Half term - Dinosaur Breakout

The little lad is Dinosaur Mad, so he'll be really keen to see what's going on in this one. Slightly surprised to see that Thor isn't on the list of open rides. It feels like a very "junior" event without it or Accelerator on the rides programme when both were on for the Xmas schedule.

I think it will be a good event, the ride line-up isn't anything special though. I guess having the major rides closed throughout the event allows for more time to complete maintenance whilst also reducing the amount of staff required.

Just planning out our trip, where is the Rory stage? There is the carousel stage which is where the dino disco is going to be, but the t-rex meet and greet is at the Rory stage. Is this different?

The latest posters actually have this updated but in case anyone is still using outdated info, the Carousel stage and the Rory stage is the same thing and the Parade starts at the Zoo entrance and not the Park Entrance.

So you may have guessed but we went to the Dinosaur breakout today.

**Warning Contains Spoilers.**

So we entered the park via the Vikings Entrance at about 10:40. As we walked in there were a couple of dino babies to see and pet / photo. We didn't stop thinking there were opportunties to see them later in the day, but if you want a photo with everything take the chance when you can. There are plenty of chances to see various babies throughout the day but we didn't necessarily get chance to see the same ones repeated. So if you are a collector then tick them off.

We were a little early for the Raptor Live Show at 11 so did a quick scurry round the reptile house and then headed back.

So being the first show it was a lot quieter. Seats front and centre. Lots of interaction and little lad was one of four that was invited onto the stage. He was hyper excited. The downside to it being quieter was that the atmosphere - its sort of the same kind of thing as the panto esque christmas show - was a little lacking despite the brilliant efforts of the Dinosaur Ranger leading the show. The show ends with the finding of an egg. This egg provides the only through narrative of the day as the reveal of what egg it is is the culmination of the parade at the end of the day.

Then a quick jump onto Loki which meant we saw the Spinosaurus coming into the park from on high. Quite a sight.

All the dinosaur encounters are the same kind of format. Everyone sort of mills about, there is often a dinosaur ranger with a baby dino or sometimes a larger wearable dino. Then the Dinosaur comes out. A queue forms and you get your chance to have your photo taken with the dinosaur. There are pro shots available and you will collect lots of little blue tickets during the day, but staff are happy to take a photo on your phone if you want to get in on the action.

Now here's the thing, the best thing for me was the reveal of the dinosaurs. And they are all hidden away in their own zone. So the Brontosuarus comes out of where you do into the grotto at Christmas. The Tyrannosaurus is held in the black tent outside of ThomasLand. But the best reveal - and its not really part of the show - is the triceratops. The triceratops is actually housed in the photo booth of the Accelerator and when the shutters come up its quite a sight. So it is worth perching yourself on the wall there a few minutes before that show starts.

We then went to Rory's disco at the stage, and then this went stright into the Tyrannosaurus encounter. Handy hint, this is the only photo op with the T-Rex apart from after the parade, I'm glad we got our photo earlier, dealing with tired and excited kids in a much longer queue at the end of the day was an expereince I was glad I avoided.

We then went back to do the Brontosaurus. Then we had a big break from the events where we looked around, had some lunch, did some rides 9cranky was doind a double run but YoMomma was only once round) and repeated the Raptor show (bigger crowd, different presenter, same show) before taking our spot for the triceratops encounter. Then we went to the parade.. Now its not mentioned but there was a further dino encounter with a veloceraptor outside the Safari Pasta and Pizza Parlour just prior to the parade.

The Parade in itself didn't really contain any extra dinosaurs, there was a raptor being ridden Bernie Clifton style (one for the teenagers there) and a couple more baby dinosaurs. The kids didn't mind, all seeemed to be loving it. The parade ended at the Carousel stage for an effective reprise of the disco - same dance as earlier and again the T-Rex came out for the second appearance of the day.

We then went home, happy that we were able to get away without having to queue to see the T-Rex again. Saw another baby dinosaur on the way out, correctly identified as a Carnosaurus by the little lad.

Conclusion: Before we went back to see the Raptor show again we were warned..."You do know its the same as before, don't you?". I replied, "So is every episode of Andy's Dinosaur Adventures and do you know how many times we've watched each of them?"

And it's true. My little lad is dinosaur mad, and he loved every minute. I can't get him to move at times, but here he wanted to be sure we were in position for every event super early. Fair play to the dinosaur rangers who kept their smiles on, their enthusiasm up and their energy high all day. They must be exhausted this evening. Not least from our perspective that everything seemed to run into each other. The day was full and the time flew by. Nothing dragged. No stress. No tears. A day where there were lots of photos and lots of memories made. Can't fault it. Well done to all involved.

Our planned itinery in case anyone else wants to follow it:

Raptor Live Show: 11am - 4D Cinema
Spinosaurus: 11:45 - Vikings
Rory's disco: 12:00 - Rory Stage
T-Rex: 12:15 - Rory Stage
Unplanned 2nd trip to Raptor Live Show: 14:30 - 4D Cinema
Triceratops: 15:30 - Toy Shop
Brontosaurus - we planned to do this at 16:00 but did it at 12:45 - Zoo Entrance
Dino Parade: 1630 - Zoo entrance (but maybe go sooner and see the veloceraptor)

Some photos from the event.
IMG-0803.jpg

Raptor Live Show- Despite the evidence of this photo it doesn't sing. It does however dance.
IMG-0822.jpg

T-Rex
IMG-0838.jpg

New Addition to the Zoo
IMG-0853.jpg

Triceratops and groupies
IMG-0869.jpg

For Pizza and Pasta with added bite
IMG-0876.jpg

The Egg making its way as part of the parade
IMG-0879.jpg

Carnosaurus baby.
IMG-0833.jpg

I think the Ranger wants the T-Rex to use some mouthwash.

One last thing I didn't mention, the app sent me two messages during the day, one had the schedule on it, the other was a reminder about the start of the parade. Which I thought was good.

We quite enjoyed the raptor show. It was funny and my little boy was selected to go on stage. We enjoyed the meet and greet afterwards. Though I’m surprised that they used the names echo and beta for the raptors as isn’t this a copyright due to the Jurrasic world movies ? I could be wrong however.

I went to check out Dinosaur Breakout yesterday (Followers on the social media pages may have seen my updates across the day)
The dinosaur Meet&Greets were great fun as was the Raptor show. (Even if the queue to meet Tiny the T-Rex got a little bit out of control )
The Meet&Greet timeslots are quite short so I would recommend getting to these a little early to guarantee you meet your favourite dinosaurs. The 2.30 showing of the Raptor Show got very busy so again recommend getting there early to guarantee entry.

The parade was not quite the same as described above, it was more like a "quest" when we were at the park which turned into a bit of chaos with like 50 people following behind the raptor and Rory. Didn't really understand that but it was quite fun all the same.

As a young adult without children, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and would recommend this event to any dinosaur-fans young or old.

We went again on Sunday, so we top and tailed the event with a visit on the first and last days.

It was interesting to see that the Raptor Show had evolved during the event. Same main structure but there were a few extra flourishes and alterations during the show.

There seemed to be less baby dinosaurs roaming on the latter visit but I'm certainly not complaining. The event worked really well and helped provide a good structrue to a full day. If you turned up for the event you will have had a great day and used rides and zoo to fill in the gaps. The various dino encounters always rew a bit of a crowd and meant that the queues for rides was never onerous (don't know if this was different on other days).

Hats off to the entertainers and staff who really engaged well with all the kids. It must have been a full on 10 days.

We went again on Sunday, so we top and tailed the event with a visit on the first and last days.

It was interesting to see that the Raptor Show had evolved during the event. Same main structure but there were a few extra flourishes and alterations during the show.

There seemed to be less baby dinosaurs roaming on the latter visit but I'm certainly not complaining. The event worked really well and helped provide a good structrue to a full day. If you turned up for the event you will have had a great day and used rides and zoo to fill in the gaps. The various dino encounters always rew a bit of a crowd and meant that the queues for rides was never onerous (don't know if this was different on other days).

Hats off to the entertainers and staff who really engaged well with all the kids. It must have been a full on 10 days.
Agreed we found the Meet&Greets really helped with the visitor levels and queues were fairly minimal across the board for our visit too :)
Definately a strong first event for 2023 - Next up is March of the Dinosaurs! Wonder what differences that event will bring from this one.

Agreed we found the Meet&Greets really helped with the visitor levels and queues were fairly minimal across the board for our visit too :)
Definately a strong first event for 2023 - Next up is March of the Dinosaurs! Wonder what differences that event will bring from this one.
Yes, I was wondering about the difference. Because it does look like a similar (or even lesser) offering.

Back