Stormalong Bay (Waterpark)

Bull

... I'm not kidding.

Apparently in 2004, the park filed for planning permission to build both a hotel and a £20 million indoor waterpark. The waterpark was to be called Stormalong Bay (Probably carrying that Fisherman's Wharf theme) which would have featured 20 different slides and multiple pools. The waterpark itself would've featured a retractable roof that would open during the summer.

The waterpark would've been located where the caravan/camp-site currently is. An additional car park would've been installed along with a pathway connected the waterpark to a new entrance for the theme park. Outside the waterpark was a planned spa, 'floating restaurant', multiple lakes and a series of chalets.

The hotel planned right next to the waterpark would've been situated where the current hotel is, this hotel however would feature a cinema, a restaurant and an indoor pool. Apparently they did gain planning permission in 2004 and were supposed to begin construction in 2006.

The report for all this information is linked here, and here's an image of the supposed plans for the waterpark:

unnamed.jpg

Now, I've never heard anything about this from anyone, and I've heard all sorts from a supposed mega-lite coaster to a petting zoo expansion. I had no idea this was a thing and can't find anymore information about this expansion. If anyone knows more about this or even just confirmation that this is legit because if this is true then my god, what happened? Imagine what the park would be like now if this opened in 2008/09? Just thinking about it is mad to me. Anyways, I'll leave this here so you guys can share your thoughts ;)

... I'm not kidding.

Apparently in 2004, the park filed for planning permission to build both a hotel and a £20 million indoor waterpark. The waterpark was to be called Stormalong Bay (Probably carrying that Fisherman's Wharf theme) which would have featured 20 different slides and multiple pools. The waterpark itself would've featured a retractable roof that would open during the summer.

The waterpark would've been located where the caravan/camp-site currently is. An additional car park would've been installed along with a pathway connected the waterpark to a new entrance for the theme park. Outside the waterpark was a planned spa, 'floating restaurant', multiple lakes and a series of chalets.

The hotel planned right next to the waterpark would've been situated where the current hotel is, this hotel however would feature a cinema, a restaurant and an indoor pool. Apparently they did gain planning permission in 2004 and were supposed to begin construction in 2006.

The report for all this information is linked here, and here's an image of the supposed plans for the waterpark:

View attachment 1993

Now, I've never heard anything about this from anyone, and I've heard all sorts from a supposed mega-lite coaster to a petting zoo expansion. I had no idea this was a thing and can't find anymore information about this expansion. If anyone knows more about this or even just confirmation that this is legit because if this is true then my god, what happened? Imagine what the park would be like now if this opened in 2008/09? Just thinking about it is mad to me. Anyways, I'll leave this here so you guys can share your thoughts ;)
I know you're not kidding because I've seen those plans in a book previously!

... I'm not kidding.

View attachment 1993

£20,000,000 does sound like a lot of money to invest in something like a Waterpark, especially in Britain, however considering Butlin’s Bognor Regis opened an undercover one with a similarly price last year, it could have been one of/ the best investment Drayton Manor ever made.

The name (Stormalong Bay) sounds interesting, whilst at the same time unique. I say this as these days, a lot of waterparks around Britain have generic names. More often that not they’ll feature the words ‘splash’, ‘water’ or other similar names. Even Alton Towers have changed the name of their show from ‘Cariba Creek’ to the ‘Alton Towers Waterpark’. I’d imagine we might have seen something similar happen to Stormalong Bay if it opened.

I’d imagine the theming would have been spectacular, considering it was initially planned around the same time where most of Drayton Manor’s heavily themed attractions were built. It would have probably made Drayton brand themselves as a ‘Resort’ once this development would have been completed - like how all Merlin theme parks brand themselves. We might have even seen more accomdation open, as there’s would have been a high demand for both the theme park and Stormalong Bay.

If this was to open around 2008, would we have seen Thomas Land built? An interesting thought as both developments have/ would have changed the park, and possibly saved it. Whilst Thomas Land is a great part of the Drayton Manor experience now, I would have much preferred Stormalong, even if it had a much higher budget.

Found the info as the hotel was original 8 million but that was for 86 rooms but they wanted a bigger hotel with 148 rooms instead and cancelled the pool to have a bigger restaurant and function rooms which are very nice and a good size but that added another 6 million on the bill.

Found this also
It’s halfway down

Loved that Colin Bryan article, he sounds like a genuine enthusiast for the theme park industry. I honestly think had this expansion opened in the late 2000's/early 2010's, the quality of the park in 2020 would've been on par, if not better, than the Merlin parks. Also pretty interesting to hear his opinion on wooden coasters, I wonder what the park thinks of them now considering how much they've developed over the decade.

Loved that Colin Bryan article, he sounds like a genuine enthusiast for the theme park industry. I honestly think had this expansion opened in the late 2000's/early 2010's, the quality of the park in 2020 would've been on par, if not better, than the Merlin parks. Also pretty interesting to hear his opinion on wooden coasters, I wonder what the park thinks of them now considering how much they've developed over the decade.
I think the biggest problem with Drayton is 3/4 of the park has villages nearby which were built before the park became a theme park in the 90s and they had problems installing Shockwave so I doubt they will be able to build a wooden coaster as they Wouldn’t get planning permission

Back