. But I don't think that would work, surely it would just place extra stress on certain rides and less on others, which is the complete opposite of social distancing? I think if Drayton Manor want to reopen then they seriously need to start adopting technology, they should really consider the offering of pre-booking attractions which guarantees social distancing and reduces overcrowding.

Also, whilst it's good and well rushing to get the park open, the second they do they have the issue of making money, at the minute they're only needing to pay the Keepers I imagine, but once all the other staff for departments like catering, photography and ride operations come back, that's a lot of outgoing money on wages. They need to make sure that they are profitable before they open; I think it's something missed quite a lot that whilst it's good that companies can reopen, it could also be the make or break time for them since they are paying staff salaries whilst being unable to make the same amount of money due to social distancing, whether that be reducing capacity and thus increasing operating costs, or through limiting entry figures.

I think that rides which rely on interaction through touch such as Sheriff's Showdown, 4D Cinema, Drunken Barrels, Flynn's Fire Rescue, Captain's Sea Adventure, Jeremy Jets, James and the Red Balloon, will not reopen since these rides effectively encourage people to touch them, and even with cleaning this might not be ideal - I thought touch was the one of the main ways of spreading this still. I also think rides like Apocalypse, Shockwave, Stormforce 10 and Accelerator will be challenging to operate either due to close proximity of staff to customers, but also how tight and enclosed the rides and their stations are (even if the exit was to be used as the entrance, how is 2m put between those queuing and those exiting the ride?).

It's challenging for a park I imagine, especially without technology, I really think that considering pre-booking is the way forward. Also, temperature checks are great but there's no way of guaranteeing as this is just one symptom, they need to be prepared to take the hit if they reduce capacity and remain profitable, and also take the hit from people coming down with symptoms and cancelling at the last minute (maybe a flaw of the prebooking system). It's a really challenging one and I'd hate to be in their shoes right now. I do think the Zoo should be allowed to reopen, however, just to stop it running at a loss constantly whereas places such as Thorpe Park I imagine have close to no operating costs currently.

With places like Twycross and Chester Zoo asking for donations, it does make me worry about Drayton Manor who are seemingly too proud to ask for help if they need it.

EDIT: I noticed something interesting about Accelerator in the BirminghamLive article, see it here: https://www.draytontalk.co.uk/threads/accelerator.36/page-2

Last edited:
I notice Drayton Update there dates and the fireworks event has been removed.
Not surprising, it's a shame as I imagine they will lose a lot of business that weekend. I also noticed they've removed the summer of fun listings and it just states main season all the way through to halloween now. I wonder if they do reopen if it will be a muted re-opening without summer activities (shows etc) this year.

I'm a. bit surprised Drayton haven't announced any sort of re-opening plan as Towers have. I noticed towers gardens are now open (ticketed), I wonder given the relaxation of rules if Drayton would open just the zoo for the time being?

I think Zoo’s can reopen on Monday if Social distancing is in place so maybe Drayton May decide to reopen the zoo area and only use the car parks at the top of the park and maybe use the hotel for overflow. They could even use the coach park. I wonder if Season and Annual pass holders will be able to go?

They may feel the Zoo ain’t a big enough pull on its own and there waiting to see what the Government say and if they can open safely after the 4th July. I wonder what limit Drayton will be allowed in there parks a day and if it will be worth it to them.

They may feel the Zoo ain’t a big enough pull on its own and there waiting to see what the Government say and if they can open safely after the 4th July. I wonder what limit Drayton will be allowed in there parks a day and if it will be worth it to them.
I think that’s going to be key. If it not going to be profitable I can’t see them bothering to open just yet. I do wonder if they do open if they will limit it to Thomas land and family rides (like Christmas) as this will naturally reduce the numbers entering and will probably mean they don’t need the seasonal staff.

I think the seasonal staff Wouldn’t have been taken on as it was still the Thomas and Friends weekenders would they closed the parks so they will just have the regular staff available it’s gonna be tough enough to train up the current staff with the new rules let alone retrain on the rides.

I'm really hoping they do open at least the zoo, it would be nice to see them back soon.
I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until Towers and other big parks reopen fully so they can see what is being done there.

I'm really hoping they do open at least the zoo, it would be nice to see them back soon.
I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until Towers and other big parks reopen fully so they can see what is being done there.
The government is supposedly reviewing the 2m guidance so I wonder if they will wait for that, I imagine it would be easier to operate if the recommended distance is reduced.

That maybe a case in London but the R is still 0.9 in the midlands so I can’t see it myself. If all School children ain’t going back to September then that’s when they may relax it.

With the news that theme parks can open on 4th of July at a 1m social distance. Who's going to be supporting drayton manor when they announce to open? As of yet still waiting for a update.

Back