New 'No Drones' Sign

Can't help but think that this isn't going to be seen really by those it is targetted towards but here to share the message.

1680686824234.jpeg

I guess this was because Ariel Amusements, on twitter, kind of completely spoiled the new ride as they showed shots of it from above.

Can't help but think that this isn't going to be seen really by those it is targetted towards but here to share the message.

View attachment 3642

Unfortunately for Drayton Manor, that sign is not enforceable.

Drayton Manor do not own the airspace above the park. They have the rights You are free to fly whatever you want above the park aslong as you stay within the legal limits. Just like how you are free to fly drones above police stations, industrial sites and everything in between.

All of which can be done very easily with a drone and while staying within legal limits.

Plenty of YouTube channels now exist doing this / seemingly knowing much more about the law than the sites which try to refuse them access to fly over. (they always fly over anyway as no laws are being broken). I suspect someone at DMR doesn't fully understand the law surround drones. As this sign is pretty meaningless.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I don't know. All I know is that, that sign, by law is not enforceable.

Last edited:

I am 1000% sure yes, the link you provided also confirms it is right. There is a distance rule for drones over 250g and rules for under 250g. As shown in the link you posted.

Screenshot_20230529_163700_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230529_163748_Chrome.jpg

The no fly zone of 150m is assumed for a drone weight of 250g or more. Anything under 250g you can get much closer, closer than 50m. It even lists Theme Parks as something you can fly close too / at. As seen above and in the link you posted.

Drayton Manor, like the majority of businesses, do not own the air rights above their land. They have no jurisdiction on the air. The CAA does, they state, as you pointed out by kindly sharing the link, you can fly over them almost unrestricted with a drone weight under 250g, as long as it is in a safe manner.

See how it says you can fly them AT leisure sites, IF the thing is under 250g? You don't fly stuff on the ground you fly it in the air. Airspace which is managed by the CAA, not Drayton Manor. Thus their sign has no merit or enforceability. You cannot tell people they cannot fly somewhere you do not own.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about drones or these laws, but I would assume you can't fly over the park if they have a sign saying you can't - they own the land and can set whatever rules they like.

I don't know anything about drones or these laws, but I would assume you can't fly over the park if they have a sign saying you can't - they own the land and can set whatever rules they like.

They can, of course they can. But those rules are for the LAND not the air. Drayton Manor can set whatever rules they want on the land they own. But not for the airspace above the park, which they do not own. When you buy a piece of land, a building, a house, whatever. You never get the airspace rights above your purchase. Ever.

There are many YouTube channels proving this in action. Try DJ Audits. That specific channel even goes as far as flying drones above police stations and after some altercations, gets left alone once the police actually look at and understand the law surrounding drones. Leaving him free to carry on flying over the police station.

The only thing that sign prevents you from doing is taking the drone off, landing the drone and controlling the drone from the land owned by Drayton Manor. You are free to do all that from an adjacent piece of land.

They can, of course they can. But those rules are for the LAND not the air. Drayton Manor can set whatever rules they want on the land they own. But not for the airspace above the park, which they do not own. When you buy a piece of land, a building, a house, whatever. You never get the airspace rights above your purchase. Ever.

There are many YouTube channels proving this in action. Try DJ Audits. That specific channel even goes as far as flying drones above police stations and after some altercations, gets left alone once the police actually look at and understand the law surrounding drones. Leaving him free to carry on flying over the police station.

The only thing that sign prevents you from doing is taking the drone off, landing the drone and controlling the drone from the land owned by Drayton Manor. You are free to do all that from an adjacent piece of land.
I would say as long as you are a decent distance away in the air you should be fine to do so.

How much does a drone weigh then?

I think point 5 on the list is a barrier if you wanted to fly over the park when it was open. Obviously less so when closed.

Also there is the point about wildlife and animals as well as tall structures (told you they should have kept apocolypse)

You can plenty of drones with HD cameras that weigh less that 250g. Point 5 would not apply to Drayton Manor. That is more referring to, say the front of a massively packed crowd at a music festival. You are never really that busy at Drayton Manoe, except when watching fireworks.

You can fly over Drayton Manor in a drone, legally. Ring up the CAA, they will say the same.

The point about the crowds situation as I read it is the ability to run out of the way. I'd suggest that the queue lines and fences etc would be a concern.

I'm not going to ring the CAA - its not my fight, I dont have a drone, I don't particularly want a drone and I don't particularly care about a ban.

The only interest I have is if they are introducing a new attraction where you can try and shoot them down in exchange for a cuddly alien.

I thought u can fly a Drone but you can’t be on there properly so you will have to be halfway day the main drive way as that is a main road that’s used for the houses on the right but you go under the archway, the park and the golf course.

They added another sign by the hotel car park
View attachment 4763

Nice. But once again this only refers to the remit the park operate in. As in, you cannot take off, control and land a drone from within the park boundaries.

It is perfectly legal to do that from outside the park boundaries and fly over the park however. The park signs do not cover that as the park have no legal standing to say so. If that is right or wrong is a debate for another time. But the law is the law and facts are facts.

For context. You are allowed to fly over most Police Stations in the UK, no laws are being broke and that's a government building.

Back