Southport Pleasureland

I hopeyou had a nice time Paul. The weather today was certainly better and may have helped considerably.

I knew I would be in Southport for the afternoon with the little lad but was unsure as to what we may get up to. Basically we had 3 and a bit hours to kill.

I wasn't planning on pleasureland but the Pier was closed. He didn't like the idea of the cinema and the bowling alley had no lanes available.

So whilst the fair seemed to be a lot when I broke it donw by cost per hour, and also saw how every ride seemed to be walk on I thought why not.

But the experience was, in parts, just awful. Some rides although appearing shonky were a decent experience. The fun houses were different to what we were used too. But some staff, those in charge of running the dodgems in particular need a slap upside the head.

Many rides not accessible, some closed during the time we were there, but the biggest scream of the whole expereince was that you get measured for the wristband and then the measures at the rides don't match up. So little lad is over 1.4. He was measured for 1.4. we paid for 1.4 (not sure if there was a difference). And he got a 1.4 wrist band....then you turn up at a 1.4 ride and you get turned away because he isn't tall enough. And he's turned away from some rides (which don't have a measure) as he has a red 1.4m wristband.

Then more rides closed during the visit. Probably due to the weather, but you had to go and try to get on the ride and attraction before they told you it was closed.

For the purists too who love theming and the like, I would love to see the reaction to the mismatch of flying elephants with Pirates in the centre of the ride and surroundings. A caterpillar is also not a dragon.

Fair play there were a couple of staff members who were top notch. And there were a few ideas which could be nicked for use at DMR. But overall, nah. There is a new development supposedly coming online. I'm not sure I'd even return when thats in place.

I must admit, it was better then I was expecting. Though I had low expectations to begin with. There were still signs all over after Blackpool Pleasure Beach had effectively destroyed it after 2006 and yes it was mostly just fairground rides which for £27.50 seems quite pricey but on the flip side. You could see they were trying, lots of areas looked freshly painted, there was the Vikings expansion. Obviously its still a long way from how it was pre 2006 when it had Cyclone and Trumatizer, sadly I never went to it at that point so its hard to compare but they are defiantly trying to restore it to its former glory, it just seems like its been a very long slow job to get it close to anything like how it was pre 2006

I was considering going over the bank holiday to visit this one however when I looked on the website, it was really not worth it for me without any children.
I couldn't see anything worth me going to pay the entry price for.

The themed areas are a start - but they seem quite...thrown together with rides that aren't really themed nor matching the theme of the areas.

An odd place.

Back