Shockwave

It’s a good ride. I’m not a fan of stand up coasters but for its uniqueness I like it. I would hate for the ride to go considering I think it’s the last one of its kind in the work in terms of manufacturer.

Shockwave is great for its sheer originality in my eyes! I love the stand-up experience, even if it is a little uncomfortable - and it's aged incredibly well in my eyes!

The park seem to follow a pattern for train usage, is it the same one for the whole season or does it change? I'd love to see some more theming added to the ride to bring it in with the small amount of theming currently present - what would you add?

It’s hard to know as when they both were yellow there was times the 2nd train was in the maintenance bay.
I remember a couple of years ago both trains were on the track but they were just filling the red train and sending the blue train round empty.

Reactions: Dan
It’s hard to know as when they both were yellow there was times the 2nd train was in the maintenance bay.
I remember a couple of years ago both trains were on the track but they were just filling the red train and sending the blue train round empty.
What a strange procedure! Almost as though they were waiting for someone with the correct training to come around and move the train. You're right though, it is mainly the red train. I do wish they'd run Shockwave on two trains when it is busy and gets a queue, I've not seen both trains used together for years now.

I'd also love to get some audio added to the station, some dedicated audio which is fitting to the theme of the ride, it'd add to the experience and build tension - I think it'd make the ride far more popular too.

24/05/16

On Saturday 26th March 1994 Drayton Manor unveiled their new ride for 1994, The Shockwave, or ‘The 7Up Shockwave’ - this ride took roots in the Action Park area of Drayton Manor and was part of a joint project to run over Splash Canyon, completed prior in 1993. Both rides were themed by Space Leisure, who designed many attractions at the park.

Shockwave is the world’s only Intamin stand-up rollercoaster, and remains one of only two stand-up rollercoasters in Europe. Shockwave was fabricated by Giovanola, a sub-division of Intamin who was also contracted by Bolliger & Mabillard, hence the similar track designs.

The ride is the only stand-up rollercoaster to be made with a zero-gravity roll ever made and was produced at the cost of £4,000,000. Shockwave has a maximum speed of 53mph and lifts to 36.5m as a maximum height.

The ride initially opened with white track and brown supports, which was changedt to light blue track and supports.

Below are some exclusive images from the opening of Shockwave and also some other images captured around the time of opening.

What are your most fond memories or facts of Shockwave at Drayton Manor? We’d be thrilled to hear them below! Here's to 25 years of Shockwave!

Although Shockwave is not particularly dense in theming, there are nice themed pieces outside of the ride, we looked at these closer on our trip on 27/03/19

Below is original signage from Shockwave!

The lamps inside of the Shockwave Queue and Exit.

Last edited:
I love shockwave I rode it for the first time in 2017 and I didn't know what to expect and I didn't realise there was two queue lines and my mate (remaining anonymous) put me in the front row queue and I went on the ride came back and I utterly loved it I soooooooooooo wanted to ride it again but I didn't have time I hope drayton decide to keep shockwave as its (I think) the only one of its kind left happy birthday shockwave may you remain there for another 25 years

Reactions: Dan
Great photos! I do hope that the park will look at repainting the ride soon. Especially with Splash Canyon’s water drained, it would be an ideal time to do so! I’d also like them to repaint the station, maybe back to how it looked in ‘94 with it’s Wild West theme. As in a way, the blue paint dosn’t suit the extirior (in my opinion).

Back