The Haunting. Which versions your favorite?

Which version of The Haunting is your favourite?

• Original 1996 version

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • 2004 Vampire Version

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 2016 R.I.P.A version

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
As you all know, I'm a bit of a fan when it comes to haunted house themed rides, and The Haunting is no exception. I love the ride myself, but I hear from others that the older versions were better in some aspects. With all the different opinions, I decided to create this poll thread to allow people to explain which version of The Haunting is their favourite and why.

If I had to pick, I'd pick the original 1996 one. I didn't experience it myself, but from the wonderful POV by Euro Theme Park Archive,I really love the tone, the music of it and the sudo ghostbuster preshow in the beginning.

I think the Vampire version is OK, but the 2nd preshow in the library is so corny and the finale in the Chapel is really cheap with bat props on a stick.

The R.I.P.A version is a good improvement in some places though. Definitely an improvement over the 2004 form, but still not as good as the original version.

Last edited:
As of right now I cannot comment on this thread as I have never done any version of the Haunting. If I visit the park before the select ride offering for Magical Christmas and get on it, I will cast my vote then.

I have done all three versions however due to being a small kid at the time I can only remember the 2004 and current version. I prefer the 2004 version, it used to be super scary and the through put for people was at its best. From memory the skeleton section was more of a scare but the best part was the final ride section. I remember the bats popping up out of the coffins and biting you on the legs in the dark. It was such a good effect. I do feel like the middle section of the current ride is probably the best it’s ever been for practical effects but personally I feel like the ghost lady is too loud, and the old ghost busters bodies hanging above don’t tie into the current story line.

I have done all three versions however due to being a small kid at the time I can only remember the 2004 and current version. I prefer the 2004 version, it used to be super scary and the through put for people was at its best. From memory the skeleton section was more of a scare but the best part was the final ride section. I remember the bats popping up out of the coffins and biting you on the legs in the dark. It was such a good effect. I do feel like the middle section of the current ride is probably the best it’s ever been for practical effects but personally I feel like the ghost lady is too loud, and the old ghost busters bodies hanging above don’t tie into the current story line.
I agree with a lot of what you've said here! I never experience the pre 2016 versions, but the Chapel and Skeleton cellar scenes looked so much better. The UV helped a lot as it as they look like Traditional UV tubes, instead of the LED UV they use now, you can tell really easily with all the purple visible light. I miss the original music the ride had, it was a lot more memorable than the current ambient music now personally. I love the current library scene though with the lady of the house, it's some proper scary stuff, but just scary enough for kids that won't make them all go out screaming or crying lol. My only gripe is that it isn't an animatronic head but a projection.

I can imagine how good those leg ticklers were back in the day. I'd love them to bring those back!

If I had to rank all 3 from POVs though, I'd go:

3. 2004 version (corny preshow)
2. 2016 version (For the 2nd Preshow alone)
1. 1996 version

Just coming back here to redo my ranking after experiencing The Haunting Reclaimed. After finally experiencing some of the original ride, I was pleasantly surprised how well all the original audio and video still holds up to this day! Doctor X, the Preshow as a whole is so much better than it was previously with Doctor Ghostman! Way more engaging! The audio as well was a solid upgrade, it was actually pretty unsettling in all of the scenes, especially the Cellar and Chapel! I'll leave my updated ranking below.

4. 2004 version
3. 2016 version
2. The Haunting Reclaimed
1. 1996 Version

on all my goes on haunting reclaimed no one spoke a word over the preshow I was amazed when ghostman was in everyone was bored and making jokes, people take things seriously when there's a dark tone created, dr x does truly hold up, I preferred the original chapel audio compared to the 2016 one although better quality speakers are need desperately, I rode the vampire version but don't remember all of it, i did like the vampire but the vicar did look better, haunting is a perfect example of bringing things back that "do" need it because the new stuff is worse if the haunting reclaimed was done to a better quality then i would prefer it to the 2004 version, I think going forward and making change is important because you cant really stick with the same thing over and over again (it gets very boring) haunting is the exception something like duel, bubbleworks needed it i know surprising!.

4. 2016 version
3. The Haunting Reclaimed
2. 2004 version
1. 1996 version

Back