UK Theme Park Maintenance

remlap

When visiting theme park’s outside the U.K. (primarily the US) I always find them to be well kept and looked after. I know places like Disney have eye watering budgets but it means attractions last for years looking brand new (even if the ride system has been effectively replaced 3 times over)

I just see time and time again (and not just at Drayton) that rides are built and then left to rot with theming vandalised and effects left broken.

I’m sure Alton towers TLC program wouldn’t have been necessary if the rides had been looked after.

What are people’s thoughts on this?

These days, a lot of UK theme parks (outside of Merlin) tend to keep theming to a minimum. Look at places like Blackpool Pleasure Beach, in the last decade or so they’ve been modernising the park with things like the Sculpture Gardens and the fountains, whilst at the same time a lot of the themed buildings (like Trauma Towers and Bowl A Drome) have gone/ had all theming removed. Bearing in mind 20 years ago, they invested £15million into Valhalla (a major immersive dark ride), theming isn’t a priority for parks (and most guests) these days. In reality, it can be cheaper for a park to remove theming and replace it with something bland than keeping it up to standard overtime. And we know how important it is for parks to be saving money at this moment in time *tries not to mention that B word*.

The UK theme park industry has evolved since the days of John Wardley and his ‘reimagining’ of Chessington and rides like Pirate Adventure. Unless it’s an IP or a major coaster, it’s unlikely we’ll ever see a park take time for the theming, as a (for example) *a generic train themed land* won’t sell as good as Thomas Land.

The only real theme park in Britain that does non-IP and immersive lands well seems to be Paultons Park. Yes, Peppa Pig World is an IP, but instead of going for IP after IP since then, they’ve gone with original themes to improve the park and make it unique. Drayton should have done something similar after Thomas Land’s opening in ‘08, instead of the constant expansions with a little amount of new rides being added outside of it since then. If it worked for a park that was not well known before Peppa Pig World opened, it could have worked for a park that was already well known and established with rides like Shockwave and Apocalypse.

Maintenance is a massive part of having any theme park ride - both for mechanical issues and maintenance of the theming. It does seem that a lot of park in the UK choose not to maintain their rides until they reach breaking point - whereas I imagine it would be a lot cheaper to just spend money on remedial maintenance rather than one big "burst" which is more damaging on an overall budget. I'm sure we can all think of plenty of good examples of this in the industry - Duel, Valhalla, Sheriff's Showdown - notice that they all seem to be effects or theming based rides.

If things were remedially maintained, then they would likely last much longer and the ride in question would be of much better quality for guests - I think the parks are slowly getting wise to this idea now. Vandalism is something that's unavoidable, and more of an issue with people than the parks, but it is their job to remove the evidence of this.

Parks in the UK seem to focus on ride maintenance rather than effects / theming maintenance, which is likely why there are so few themed UK attractions nowadays, due to them either breaking and being removed, or parks avoiding them due to the maintenance costs. A themed attraction, in my eyes, is much more important than the ride system that accompanies it - rides should be an experience, not just a "number" for your credits.

The UK really shouldn’t have no problems maintaining all attractions as there main attractions are closed from the beginning of November to the Mid/End of March. I think Thomas land needs a lot of TLC but it’s really only fully closed for 6/7 weeks of the year so they only have time in Nov and Jan for Ride Maintenance. Cbeebies land for 6 years old is in a very bad state on the night garden a few things didn’t work and everything was dirty.

Maintenance is a massive part of having any theme park ride - both for mechanical issues and maintenance of the theming. It does seem that a lot of park in the UK choose not to maintain their rides until they reach breaking point - whereas I imagine it would be a lot cheaper to just spend money on remedial maintenance rather than one big "burst" which is more damaging on an overall budget. I'm sure we can all think of plenty of good examples of this in the industry - Duel, Valhalla, Sheriff's Showdown - notice that they all seem to be effects or theming based rides.

If things were remedially maintained, then they would likely last much longer and the ride in question would be of much better quality for guests - I think the parks are slowly getting wise to this idea now. Vandalism is something that's unavoidable, and more of an issue with people than the parks, but it is their job to remove the evidence of this.

Parks in the UK seem to focus on ride maintenance rather than effects / theming maintenance, which is likely why there are so few themed UK attractions nowadays, due to them either breaking and being removed, or parks avoiding them due to the maintenance costs. A themed attraction, in my eyes, is much more important than the ride system that accompanies it - rides should be an experience, not just a "number" for your credits.
I think this is spot on, and I imagine people will be more willing to return to a park if on their first visit everything is working, nicely maintained and not covered in graffiti (which is another issue I think UK parks tolerate way to readily).

I think the graffiti at Drayton down to a minimum as years ago the whole of Shockwave queue line was covered in it. Even with the haunting logo warning people drew all over the sign with a CCTV camera looking at them. It’s not hard to repaint the whole of Thomas land in the time the park is closed. Aerial Park looks nice as that’s been repainted in the last 4/5 years.

These days, a lot of UK theme parks (outside of Merlin) tend to keep theming to a minimum.
I wouldn't exclude Merlin. We're talking about a company that is guilty of not looking after their rides or parks in general, leaving entire areas of the park (Cloud Cuckoo Land says hello!) with empty attractions or buildings. Merlin's practice over the last decade has literally been "keeping things to a minimum". Look at how Merrie England became Mutiny Bay. It was barely even a repaint, with a few small nets and flags added here and there and the only major thing being the parrot (which was recycled from Thorpe Park) and Battle Galleons, which is nicely done but relies on the interactivity.
Then Ug land; which got turned in to the 'dark forest' which is ironically a completely spacious and open area that uses the same buildings for Ug Land with a tiny repaint (some of which is coming off). Then you've got angry birds land, wild woods etc. I would go as far to say that Merlin epitomize the lack of investment and keeping thing to a bare minimum!
The UK theme park industry has evolved since the days of John Wardley and his ‘reimagining’ of Chessington and rides like Pirate Adventure. Unless it’s an IP or a major coaster, it’s unlikely we’ll ever see a park take time for the theming, as a (for example) *a generic train themed land* won’t sell as good as Thomas Land.
I think that's the exact mindset that Merlin have and that is the major problem with the industry as a whole. Thomas Land is an isolated example of an IP done well; it doesn't necessarily imply that the industry needs IPs to do well, and that anything else is a failure of an investment (Same argument stands with Peppa Pig World at Paulton's). Since the late 2000s, all UK parks including Drayton have ever focused on is IPs, and now I think a lot of people seem to be under some kind of pretense that this is the be all and end all of new attractions. It's a problem everywhere really, even with the big studios parks over in America. This obsession with IPs is really just a safe way to invest without taking big risks and designing something new and innovative.

Wickerman did really well, not because it was based off either of the films (it ended up not really following the films at all), but because of what it was, an impressively themed ride with a very cool center piece and a complete ride experience including the pre show and actual ride.
I think it's just a general unwillingness by most UK parks to look after their rides, and assume that guests aren't meticulous enough to notice. Agree that it's about themed attractions though, I think that's the core argument here. The UK theme park industry is not in a good state and what we really need more than anything is a return to large scale themed rides/dark rides. I think it'd really shake up the UK parks if one park was brave enough to invest in a big dark ride.

Last edited:
The next ride most likely to have maintenance is probably The Bounty because they've covered quite a lot of ground in terms of maintenance for the past 3-4 seasons
. Stormforce 10
. Pandemonium
. Haunting
. Buffalo
. Flying Dutchman
. Sheriff's Showdown
. Apocalypse

I don't know about anyone else, but I would love to help out behind the scenes with a TLC programme or something.
It would be nice to help the parks out and bring them back to their 'former' glory.

--

A lot of the UK parks have a lot to do in order to get to the standards of parks like Disney

I'd like to see some work done around the park (not on rides) on:
  • Exterior of Drunken Barrels - the coloured paintwork at the top is peeling, the sign replaced at the front of the ride
  • The horrible smell that there sometimes is around Drunken Barrels - don't know what that is
  • 4D Cinema repaint - exterior and interior, the waiting room ceiling needs some work
  • Pathway outside Fun Foods - very bumpy and needs some work, block paving like by the lake would be nice
  • Jolly Buccaneer - queue line repaint and plants planting
  • Stormforce 10 - jet wash the building and re-paint the trough
  • Shockwave - station building and track supports

These days, a lot of UK theme parks (outside of Merlin) tend to keep theming to a minimum. Look at places like Blackpool Pleasure Beach, in the last decade or so they’ve been modernising the park with things like the Sculpture Gardens and the fountains, whilst at the same time a lot of the themed buildings (like Trauma Towers and Bowl A Drome) have gone/ had all theming removed. Bearing in mind 20 years ago, they invested £15million into Valhalla (a major immersive dark ride), theming isn’t a priority for parks (and most guests) these days. In reality, it can be cheaper for a park to remove theming and replace it with something bland than keeping it up to standard overtime. And we know how important it is for parks to be saving money at this moment in time *tries not to mention that B word*.

The only real theme park in Britain that does non-IP and immersive lands well seems to be Paultons Park. Yes, Peppa Pig World is an IP, but instead of going for IP after IP since then, they’ve gone with original themes to improve the park and make it unique. Drayton should have done something similar after Thomas Land’s opening in ‘08, instead of the constant expansions with a little amount of new rides being added outside of it since then. If it worked for a park that was not well known before Peppa Pig World opened, it could have worked for a park that was already well known and established with rides like Shockwave and Apocalypse.
Amanda's fountain obsessed so that's no surprise. The Bowl A Drome was looking quite dirty and dated so I can see why they removed that though I did used to like the amount of rockwork BPB had with Gold Mine, River Caves and Bowl A Drome. Trauma Towers had to be removed because of the building being damp, but hopefully we could see a new ride soon because it doesn't look great seeing the back of Alice's building. It has to be well themed though, and hopefully Drayton's next ride will capture this and by eye-catching theming. Reading Creating My Own Nemesis, I can tell how frustrated Wardley felt when he saw the state of Barry Island and I don't blame him because it lacked theming then, and sadly I think we're falling back into that, though Stormforce 10 still has one of the best themed queue lines in Europe!

I think it’s the park’s biggest mistake G force with no positives for the ride. I last went on it in 2017 and I think I pulled something as was in pain for a week. It could be a station building for the rumoured kids track ride. It maybe a temporary shop as the flood did more damage than we thought to the sweet and toy shop

Back