Should Drayton Manor Sell Old/Authentic Ride Parts & Theming?

Should They Sell Old/ Authentic Ride Parts & Theming?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Some amusement/ theme parks these days sell off old ride parts/ theming within their gift shops. The most notable of which is Blackpool Pleasure Beach, who sell parts in the Kiss Me Quick Shop below the Flying Machines. I’d imagine the parks that don’t sell off ride parts normally throw bits in the bin - when they could be sold off, meaning they could get some extra money that they wouldn’t have got otherwise.

Do you think they should start selling things like this? Make sure to answer the poll above and post comments with your opinion.

Some amusement/ theme parks these days sell off old ride parts/ theming within their gift shops. The most notable of which is Blackpool Pleasure Beach, who sell parts in the Kiss Me Quick Shop below the Flying Machines. I’d imagine the parks that don’t sell off ride parts normally throw bits in the bin - when they could be sold off, meaning they could get some extra money that they wouldn’t have got otherwise.

Do you think they should start selling things like this? Make sure to answer the poll above and post comments with your opinion.
I would love to see and Authentic Rides section in one of the shops! I mean Blackpool do still sell Wild Mouse wood and even Monorail trains costing £20 for Wild Mouse wood and £250 for cheap Monorail train. I mean, this park could do a lot with Authentic Ride parts but they could also sell off old signage as well because that would be very popular!!

I would be thrilled if Drayton were to open up some form of outlet which sold ride parts and theming. I'll run through some of my thoughts that I shared on the other thread:
  • This could be done inside one of the existing shops, as there is space if the existing stock was to be compressed into other shelves where there may be gaps. The Gift Box (Haunting Shop) would be a good candidate for this, on the right as you enter the shop from the ride there is plenty of room.
  • There would be no existing staffing costs as these shops need to be manned either way, so there is absolutely no cost involved in opening something like this to the public
  • Whilst it does not appeal to everybody, I am sure that there are enough enthusiasts visiting the park who would make a small selection worthwhile, even if these were to be in the shop for a while, they would be purchased either way
  • It's also unique items, so even if somebody wasn't going to make a purchase of a ride part, they would likely be interested to pick it up or take a look, everybody seems to be curious about rides to some degree, which would increase footfall in the shops; the kids may even see something they like and thus a secondary purchase is made.
  • I don't know for sure, but I'd say that the park just dispose of ride parts when they are swapped, obviously I have no idea as to how often this is done or what sorts of parts would be available, but this could make them money out of essentially what they would otherwise pay to dispose of.
Given the amount of items at the auction which weren't from Pirate Adventure but were actually from rides that have long since departed the park (Golden Nuggets, Jungle Cruise, The Haunting Centrepiece) I'd like to think the park have more parts and theming around which they could sell. They could also name their price in a shop, whereas at the auction this was determined by a starting price, so they could make some serious money. I know I would constantly be visiting this for items to add to my collection (which I will be sharing on this thread very soon).

I think it's definitely something to trial, I'd love to see it.

I would be thrilled if Drayton were to open up some form of outlet which sold ride parts and theming. I'll run through some of my thoughts that I shared on the other thread:
  • This could be done inside one of the existing shops, as there is space if the existing stock was to be compressed into other shelves where there may be gaps. The Gift Box (Haunting Shop) would be a good candidate for this, on the right as you enter the shop from the ride there is plenty of room.
  • There would be no existing staffing costs as these shops need to be manned either way, so there is absolutely no cost involved in opening something like this to the public
  • Whilst it does not appeal to everybody, I am sure that there are enough enthusiasts visiting the park who would make a small selection worthwhile, even if these were to be in the shop for a while, they would be purchased either way
  • It's also unique items, so even if somebody wasn't going to make a purchase of a ride part, they would likely be interested to pick it up or take a look, everybody seems to be curious about rides to some degree, which would increase footfall in the shops; the kids may even see something they like and thus a secondary purchase is made.
  • I don't know for sure, but I'd say that the park just dispose of ride parts when they are swapped, obviously I have no idea as to how often this is done or what sorts of parts would be available, but this could make them money out of essentially what they would otherwise pay to dispose of.
Given the amount of items at the auction which weren't from Pirate Adventure but were actually from rides that have long since departed the park (Golden Nuggets, Jungle Cruise, The Haunting Centrepiece) I'd like to think the park have more parts and theming around which they could sell. They could also name their price in a shop, whereas at the auction this was determined by a starting price, so they could make some serious money. I know I would constantly be visiting this for items to add to my collection (which I will be sharing on this thread very soon).

I think it's definitely something to trial, I'd love to see it.
Same I would definitely visit the shop and hopefully add more parts to my collection as long as the prices aren't too expensive!!

I think the Bryan family museum would be perfect for this as they could use that room where you push the buttons to start the rocking horse and saw with this item numbered with a price on a wall nearby this way they got no chance of guests robbing them and it will get more people into that part of the park.

I think the Bryan family museum would be perfect for this as they could use that room where you push the buttons to start the rocking horse and saw with this item numbered with a price on a wall nearby this way they got no chance of guests robbing them and it will get more people into that part of the park.
Yes and it would be received very well by the public, especially by the people who've grown up visiting Drayton for many years and would like to remember something they did back when they were 7 or 9!!!

I think it would be a great idea.

I was lucky enough to be invited to the auction and was able to get a few small parts - It would be nice to see these small parts, such as wheels, be available on a longer term basis such as inside a shop in the park (Gift box being a good spot)

As for larger pieces like boards and full theming - these should stick to auction.

I think it would be a great idea.

I was lucky enough to be invited to the auction and was able to get a few small parts - It would be nice to see these small parts, such as wheels, be available on a longer term basis such as inside a shop in the park (Gift box being a good spot)

As for larger pieces like boards and full theming - these should stick to auction.
I think that would work well as the auction went down very well. I've noticed that over the past 5 years, the Authentic Ride Parts at Pleasure Beach have gone up in price e.g. Wild Mouse Mushroom Wheel £15 now is £50.

I would definitely go to more of them, the team were wonderful that night! It was a lot more entertaining than I was expecting too.

Maybe one day they'll find a home for the boats (If I had the space and means of transporting them, I would have gotten one... Imagine one of them as a garden centrepiece!

Back