Suggestions - For Improvement (About Drayton Manor)

Little Lad and I are having a holiday. Bit of a holiday of a lifetime to be honest. Don;t think this is the kind of thing we do regularly or ever. But we are visitng relatives in America and tying it in with a trip to (hopefully) see the total eclipse nest week.

Whilst here we have paid a visit to the Rush Funplex

Now this is an indoor centre. There are various sections and makes really good use of black light flor atmosphere and makes great use of available space. IT is big though but would provide a possibility of year round access, party venue as well as increasing both cashable purchases and private hire.

There is a massive foam pit, this also has a climbing wall, trampolines and trapeze. There was a go kart track which in the middle had a laser tag venue. There was adventure golf, small pool tables, bumper cars and a ten pin alley. As an investment it would be significant but the increase to the offering both in terms of range and the times it could be productive would be significant.

Itd also allow for (some) staff to be retained over the winter period

Today's stolen idea comes courtesy of Fritz's restaurant

This is a railway themed restaurant that will excite some board users as there is a Thomas on display.

Now this could be a real idea for the park. The set up is like a traditional american diner. You are shown to your table and then you order by a telephone which is in your booth. The food is despatched by a train which moves from the kitchen round a track towards the ceiling. The food is in a hogh sided tray which is despatched from the train and then is lwered to the table on a little hydraulic plate.

It actually has several advantages for the theme park market. It obviosuly has a gimmick which makes any premium pricing less of a deterrant. Also it means that waiting staff can focus on clearing tables and it speeds turnaround really quickly and there aren't loads of queues standing around with grumpy kids. The whole meal is an event in itself. Little lad was happy wearing his paper drivers hat, as were the surprising numbers of teenagers who really bought into the vibe.

The clever thing is that they have turned the automation and efficiency as a positive part of the whole experience. Something similar at the park would, I think, actually encourage people to attend the park in itself as well as purchase food / drink etc. It also encourages upselling, want some extra fries or onion rings? Pick the phone back up and get another choo choo making its way to your table.

Today's stolen idea comes courtesy of Fritz's restaurant

This is a railway themed restaurant that will excite some board users as there is a Thomas on display.

Now this could be a real idea for the park. The set up is like a traditional american diner. You are shown to your table and then you order by a telephone which is in your booth. The food is despatched by a train which moves from the kitchen round a track towards the ceiling. The food is in a hogh sided tray which is despatched from the train and then is lwered to the table on a little hydraulic plate.

It actually has several advantages for the theme park market. It obviosuly has a gimmick which makes any premium pricing less of a deterrant. Also it means that waiting staff can focus on clearing tables and it speeds turnaround really quickly and there aren't loads of queues standing around with grumpy kids. The whole meal is an event in itself. Little lad was happy wearing his paper drivers hat, as were the surprising numbers of teenagers who really bought into the vibe.

The clever thing is that they have turned the automation and efficiency as a positive part of the whole experience. Something similar at the park would, I think, actually encourage people to attend the park in itself as well as purchase food / drink etc. It also encourages upselling, want some extra fries or onion rings? Pick the phone back up and get another choo choo making its way to your table.
That sounds adorable! Definately can imagine this in thomasland!

20220416_155702.jpg

Must i say more?

But could Looping Group open Pirate Adventure back up? It’s literally a Pirate of the Caribbean Rip off from Disneyland. It won’t look too good for a big company like Looping
It would take a lot of work, the building is badly damaged and it isn't all that safe

It would be a long term, future project if anything :)
It will be worth the wait if they do it.

As long as they don't just fill it with screens... Give us animatronics and good themed scenes please...

A fancy dress day. £10 off a ticket if you come in fancy dress. They'd more than make up any "losses" by the uptake of on ride photos / parking / catering. Would probably go an absolute dream on the socials.
Would be cool ^^ and so much fun

But, accessories on rides - lots of "can you take that hat off' etc

The amount of times I get told to take my glasses off (I have them secured with a cable so they're fine when I point that out)

That's a really good point.

Still if folks were made aware in advance. As you mention it already had to be done for many small items. Folks would have to be made aware too about costumes need to be compliant with restraints etc.

Effects. Drayton have some incredible effects that are no longer maintained, whether they be switched off or in a state of disrepair. Although Rides can run without these effects, they would vastly improve the Customers’ experience and set Drayton apart from competitors.

Here are a few from the top of my head…
  • Sheriff’s Showdown (multiple animations no longer running, lots of lights either Pink or Blue, and areas without audio at all)
  • The Haunting (Trap Door in queue line hasn’t moved this season, UV Lighting in Corridor is mis-timed and weak, Pre Show floor barely moves, air blasts in Madhouse don’t work)
  • Accelerator (multiple television screens not working, light strips not working, themed lighting not working before entering station)
  • Safari Pizza & Pasta (show no longer runs in sync with audio, giraffes missing for many years)
  • Stormforce 10 (I don’t think both Bull Doors before the drop work, claxons and mist in turn-around sections non-existent, animation before drop doesn’t work, animation in queue line doesn’t work)
  • Adventure Cove River Rapids (I'm hearing reports that multiple water effects no longer work)
  • Sodor Cars (the cows tails don’t work any more, and other animations no longer work).
Drayton has some incredible theming, along with some awesome effects. Why don’t they maintain them?

Effects. Drayton have some incredible effects that are no longer maintained, whether they be switched off or in a state of disrepair. Although Rides can run without these effects, they would vastly improve the Customers’ experience and set Drayton apart from competitors.

Here are a few from the top of my head…
  • Sheriff’s Showdown (multiple animations no longer running, lots of lights either Pink or Blue, and areas without audio at all)
  • The Haunting (Trap Door in queue line hasn’t moved this season, UV Lighting in Corridor is mis-timed and weak, Pre Show floor barely moves, air blasts in Madhouse don’t work)
  • Accelerator (multiple television screens not working, light strips not working, themed lighting not working before entering station)
  • Safari Pizza & Pasta (show no longer runs in sync with audio, giraffes missing for many years)
  • Stormforce 10 (I don’t think both Bull Doors before the drop work, claxons and mist in turn-around sections non-existent, animation before drop doesn’t work, animation in queue line doesn’t work)
  • Adventure Cove River Rapids (I'm hearing reports that multiple water effects no longer work)
  • Sodor Cars (the cows tails don’t work any more, and other animations no longer work).
Drayton has some incredible theming, along with some awesome effects. Why don’t they maintain them?
A lot of the effects on sheriff showdown has been fixed during the closed season so it’s now working 95% all the time.

The Haunting that was broke during the Halloween event some young kids put a branch from a tree they broke underneath and forced it up. I reported to the ride op.

Accelerator it’s not worked in years with most of the effects. Like the pre show video has that ever worked since the re theme. I know with the park been open nearly all the time but could they re route the queue line to say go up the disabled/fast pass queue while they strip the pre show rooms of all its theming and theme it as a power plant or a science lab.

Safari Pizza yeah it’s a shame all the rain/storm effects don’t work anymore as that restaurant is the most themed fast food place in a uk theme park.

Stormforce 10 my favourite queue line in the park with so much to look at. I do wonder if they tried to get the effects working. It’s a problem now staff are trained to fix and service the rides. With the broken effects I guess it wouldn’t be an easy fix without having them removed and taken to the work shop and it be look weird without them been in there.

The rapids that’s a weird 1 but the water pouring of from around the buildings were on 28th April but not on the 5th. Also no smoke coming out the chimneys. Also the queue line videos wasn’t playing. The tunnel bit the smell pots and misters wasn’t working just the lighting. Also no water again at the end of the ride.

Sodor cars took my son on the beginning of April and all 3 cows tails worked maybe a compressor broke and it’s waiting to be repaired/replaced.

Last edited:
Safety.
I noticed a few things on Sunday where I think staff safety should be looked into (does also roll into guest safety, but for me, the staff safety is a big one)
Ride ops should ideally have a second person/attendant with them on rides which are either enclosed or larger to check around (E.g sheriffs showdown & Wave swinger)
Thought prompted by some rather disrespectful guests on Wave Swinger on Sunday evening (last ride)

And of course - car parks. Better traffic control when leaving large events e.g fireworks (security there too..?)

It would be great to see Drayton do something about their car parks, and the general condition of roads around the Resort.

The main drive is comparable to a patchwork quilt, and is so bumpy — not the best first impression despite the lovely entrance archway.

Sure I’m not alone in wishing the park would cover the grass car parks on Fairfield and Longwood. So many cars continually get stuck when the weather is unsavoury.

Drayton trialled a great system last year whereby in the morning both inbound and outbound lanes were converted to inbound only, this allowed people to enter the park quickly. On the evening, the car parks were divided so that some cars were sent through Swiss Lodge Drive by the Main Entrance, which helped reduce queues onto the Coleshill Road.

The park also have some super Barriers which can act as entry / exit, with a terminal on either side of the barrier. It’s beyond me why they don’t have the majority working inbound in the morning, and the majority working outbound on the evening.

Back