The Water Rides!

Ollie

Alright, I was here yesterday for Stormforce 10, about 27 degrees. And where was Stormforce? It was closed!!

River Rapids and Stormforce was closed. Stormforce was the main reason I came as it was so warm, yet it opened at about 3pm. Took them long enough, couldn’t they of said that it would of been opening later? It’s normally open for Adventure Cove opening at 12pm.

Opinions?

Stormforce is an incredibly complicated, old, and prototype or near prototype ride model. It has hundreds of sensors, motors, lifts and moving platforms below or in or just above water level. If any of these are down, the ride cannot operate safely, and therefore will not operate full stop. If any one of the light gate sensors used to track the boats trips erronously, the whole ride will shut down to prevent blocking errors. The ride is more than prone to shutdowns than most other attractions in the park for this reason, and by its very nature, these shutdowns are almost exclusively last minute and unpredictable. The park had no way of knowing the ride would be down excessively that day, and could not predict it. It opens at 12 to give time for these errors to hopefully occur and be remedied before opening, but there is no garauntee. The HSE wrote a very clear set of guidance after the accident on the rapids in 2017, that means that Drayton are rightly very cautious with free flow open water rides. They will always take the decision to close over a faut, no matter how minor, than potentialy have any kind of risk.

TL;DR
The ride is very prone to failures due to its nature, that cause the park to close it for extended periods of time, with little or no warning. This is comletely normal for the ride and other water rides in general, due to high safety standards.

You can understand the frustration though.

The old theme park maxim of "do the water rides last" doesn't really apply at Drayton. Now if you see the water running....get in the queue.
I usually do go on storm force last as I do get absolutely soaked on it. That's why it's Best ride

Main frustration tho is that they said stormforce will open a bit late today, guessing that would be prime time 1-2pm? But no.

Main frustration tho is that they said stormforce will open a bit late today, guessing that would be prime time 1-2pm? But no.
They can't always stick to what they say. Staff might be I'll and they will not of bin able to open it

I get your frustration, but believe me, if the park could open the ride they certainly would. The main issue is usually the fact Stormforce is an old and complicated ride. All it takes is one thing not working and that could put the ride out of action all day.

I get your frustration, but believe me, if the park could open the ride they certainly would. The main issue is usually the fact Stormforce is an old and complicated ride. All it takes is one thing not working and that could put the ride out of action all day.
It just needs I'd say a years maintenance

Does anyone know what the maintenance for the rapids is about ? It seems to always be closed. I thought yesterday with it being 30 they may open it as I’m aware it’s been operating on certain occasions.

I think with the rapids it’s more of a staffing issue than a maintenance issue. It requires a large amount of staff to run, with extras being needed to cover breaks too.

I think with the rapids it’s more of a staffing issue than a maintenance issue. It requires a large amount of staff to run, with extras being needed to cover breaks too.
I thought this may be the case as storm force and the rapids have the highest staff volume for operations. We find it frustrating as the customer service lady when she sees us keeps saying “you’ve missed it, it was open yesterday “. I’m hoping the park will reflect on staff operations for next year.

I thought this may be the case as storm force and the rapids have the highest staff volume for operations. We find it frustrating as the customer service lady when she sees us keeps saying “you’ve missed it, it was open yesterday “. I’m hoping the park will reflect on staff operations for next year.
Defo a staff problem. When Stormforce is open, a diff ride in Adventure Cove is closed.

Back