Twycross Zoo

Have you been to Twycross?

• Total voters

alfie8

Twycross zoo is located in Leicestershire. I went a few days ago (Wednesday 23rd) and it was a good, fun day out.

One of the main draws for Twycross is that they are the only zoo in the UK to house all 4 great apes. Another factor (for this year) is that when you buy a ticket you pretty much get a free annual pass. While it doesn't have discounts and such, you can visit whenever you want for a whole year after your visit. This is very good considering tickets are only £22.50 (adult) and £17.10 (child). Keep in mind these are prices when you pre-book on their website.

Anyways, let's talk about my actual visit. We intended to arrive early although due to traffic we arrived half an hour after opening. At a theme park, this can sometimes be an issue as you want to get on as many rides as possible but since this is a zoo it doesn't really make a difference. The entrance to the zoo is really grand and modern. It reminds me a bit of the Skyline Pavilion at the Butlins resorts with that glass roof. Inside you will find the gift shop, toilets, a small food place and a soft play.
CDM-2009-Twycross-Zoo-Visitors-Centre-32.jpg

The animals themselves are pretty good. They have a good variety and everyone can find something to enjoy. There are 6 main parts of Twycross; Gruffalo Discovery Land, Gibbon Forest, Wet 'n' Wild, Chimpanzee Eden, the middle section and the back section (not the official name for the last two). The middle and back sections mainly just hold traditional zoo animals such as giraffes, rhinos, reptiles ect. Chimpanzee Eden houses, well, chimpanzees, Gibbon Forest, again, houses gibbons. Gruffalo Discovery Land is the most recent (?) and in my opinion best part of the whole place. This area is also a standout for families and young children as there is more than just animals here. They have a statue of the Gruffalo himself, a butterfly farm, cafe, gift shop, goats and small play area. There is also a walkthrough trail around the area which tells the story of the Gruffalo book, with some interactive elements and animatronics. The goats and butterfly farm were both re-imagined when this area was created last year. Wet 'N' Wild has splash pads, which are nice to cool off on a hot day, flamingos, penguins and some food vans and stalls.

Since I have received the free ticket to go back anytime within 12 months, I will share any updates with you the next time I go.
Feel free to ask any questions of things I may have missed out, and thanks for reading!

Drayton Manor is still referred to as "the old zoo" as we often used to just go and walk around the zoo when the little lad was very small. This was the opposite of Twycross which was "the new zoo" as it was the one we we went to after.

I visited here again today using the free 12 month return ticket. Nothing new as far as I can tell, apart from an odd few construction walls around the place for renovations. The only major thing was that the splash pads were shut but considering the current weather it didn't really matter.

Back