Golden Nuggets or Sheriffs Showdown?

Which version of the ride did you prefer?

• Golden Nuggets Wild West Shootout!

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Sheriffs Showdown, Take back The West!

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
With the new area and roller coaster underway, and the obvious work being done to it, including Drunken Barrels getting a new theme, and Sheriffs Showdown receiving a fresh coat of paint, which version of this Classic Shoot em Up did you prefer? The original Golden Nuggets theme, or its current IP free form?

Personally, it's pretty hard to say which version is prefer. I really like the addition they added to it when it was being redone, such as the star cloth, the wall added to hide the scenes, the new guns, etc. Unfortunately there's a lot I don't like about it, that being the lighting, making everything look purple, the screens they added on the carts, which really detach you from the experience personally, especially the corny video. The less amount of effects it has, especially the first scene, and the music. Don't get me started on the music. At least they kept the "You got a bonus!" Sound effect, never gets old! The facade looked pretty lifeless as well. Thankfully it looks like this has been rectified! It'd be nice if they got all 8 cars working again.

Now, what did Golden Nuggets have going for it then? Quite a bit actually. The music sounded really good and fitted in really well with the fast paced style the ride had. The first scene was quite detailed as well, with all the tools and hay scattered about. I miss those rats too, haha! The lighting though, specifically in it's later years looked appalling and made the ride look cheap. The props also seemed to move a lot more as well, even some of them used to shoot back at you and you'd lose points! I think that's a really cool concept! The guns were better as well, when you pulled the trigger, it'd make a gunshot sound effect, unlike the buzzing you hear. The ride did have its downsides as well. The main room was too open and it spoiled the rest of the experience for you. The station looked pretty bland, but I really like those frames they hung up, telling you what to do and how to win.

The facade for Golden Nuggets looked great as well when it was new, especially with the 3D logo and the vibrat look! It had a lot of details as well, such as the roof tiles added to the entrance to the station, the top section (which is now unfortunately gone).
photo-1058.jpg

all in all, both are good in their own ways, though personally, Golden Nuggets just about takes it for me. What are your thoughts? Which version of the ride do you prefer?

Well I never rode it as Golden Nuggets so can't give a comparison.

It will be interesting to see how the new coaster / themed area changes the dynamics of the park. On busy days we woul dmake a beeline up to the top as the Showdown / Barrells / Dutchman would give a quick boost of rides with much shorter queues.

The ride does have great advantages in terms of its interactivity and having a competitive aspect. This makes re-ridability a real thing on something which otherwise would be a fairly mundane experience.

These are however also disadvantages, there are more things to go wrong, more items that need maintenance. And I think that the ride suffers from the fact that it can still go round and operate to a level even if there are some targets out or models / doors not moving. I'd liketo think that they will now keep on top of the maintenance issues but given the apparent low priority given to ensuring adequate staffing I am a little concerned.

Back