Chairlift

Harry

Opened by Miss Great Britain in April 1964, the Chairlift was built by British Ropeway Engineering.

Even though it has two station buildings, only one station was in operation for a 'round' trip. 2 stations previously operated in the past as the theme park became a paid entry resort.

DSC_0425.JPG

Reactions: Dan
When I was a kid (a statement I'll probably use a lot on this site lol) we used to get the chairlift up to the top station and play crazy golf.
Great to hear your memories from Drayton Manor! Was there ever anything else over at the other station? I always thought there was potential here.

Great to hear your memories from Drayton Manor! Was there ever anything else over at the other station? I always thought there was potential here.
The station outside the park by the hotel was an operational station to public but then closed when the park became a paid entry park.

Crazy Golf.jpg

The "turnaround" station building in use behind Crazy Golf, this was once another boarding section before the park became pay to enter.

Does anyone know what went wrong with it. It never looked like the most technologically advanced ride system.
It came to the end of it's operational life, the cable needed replacing and it was certainly wasn't cheap to replace, and the support gantry towers needed work done to them.

Do you think Drayton would ever invest in another chair lift? It seems like an ideal ride if they're aiming for the family market.
I doubt it, it's a lot of money for something that they can't really market. It isn't a big ride or anything that would attract new people, so the investment wouldn't be worth it.

I doubt it, it's a lot of money for something that they can't really market. It isn't a big ride or anything that would attract new people, so the investment wouldn't be worth it.
They couldn't afford to replace the cable when it expired and the ride came to the end of it's life. I can't see another cable car/chairlift return but I hope they can keep Polperro operational.

I don't see them making a replacement for the chairlift, as Ciaran said, they are difficult to market as they are not a big attraction in the theme park market these days. Also, the chairlift was slightly redundant after the second station wasn't used for loading, and given the age restrictions whereby under 18s cannot ride without an adult, I don't see it being much use to the park these days.

As much and I loved the chairlift and thought it was great they kept the old system in operation, I do see why it was removed and I don't think we'll see a replacement given the difficulty in giving it a "purpose" and the age constraints associated with the ride. I'd rather see funds invested elsewhere.

I agree with Harry, I'm sure they'll keep Polperro Express operational, it's a lovely ride which is ideal for the family market and it is nice to get a different perspective on the "Action Park" rides.

I see your point. I think I’m just getting old and enjoy some of the more scenic rides!

I always thought it would have been good if the chairlift went to the zoo for a Birdseye view of some of the animals and another route rather than walking or Thomas.

I see your point. I think I’m just getting old and enjoy some of the more scenic rides!

I always thought it would have been good if the chairlift went to the zoo for a Birdseye view of some of the animals and another route rather than walking or Thomas.
Now the zoo idea is great! I do hope they keep hold of one of the chairlift cars and maybe place it around the park? Like Blackpool Pleasure Beach did with the Log Flume logs and Gold Mine cars.

Now the zoo idea is great! I do hope they keep hold of one of the chairlift cars and maybe place it around the park? Like Blackpool Pleasure Beach did with the Log Flume logs and Gold Mine cars.
If you go on accelerator you can see all the chairlift cars in the zoo still lined up.

Drayton never got rid of anything. In the Toilets by the penny machine museum there a sign in there saying toilets closed on the back of it it’s a recycled out price sign for Wristbands and tickets.

Back