Waterworld - Festival Park - Stoke on Trent

As always, your mileage may vary.

So Dad (late mid 40's) and little lad (7) went to Waterworld on a school training day.

We booked tickets online, the instructions suggested I should print off the confirmation but the person in front of me seemed to hand it over on the phone. There had been tickets available via group on but all which may have been of use had sold out but it is worth looking at. You also purchase a wrist band which effectively is a pre-loaded chip and pin device for paying for stuff.

The car park outside is £3.50 which also requires coins. There is the option of paying via a website (none of my various parking apps) which was accessible via a qr code and paid by apple pay. There was a bag check on the way in, guns, tasers and Class A drugs allowed but don't try and sneak in a sandwich

Lots of signs telling you to get a shower before going in, but less telling you where the showers are (in the middle of the changing area away from the entrance to the main arena).

There are effective clusters of entrances to the various slides and rides. the first as you go in are to the family slides (allows up to four to have a race) and nucleus. Nucleus is a ride which requires a ring to ride. You sit on it and you go down slides before being shot up to the next one by some water jets.

There is a kiddie area for the under 1.4m. This consists of 4 slides (1 themed and three which are of various growing sizes) and two small but differing sizes of tube slides. This provides a good training area for the little ones who may be a little nervous.

There is a sprial stair case which goes up to 5 different rides. Three tube slides are next to each other both at the start and at the exit again providing an opportunity for racing. The first is the super flume, the second is the python and the third is the black hole. The black hole as you can guess is completely devoid of light and so is quite disarming. The Superlume though isn't much lighter but there is something to focus on and let you know whats coming in terms or turns. The python is named because it is twisty and not because it hisses and suffocates you. The rides can be undertaken by those under 1.1m if accompianied by an adult. If you are over this height you have to ride alone. The exit area is into a shallow pool but if you hit it at speed you will be submerged.

The other two rides accessible via this staircase is the Space bowl. This is a slide which deposits you into a bowl which is like one of those charity coin things which sees the coin get spun around the outside until plopping out at the bottom into a deep pool. The last ride is the twister. This is fairly high speed but fairly short ride which deposits you into a different part of the building. The braking water here is a bit deeper giving you a bigger splash on exit.

The other ride area is tornado alley. Again up stairs there are four rides. The exits are all in the same area. If you see on approach all the tubes on the outside of the building these are mainly for these rides. There are two levels. On the lower level there is Storm Chaser (a ring ride which can be taken on single tubes or double with some fairly cool lighting). And Hurricane another single rider slide (little lad did this but he wanted me waiting at the bottom for him so I didn't get to ride it myself)

The upper level had two rides, and these are probably the two most interesting. The thunderbolt sees the rider enter into a capsule. They are then subjected to a short wait before the floor disappears and they are dropped into the slide mechanism. The other is the cyclone. Again ridable as a single ring or double its first slide empties into chamber which is bit like a half-pipe. When the momentum goes down you are then slid through via another slide to another chamber which is a bit like the space bowl. The exit rather than a drop is a further slide which is a short one into the exit area. The cyclone was our most used ride. We did it 8 times I think. On the fifth we exited the half pipe backwards which provided a whole different experience but we didn't manage to replicate it (if I had another go I'd probably try to introduce some lateral movement on launch). The backwards exit at the end was about 50-50 but on the last time we hit the water with such force we were thrown out of the ring! The exits to these areas is where you get your ring for the next time. There were constant but small queues for single rings. Doubles always seemed to be available. Double tubes require at least one adult on them.

There is also a wave pool, listen for the hoot signalling it starting. Two internal bubble pools - one which seemed to be of a temperature for cooking lobsters and a rapids. The little lad loved this and spent an age wheeling round and around. I got battered on here, and I will be a mass of bruises tomorrow I reckon.

There is also an outdoor pool which has a bubbling circular seat for about a dozen or so and there are also sunbeds if you are fed up of the water.

You book for 3 hours minimum but if there is no demand or capacity issues you can stay in. This lead me to book for 10.30 (first session start is at 10) thinking if there was an issue they'd get chucked out and I'd get to stop in. As it was there was no requests to empty the pool before the entire complex closed at 3. There were then loud announcements which detailed if you wanted your wristband deposit back you needed to get it back to them by 3.30.

So we had 4.5 hours. And that was enough. We didn't have to wait longer than 10 minutes for anything. As it was quiet though some rides were on rotation. The Space bowl alternated with Nucleus on an hourly basis. The rapids also had some scheduled down time too.

Little lad did eat in there. A chicken nugget deal cost 8.99 after a slush upgrade. 4 good chunks of meat and a decent size portion of chips, which I scoffed a good deal. We had that quite early and quite pleased too as there was quite a queue by the time we had finished.

Overall it was a great day, but I can imagine that it could be a different story at weekends or at holiday times. It was also really hot. So hot I wondered if I was having a cardiac episode but there are fans for the operators/lifeguards so I am guessing that this is a known issue. It was quite tiring as a day too, more so thatn a traditional theme park - by its very nature there are a lot of steps involved. Was pretty tired at the end.
https://www.waterworld.co.uk/

I unfortunately did not have such a good experience here. We visited in a school holiday, and were fortunate that it was quiet. However, we left early. The staff were a perfect fit for the 80's steryotype of a unbothered teen on a summer job. I really hope the place has since improved, but the staff were completely untrained, and quite simply causing accidents. They were not spacing guests and caused at least 3 pile ups while we were there. The lifeguards failed to respond to at least 2 people clearly in need of assistance, and the operator of Thunderbolt was not checking guests before dispatch, leading to people wanting to leave and abort, leaning on the glass, him not noticing and injuring themselves on the way down. This was about this time last year. Hopefully they have improved now, and from what you said it sounds much better, but compared to splash landings, which we had visited earlier in the week, it was clear which one was the safer option.

I only been here once and that was over 30 years ago. Don’t remember much about the flumes but they had disco lights over the wave pool and was pumping out Rave music.

We came here back in 2021 and we had a decent time. It was during October half term so was busy but not unmanageable. I do seem to remember some staff particularly around the wave pool looking totally unbothered though, which is not great.

What has put me off returning is the attitude of management when there’s been incidents at the waterpark, like this one from last year.

Back