Splash Canyon

Harry

Opened in 1993 and located underneath Shockwave in what was known as Action Park. For a cost of £3,000,000, Splash Canyon was the brand new family-thrill attraction to bring in the crowds to the park during it's peak decade. Splash Canyon uses a 6-passenger boat on a 455m long river rapids ride. With a ride capacity of 126 rides, 21 boats in total. Splash Canyon is one of the best through-put rides on the park.

Height Restrictions: Minimum height of 0.9m, anyone under 1.1m. must be accompanied by an adult.

Fun Fact: During 1992 the concrete laid for the construction of Splash Canyon and Shockwave cost £1,000,000.

The ride to this day still remains SBNO and currently there is no indication that the ride will return back into operation, but still remains on Drayton Manor's ride lineup on their website.

IMG-3556.JPG

Not being bias or anything, but Splash was my favourite Rapids in the UK. Much better than Rumba and Congo I think. It's always a 50/50 if you get wet or not, and majority of the time you really don't get splashed but depends where the boat hits the trough/rocks.

Did any of you get to ride it when all the effects were still working?
Yes. Pump station, including the levers and animatronic workmen, fog tunnel including the mist and the leaking pipes, the leaking canister just after you left the tunnel, and then the large moving pipe at the end which used to blast when boats went underneath it. It's been years and years and years since I remember them working though.

Reactions: Dan
I hope the outcome has some positive impact on the park. The date also tells us that really, it will probably be until 2021+ before Drayton will add a major new ride.

Reactions: Dan
I reckon it'll reopen

either summer this year or more likely next year
No chance for this year. Trial begins in November and the ride would need a lot of work done to it since it's been SBNO for over two years. You're looking at 2021/22 for a comeback.

Back