Splash Canyon

I’m sure I read something from a representative from the park after I started that thread, saying that Shockwave isn’t planned to be removed anytime soon (basically denying the rumour).

To me it seems like they are waiting a few more years to see how things turn out, then decide what to do with them rides. It feels like Drayton are going through a similar phase to what Alton Towers went through after The Smiler crash in June 2015. A few years with many ride removals, and little investment. Then a few years later getting back on track with major rides and investments. Although, I’d expect them to take a bit longer to recover after the Splash Canyon incident, mainly due to them not having a billion pound company owning them, like Merlin.

I’m sure I read something from a representative from the park after I started that thread, saying that Shockwave isn’t planned to be removed anytime soon (basically denying the rumour).

To me it seems like they are waiting a few more years to see how things turn out, then decide what to do with them rides. It feels like Drayton are going through a similar phase to what Alton Towers went through after The Smiler crash in June 2015. A few years with many ride removals, and little investment. Then a few years later getting back on track with major rides and investments. Although, I’d expect them to take a bit longer to recover after the Splash Canyon incident, mainly due to them not having a billion pound company owning them, like Merlin.
I really hope the re-open splash canyon. I can’t see it’s removal being good news for shockwave. It’s also a good family ride which is the audience I thought they were trying to appeal to now. It operates safely for 23 years until the tragic accident.

Smoker reopened (granted it was newer) and that was down to human error on the parks part.

I think the outcome of the rapids will have a impact on Shockwave. I know Lichfield Council have said that if Shockwave was to be removed it can’t be replaced with another coaster as it’s so close to the village. G-Force had to have sand put inside its tracks to reduce the noise.
Action Park up to 2004 was the go 2 area of the park with Shockwave, Splash Canyon, Stormforce 10, Black Revolver, Klondike Gold Mine, Maelstrom and the tea cups.

I really hope the re-open splash canyon. I can’t see it’s removal being good news for shockwave. It’s also a good family ride which is the audience I thought they were trying to appeal to now. It operates safely for 23 years until the tragic accident.

Smoker reopened (granted it was newer) and that was down to human error on the parks part.
I can't see Splash Canyon reopening at all - regardless whether the fine from HSE is small or large. The ride will resume SBNO until the time comes that Shockwave is reaching the end of it's life and they'll take both out at once. Splash cannot be taken down with Shockwave still running because the supports for Shockwave are supported by the concrete foundations from Splash.

I can't see Splash Canyon reopening at all - regardless whether the fine from HSE is small or large. The ride will resume SBNO until the time comes that Shockwave is reaching the end of it's life and they'll take both out at once. Splash cannot be taken down with Shockwave still running because the supports for Shockwave are supported by the concrete foundations from Splash.

I hear a lot of people say that it won't reopen again but in all honestly why wouldn't it reopen? Yes the tragic death was shocking but it was a complete accident unlike the Smiler which was due in part to Alton Towers faults and that reopened! Whereas Drayton Manor was a complete accident. If Drayton Manor are moving to a more family orientated market why the HELL would they simply let this ride sit SBNO any longer or even remove it? Splash Canyon is an important ride for this target market and one of the few rides where an entire family of all ages can ride it together and get an important memory of fun and of course a photograph! Drayton doesn't have many of these rides!

So if DM do close the ride, then who are they targeting? Doing away with thrills, doing away with family rides, whats actually left? Oh yes Thomas Land! Yet that doesn't appeal to the family market but rather the younger children market. It doesn't make any business sense long or short term to do away with it. To be rather blunt about it Drayton needs that ride to reopen!

If it was me I would start to add the improvements in safety to the ride as specified, add completely new rafts/boats with added gates and give the whole ride a complete restoration and reopen it. Maybe even a new name. The ride isn't unsafe so why close it?

To be honest Drayton are in no position to do away with rides as what will they replace them with? Make an extension to the possible new beach where G Force was. I really don't see this ride going and if it does I cannot see Drayton surviving I really can't.

I hear a lot of people say that it won't reopen again but in all honestly why wouldn't it reopen? Yes the tragic death was shocking but it was a complete accident unlike the Smiler which was due in part to Alton Towers faults and that reopened! Whereas Drayton Manor was a complete accident. If Drayton Manor are moving to a more family orientated market why the HELL would they simply let this ride sit SBNO any longer or even remove it? Splash Canyon is an important ride for this target market and one of the few rides where an entire family of all ages can ride it together and get an important memory of fun and of course a photograph! Drayton doesn't have many of these rides!

So if DM do close the ride, then who are they targeting? Doing away with thrills, doing away with family rides, whats actually left? Oh yes Thomas Land! Yet that doesn't appeal to the family market but rather the younger children market. It doesn't make any business sense long or short term to do away with it. To be rather blunt about it Drayton needs that ride to reopen!

If it was me I would start to add the improvements in safety to the ride as specified, add completely new rafts/boats with added gates and give the whole ride a complete restoration and reopen it. Maybe even a new name. The ride isn't unsafe so why close it?

To be honest Drayton are in no position to do away with rides as what will they replace them with? Make an extension to the possible new beach where G Force was. I really don't see this ride going and if it does I cannot see Drayton surviving I really can't.
They've got a 5 year plan for the park so it tells me that they have an idea what direction to push the park - considering that they are now aiming for a much lower target audience. If the point of matter is to keep Splash Canyon permanently closed then a social post from their social media is needed. They never did it for Pirate Adventure and a lot of people still wonder to this day if it's going to return. (*Spoiler*: No).

No boats won't be necessary and they won't add doors to the boats as they're a different design with individual seats compared to Towers and Thorpe which have a low bench seat. They'll add an extra railing to the boat by the entrance/exit like Europa Park and Energylandia.

They certainly would keep the ride SBNO (they've done it to many others) and it's to their benefit compared to G-Force because it's not in view and new customers to the park won't probably know about the ride anyway. The area to the ride is fenced off and the park will probably find something new to add next to the fence to make it look less bland and less suspicious.

I had hopes that the ride would return but it doesn't look very good and very doubtful.

They really need a Splash Battle style of ride

This could easily go on the G force site or reuse the bottom section of the Pirate Adventure or even use the route of the rapids channel. You will only have to remove the Station area.

They've got a 5 year plan for the park so it tells me that they have an idea what direction to push the park - considering that they are now aiming for a much lower target audience. If the point of matter is to keep Splash Canyon permanently closed then a social post from their social media is needed. They never did it for Pirate Adventure and a lot of people still wonder to this day if it's going to return. (*Spoiler*: No).

No boats won't be necessary and they won't add doors to the boats as they're a different design with individual seats compared to Towers and Thorpe which have a low bench seat. They'll add an extra railing to the boat by the entrance/exit like Europa Park and Energylandia.

They certainly would keep the ride SBNO (they've done it to many others) and it's to their benefit compared to G-Force because it's not in view and new customers to the park won't probably know about the ride anyway. The area to the ride is fenced off and the park will probably find something new to add next to the fence to make it look less bland and less suspicious.

I had hopes that the ride would return but it doesn't look very good and very doubtful.

Yet to redevelop that area they would need substantial amounts of cash to clear the area first and then into new attractions for that area. My problem is the park lost £2million last season, £4million the season before and has an eye-watering £15million+ debt. If you look, the park has a number of mortgages on rides/assets. Currently the park is not making any money at all. I do not see how the park can invest a large amount of capital into a new ride/area in the next 5 years. By the look of the finances, the park couldn't even invest £5million into the park over the next five years. They have to make do and maximise the existing assets they already have, which they have been doing over the last few seasons. That's why I feel Splash Canyon is very much needed to be reopened even if for the short term (5 years).

I don't know whether it's just me but I feel Drayton are going backwards rather than forwards. I suppose in an ideal world you would expect Drayton to follow the Paultons Park model, invest in younger market capitalise of it then start to invest into other target markets and start catering for more markets. Where Drayton seem to be closing down possible target markets. Even Towers is investing in new markets with David Walliams.

Although this is Drayton Manor we are talking about, who never do things simple or seen to be standard so who knows. Maybe it will be left to rot away. Obviously this is only my opinion and view of things but it would be sad if it does go as I always thought it was a great family ride no matter what age. Would be a great loss.

15 million worth of debt is nothing when you got asses worth more if they sold off the land, name and everything on property. Merlin was brought out last year for 6 billion but they got 3.4 billion of debt but half of that has been underwrite by Blackstone in return for asses if they can’t afford the repayment. Drayton need some investment

Reactions: Kam
In the next 10 years I can see Drayton being a recreational park where you're not allowed to play ball games.

If Splash Canyon did reopen then there would be many changes made and it's likely it will cost Drayton a lot of money for
. Having boats like AT and TP
. New CCTV
. More staff employed
. New tannoys reminding people to sit down
I don't know whether it will reopen though I'd like it to because it was always a fun childhood ride but it just depends on the costs of refurbishment

Will other rapids in the uk need to have doors added after this report is out.
Nope. Merlin only did it to Congo and Rumba because their bench seat boats, and Legoland's was left as it is because it had doors fitted to it when it was installed 13 years ago by ABC Rides/Intamin. The travelling models that Lightwater Valley and West Midlands Safari Park boats probably won't be modified due to their design. The coroner has written a report for the prevention of future deaths to UK theme park managers regarding the inquest that took place.

Nope. Merlin only did it to Congo and Rumba because their bench seat boats, and Legoland's was left as it is because it had doors fitted to it when it was installed 13 years ago by ABC Rides/Intamin. The travelling models that Lightwater Valley and West Midlands Safari Park boats probably won't be modified due to their design. The coroner has written a report for the prevention of future deaths to UK theme park managers regarding the inquest that took place.
Definitely not Lightwater Valley or West Midlands. As i said Splash Canyon will definitely have to have the rails if it ever reopens.

Definitely not Lightwater Valley or West Midlands. As i said Splash Canyon will definitely have to have the rails if it ever reopens.
They'll be fitted like the boats at Europa Park. I think they look quite nice especially with the theming.

But sadly the morons will stand up...
DSC_0035.JPG DSC_0240.JPG

I quite like the style and safety with Seaworld's new Infinity Falls boats which is also made by Intamin. Pretty nice boats to be on too! You could fashion in a gate at the entrances or bar or something. Something for Drayton to think about and having worked with Intamin before they are pretty good as a manufacture.

1024px-Infinity_Falls_Raft_(37731143964).jpg

Too true about morons standing up. What do you think about seat belts? I know there’s a potential risk if the boat was to turn over but a number of American rapids rides (including at Disney) have them.
Seatbelts are quite unnecessary in my opinion. I think that railings would be perfect, doors aren’t really necessary due to the fact that the boats don’t have the bench design as Harry said above. As for people standing up, if they are caught then they should be removed from the park, maybe after one warning over the PA system.

What Ciaran said sounds like a good idea removing people from the park if the don't follow the possible Splash Canyon rules. I'm wondering if it does come back then it might possibly be under a different name just like Hydro to Drenched at Oakwood?

Back