Carousel

Dan

Team Member
Team Member
The Carousel is a Drayton Manor classic, being built in 1898 and coming to Drayton Manor in 1958, it is the oldest operating ride at the park. The carousel was refurbished in 2013 by John H. Rundles. Please see the below picture from the parks website:

Here is the refurbishment plate taken on 20/02/19:

They rerouted the queue line temporary so guests can social distance it also must be a nightmare for staff as I watched them clean every horse and the poles. This must have been every 30 to 45 mins.
D13DAB73-D8B5-41A3-BA7C-D12630DE51E9.jpeg

I noticed that a number of horses have been removed. Whether this is temporary to address the issue that some had regarding the paint or whether they have been binned I don't know.

One that has gone is Sam - that featured on this thread with the blemmy in its chest.

I doubt they would bin any of the horses. Given their age and heritage and the fact that a new wooden horse would set you back a sizeable amount. I would say they are being restored (I hope anyway, don't want to see any of those fibreglass horses on the galloper :cry:).

I worked at a vintage travelling fair where one of the Cockerels on the Gallopers had to be completely replaced and it set the them back around 13k. Usually you would restore them if they you can or buy a vintage replacement.

Back