Sombrero

Elise

Team Member
Team Member
One of the lost rides of Drayton which always sticks in my head is the Sombrero.
this was a Polyp (Octopus) style ride by Soriani & Moser which operated from March 1998 til 2010
Does anyone else remember this? I loved it! It stood just outside of Sheriff's showdown which can be seen in the top left of the photo below:

Sombrero_%28Drayton_Manor%29_-_May_2005.jpg

(Photo from Coasterpedia)

This and Black Revolver were two of my favourites. I always thought you should be looking outwards however, as you just spent a few minutes staring at the centre piece of each gondola.

Looks like Zamperla make them now (see here). Maybe one day a Thomas one will pop up :LOL:

Do we know where it went after Drayton?
Not sure undfortunately - if anyone knows I would be curious :)

I don't think we would see one return to the park - if we did it may need a different theme to fit in with the park now.

I used to absolutely love the sombrero’s. If I remember rightly, it had OTSR’s, which as a small child, made me feel incredibly grown up because it felt like I was going on one of the ‘big rides’. Which I guess to me at the time was true.

Edit; this thread inspired me to look up some footage of the ride on YouTube. Found this video, I didn’t realise it had lights as well! Also features background cameo’s from
big wheel, Flying Dutchman and apocalypse.

Last edited:
I really remember the lights - It was a very vivid memory of mine from the fireworks nights.

It always felt like a "big kid" Ride for sure

Great ride. I used to love this. The location by the original poster is a bit off though. It was not opposite Sherrifs Showdown, it was almost exactly where the station for Accelorator now is. :)

The yellow building in the top left of the photo is the entrance to the circus show. Which is where the entrance to the 4D cinema is today. (They use the same building). Then the building with the tower, is where the coffee shop and Kelly's ice creams is. Then the building further up on the right was the Haunting Shop. Haunting entrance and what was then Golden Nuggets are further up to the right of this photo out of view.

You can actually see the show building for the Hauntings madhouse in that photo too.

I always remember the cattle pen like queue being hell on bad days.

Back