2019 Developments

Dan

Team Member
Team Member
Drayton Manor have not yet unveiled any plans for the 2019 Season. But what do you think will happen this season...

Could we see rides being refurbished? The return of an SBNO ride? Or perhaps a new investment? Or do you think the park will save money for future investments and not invest this season?

Splash Canyon won't be returning which is unfortunate, but leaves enough room and space for future development. Perfect space for a Gerstlauer or Maurer spinning coaster.

Pirate Adventure is the only ride on site which has a chance at returning but it all depends if DMP is willing to invest in it. Excalibur is a no go unless you want to turn that lake into a boating lake, or the future home for another Drayton Queen.

Unfortunate to hear Splash Canyon won't be returning - it was a great ride and was a great pull for the family market most certainly. Although the space they have gained for a themed investment could be promising, I think Splash Canyon was better to keep purely because it was a popular addition for the family market.

Could the Excalibur lake be used for anything but a water ride potentially?

I would like to see a new replacement of Drayton Queen to run around the Excalibur lake. It may be smaller but all the Excalibur props are still left on site so could be reused. And due to the smaller layout it would be better for throughputs as it’ll have a shorter run time.

The station can be situated within the zoo.

@Harry So is splash canyon confirmed to be going now as well?
This is what I read:
"Drayton Manor previously said Splash Canyon would remain closed until the inquiry has 'fully concluded and the facts established.'

A spokesperson for the Health and Safety Executive said: 'The water ride is closed and there are no imminent plans for it to be reopened while our investigation is ongoing. There is a strong chance the ride will never open again.'"

Now would that be in respect or because of a issue with the ride I wonder. Do you know why the case was postponed?

I've been told why officially, but due to having close connections with management and the directors I can't comment. Splash is such a grey area for me, as the inquiry is ongoing. Just one of those things sadly :/

As awful as it sounds, it seems a shame the enquiry hasn't been wrapped up yet. I should think Drayton are waiting on outcomes etc before they can plan much else.

It is a shame it hasn't wrapped up just yet. I agree, I think that needs to get sorted before they will even look at making a new investment - all financial predictions are likely dependent on this decision.

Biggest problem they got is when Splash Canyon was built for the 1993 season they also put the footings in and the station in for Shockwave.
I wouldn't be surprised (if they dont want to/ can't open Splash) if they fill the ride in and replace it with a tracked ride (e.g. a larger Sodor Classic Cars) that follows the rapids layout.

Reactions: Dan
If splash canyon was permanently closed I highly doubt it could ever be replaced with another major ride or coaster, that area is just too awkwardly placed between shockwave's layout : (

If splash canyon was permanently closed I highly doubt it could ever be replaced with another major ride or coaster, that area is just too awkwardly placed between shockwave's layout : (

Realistically, if they were going to replace Splash with another attraction, I can see them filling in trough, clearing the theming and buildings, and placing in a large mini golf attraction. I can't see another ride or coaster intertwining with Shockwave get built. It can be done, but I doubt Drayton will do it.

although I don't think it will close,
everyone knows it was the girls fault because she was stupid enough to try and stand up, they just never say that because they're worried they would "offend the family" I think the investigation will finally be closed at some point this season with no conclusion or fault on the park, or ride's fault
I think we may see new updated boats but thats all

Well when it’s Shockwaves time to leave the park it won’t be replaced by another big coaster as the noice it makes can be heard from the village next to the park.

Back