Mattel Adventure Park

James no5

The new theme park opening in 2024.this park is going to have a Thomas land but there copying Draytons ride only 4 rides will be there tho all copying Drayton manor

The new theme park opening in 2024.this park is going to have a Thomas land but there copying Draytons ride only 4 rides will be there tho all copying Drayton manor
I don’t like that they are copying Drayton Manor. I mean they have the rights of course, they own Thomas, but they could’ve had some creativity when it comes to the rides. It can’t be that hard to think of a ride and character to go together.

Mattel own the IP & have a hand in the creation of Thomas Land at Drayton, its not unexpected that they would use similar ideas in their own park. I believe Mattel help creating the rides for Drayton - or if they don't they do at least have to greenlight them because of the brand and deals between the groups. (Also, its a positive as they must like the Thomasland at drayton :D )

But I do agree, they could probably do different rides for some of the chracters.
I noticed its a lot more AEG style over there - so there is that striking difference :)

I wouldn't worry about how its only four rides - They will expand overtime. Its a new park :)

I don’t like that they are copying Drayton Manor. I mean they have the rights of course, they own Thomas, but they could’ve had some creativity when it comes to the rides. It can’t be that hard to think of a ride and character to go together.
The rides there copying are rocking bulstrode, crazy bertie bus, flines fire rescue, James and the red Balloon, Thomas and percys engine tours re named to Thomas and percy park tours and harolds helicopter tours

The rides there copying are rocking bulstrode, crazy bertie bus, flines fire rescue, James and the red Balloon, Thomas and percys engine tours re named to Thomas and percy park tours and harolds helicopter tours
You'd think a multibillion dollar company would be able to think of original ideas for theme park rides... but I guess not. The worst thing is that Drayton can't stop them since Mattel have the rights to Thomas.

I mean, we were always going to see a version of Engine tours for the attraction as everyone wants to ride on the engines :)
Yeah to be fair that was inevitable and always going to happen. The issue I have is when the park copy the exact same ideas that Drayton had with little to no change.

Does make me wonder - how much of the decision making for Thomas Land is down to Drayton and how much is down to Mattel

Does make me wonder - how much of the decision making for Thomas Land is down to Drayton and how much is down to Mattel
Mattel being how they are for the franchise and money are probably just copying because they can't think of any different rides them selfs so probably Mattel down to all on the new theme park and Drayton 0 on this new theme park

Mattel being how they are for the franchise and money are probably just copying because they can't think of any different rides them selfs so probably Mattel down to all on the new theme park and Drayton 0 on this new theme park
Its more I wonder if Drayton decided what rides to have in Drayton manor or if it was Mattel who picked the rides for them.

Mattel own the IP so they technically get to do what they want :)
Drayton don't get any influence on the Mattel Adventure Park

[Note, I do not know a huge amount when it comes to IP law / agreements, information may not always be 100% as agreements can vary. I don't know the specifics of the Mattel X Drayton agreement]

If both parks have the same rides, that is a Mattel decision :)

I have looked at this and some of the rides are very similar and there are some very similar rides so I suspect it will be based upon Thomasland. Admittedly it will be smaller but I suspect that the IP decides what can and can't be done. IP Law can be very strict and if Mattel aren't happy, it won't be done. I suspect the changes to Terrance through relocation would have to be approved along with any new ride. Given that Mattel no longer make Thomas with the legacy Thomas, any new rides or changes will need to incorporate the theme used at that point in time. I imagine it makes commercial sense to look at the other parks. There are currently other Thomas rides around the world, you would look at what works well. IP law is very complicated and Mattel will do everything to protect their IP. Look at M&S with Percy Pig and Aldi.

I expect that the Manor will need to negotiate based on planning restrictions and the agreement with Mattel. The closeness to the housing may prevent too many more rides there but indoor rides may be something that could be done subject to planning. It looks interesting the Mattel park with Hot wheels coaster too

I just thought that if aeg is a seperate show and in there word northing to do with Thomas and friends shouldn't Thomas land stay the same with just new. Aeg rides?

It will depend on the agreement, Thomas and friends, aka Thomas the tank engine and various other names are all owned by Mattel, whose tv shows are through HIT entertainment, a subsidiary. It is a brand and they will want the intellectual property to be protected. I'm no expert, but the legal agreement will have restrictions such as where the merch comes from or the format it is to what they can sell and there is a licencing fee. Its a money spinner for Mattel and advertising for the brand to have a land or two named after it. I think the Mattel land looks good, but would rather do disneyland than spend the money going there for such few rides. I think they are looking at ways to expand the Thomas brand at theme parks worldwide.

I reckon Drayton design the rides using Thomas characters/themes, then check with Mattel for approval.

I think they are looking at ways to expand the Thomas brand at theme parks worldwide.
I agree especially since the US version of Thomas Land shut last year as the park didn't have enough money to relicense the franchise with Mattel. There is now only the Drayton one and one in Japan (I think).

I agree especially since the US version of Thomas Land shut last year as the park didn't have enough money to relicense the franchise with Mattel. There is now only the Drayton one and one in Japan (I think).
Yes, there is. But, there are two more Thomas Lands in china called "Thomas Town" and the rides and attractions are all indoors. One in China and another in Japan. There was another one in called The Little Big Club in Johor that closed in 2019.

Yes, there is. But, there are two more Thomas Lands in china called "Thomas Town" and the rides and attractions are all indoors. One in China and another in Japan. There was another one in called The Little Big Club in Johor that closed in 2019.
There was also a Thomas ride same type and look as the one in Drayton at Duriilses park or something like that

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240206_201619_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240206_201619_Google.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 26
Back