New Parking Charge

M

Matthew

During this closed season, the park installed parking barriers and implemented a £2 parking charge. Do you think they were right to do this? Are you happy that it doesn't apply to season pass holders?

I think that it’s an ok move. Yeah free parking is always a bonus, but look at how much Merlin charge at their parks £6+! So really £2 is kind of a bargain for UK theme park car parks (even the official BPB car park charges £18! A total rip off!) if the parking charge means for future developments then I’m happy, and I’m sure it’s what they’ll invest in. Drayton need as much money as they can get now, if they want to secure the parks future massively after the events of recent years!

As @AvalancheAttractionsUK and @Monkeynips have said, £2 isn't all that much - yes it's an added cost, but when you go to somewhere like Alton Towers and pay £55 for a day ticket, then £6 for parking, I feel that this small addition isn't too much. Plus, this is additional money the park get, so long as that gets invested in the main park I don't see a problem whatsoever.

From what I've seen, the infrastructure for this looks great.

Hopefully they can use that new income for later development such as a multi-story car park and remove the Fairfield car park and use that for Thomas Land/Zoo expansion

Hopefully they can use that new income for later development such as a multi-story car park and remove the Fairfield car park and use that for Thomas Land/Zoo expansion
Please, no more Thomas Land. Must. Have. Thrill. Rides. :LOL:

Reactions: Dan
The 1 thing that will upset a lot of people with this is the queue during peak times just to get thought the barrages into the park as each car has to collect a parking ticket including Annual pass holders then the queues during the day to pay for them then queue to get back out to go home.

The 1 thing that will upset a lot of people with this is the queue during peak times just to get thought the barrages into the park as each car has to collect a parking ticket including Annual pass holders then the queues during the day to pay for them then queue to get back out to go home.
That's a good point. The park definitely struggles at the end of the day to cope, there are frequently large queues, this is something worth considering.

Well been a season ticket holder queues to get in last season wasn’t that bad but in 2017 with traffic trying to get in from Both sides of the road I joined the queue about a mile a way and took me 45 mins just to park up.

I reckon once you purchase your season pass your reg should be taken. As the barriers scan you reg in and out. Once you’ve gone to guest services and they do your ticket, when exiting it scans your reg and automatically open. It would be great if your reg is already on the system once you purchase your season pass so it automatically opens. Ain’t sure if this is even possible but be great if it was!

If you are a hotel guest or a 2018 Season Pass Plus holder, you can park for free by validating your ticket at one of the following locations:

• Guest services
  • Hotel reception
  • Main entrance kiosks
  • Entrance one kiosks
  • Vertigo kiosks
Are Ultimate Pass holders still required to validate their ticket at a machine or will they likely work with the barriers, as Merlin Annual Passes do? I really don't mind the parking charge, it's still less than Merlin Parks, and I feel that the park will genuinely use and benefit from the additional income. It's a rarity and un-needed luxury to have free parking at Theme Parks these days, parking charges are standard.

I will find out in March but I heard the parking barrages are the same you see in multi-storey car parks so you collect your ticket as you enter then during the day you visit
  • Guest services
  • Hotel reception
  • Main entrance kiosks
  • Entrance one kiosks
  • Vertigo kiosks
Then they validate your ticket. I can also see it going up to £3 during the main season.

Reactions: Dan
Are Ultimate Pass holders still required to validate their ticket at a machine or will they likely work with the barriers, as Merlin Annual Passes do? I really don't mind the parking charge, it's still less than Merlin Parks, and I feel that the park will genuinely use and benefit from the additional income. It's a rarity and un-needed luxury to have free parking at Theme Parks these days, parking charges are standard.
You just go to guest services and they add your number plate to the anpr. Next time you drive in or out the barrier just opens. No ticket needed

Back