Aviaries

Dan

Team Member
Team Member
On a visit to the park on 20/02/19 the park confirmed to us that they will be demolishing the small aviaries opposite the Spider Monkeys to allow a 14 meter aviary to be constructed in their place. Since this visit it appears that signs have been added to advertise this work. We will follow construction of this within this thread.

We expect the closure of "Jewels of Oz", the current Aviary walk-through may be somewhat related to this development - perhaps animals are being moved across to this attraction whilst development ensues.

Jewels of Oz looks to be closed for longer now that a construction sign has been placed on the door - I am almost certain this is related to the demolition of the existing aviaries ready for a 14 meter aviary to be constructed in their place. Photo taken 11/04/19

The construction area appears to have been reduced so that guests can access the back of the Spider Monkey Enclosure and the old Penguin Enclosure, this is now just around the old aviaries at the park.

A concrete foundation has been laid adjacent to these on the side of the Macaques, I presume this will be extended over the existing aviaries eventually. Below are images taken 02/08/2019.

IMG_8797.jpg
IMG_8798.jpg

The enclosure building has now been stained a darker brown to fit with the rest of the zoo buildings - looking good!

I'm curious as to whether the existing aviaries will be demolished seen as they are vacant and more similar aviaries built onto them.

IMG_9118.jpg
IMG_9119.jpg

These look really nice, and have been done to a good finish. I wonder what they are doing with the adjacent existing aviaries, most birds have left these now and they really do need demolishing, I wonder if they will build an identical aviary on this site also? Or perhaps this space will be used for the rumoured penguin enclosure.

There seems to be a walkway in the middle of the aviary, I wonder if this is for keeper access or whether guests will be able to access the inside of the enclosure? Either way, these are definitely looking smart.

Rapid progress on the African Aviaries today, the previous aviaries have been demolished, with the footings and groundwork done for an expansion of the area which was being worked on at the end of last season. The aviary looks very big and open, and is quite an impressive size. I can't wait to see the resulting state-of-the-art enclosure!

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

An idea of what animals could inhabit this enclosure...
IMG_1623.jpg

Also some fencing added to an existing enclosure, not sure what this is for, but it looks very nice!
IMG_1619.jpg

Back