Drayton at 70

44B24206-5A6F-4947-BD17-DAE0D3E9B25A.jpeg

I do think it will go on the G-Force site as they had that up since the start of the season.

For Drayton's 70th, I'd personally like to see tributes to previous rides, in the form of merchandise, and photo opportunities related to past rides. For example, I'd like to see some Snake Train merchandise, as past ride merchandise has been popular at Alton Towers especially.

If Drayton did do the above suggestions I think it would be a good way to celebrate being 70 without adding new rides (as I doubt nothing major will come next year now being realistic). Plus they also look to have exciting plans for the zoo soon, so maybe a Zoo related year for 2020? It would be great to see!

If any new rides do come, I'd expect nothing except a small Thomas Land flat ride. A ride that could fit in the space between the park's main entrance and the Thomas Land entrance. It would be good to see a ride themed around Digs & Discoveries, with the premiere be it shown in the 4D Cinema recently.

For Drayton's 70th, I'd personally like to see tributes to previous rides, in the form of merchandise, and photo opportunities related to past rides. For example, I'd like to see some Snake Train merchandise, as past ride merchandise has been popular at Alton Towers especially.

If Drayton did do the above suggestions I think it would be a good way to celebrate being 70 without adding new rides (as I doubt nothing major will come next year now being realistic). Plus they also look to have exciting plans for the zoo soon, so maybe a Zoo related year for 2020? It would be great to see!

If any new rides do come, I'd expect nothing except a small Thomas Land flat ride. A ride that could fit in the space between the park's main entrance and the Thomas Land entrance. It would be good to see a ride themed around Digs & Discoveries, with the premiere be it shown in the 4D Cinema recently.
Well, as said by Themeparksandy1981 in a different thread, he was talking to some Drayton Manor employees and they said that all the budget for next season has been set aside for the main theme park. This must mean more than general refurbishments as that is a lot of money. In my opinion I think we may see a new flat ride for next season on the G-Force site.

Personally I think there'lll be something big coming next year. It's the 70th anniversary which means they'll want something to show for it. I don't think there'll be a new coaster as such, but I think a major thrill ride will replace G-Force. Maybe a Zamperla or if they want to spend the money an Intamin to match the likes of Apocalypse and Maelstrom etc.

Reactions: Dan
I’m hoping for something big next year too, it’s been a while since the Theme Park have had an investment, usually just Thomas Land.

I agree and don’t think it’ll be a coaster, but I think G force willbe replaced next year, maybe not even with a thrill ride, maybe family thrill to the caliber if Air Race. Would love to see them go to intamin.

I’d also like to see the park honour it’s history in some way, perhaps they could have the Bryan’s cut some ribbon for opening day next year, or even talks from them, after all they are a big part of the park and it wouldn’t be here without them.

Maybe they could put some old pictures around the park and honour some of the rides since gone like jungle cruise, Klondike, Excalibur and pirate adventure - without some of their past rides the park wouldn’t be what it is today, so they should al be honoured equally. Old ride soundtracks playing would be cool

I think they should open up a museum celebrating the lives of his parents I bet there’s not many on here got to ride the attractions they added in the 80s/early 90s. I can still remember around 30 years ago going on the rides and my parents having to buy ride tickets. The bumper cars were 4 tickets per car.

I think they should open up a museum celebrating the lives of his parents I bet there’s not many on here got to ride the attractions they added in the 80s/early 90s. I can still remember around 30 years ago going on the rides and my parents having to buy ride tickets. The bumper cars were 4 tickets per car.
Yeah it was a completely different experience when you had to buy tickets. I remember the first time I had a wristband giving you unlimited rides on everything.

After noticing that 2020 Tickets and Season Dates are now available, I noticed that on the background of this page on the Drayton Manor website there were lovely images of the past 70 years of the park - which I think is an absolutely lovely touch!

Screenshot 2020-01-30 at 09.26.38.png

In the background for this page I can spot:
  • Drayton Manor 1981-1990 Logo
  • Drayton Manor 1991-1995 Logo
  • Drayton Manor 1996-2003 Logo
  • Paratower
  • Chairlift
  • Snake Train
  • Ferris Wheel
  • Carousel
  • Peel Mansion Clock Tower
What else can you see? I think it is great that these symbols of the past have been included to help celebrate 70 years of Drayton Manor - hopefully more of this to come! Great job Drayton Manor!

Think Drayton really missed the boat with this. Just seen Alton Towers ad for there 40th birthday and they say what’s new for 2020 with there new rooms and Drayton’s just got a new pass which was available 2 years ago any way.

Think Drayton really missed the boat with this. Just seen Alton Towers ad for there 40th birthday and they say what’s new for 2020 with there new rooms and Drayton’s just got a new pass which was available 2 years ago any way.
That’s the problem, they never have anything new anymore. I always remember the what’s new for... section in the maps. I’ve said this before but I really feel they need to feature what’s left for 2020 as each year a new ride seems to disappear.

I think since Colin Bryan’s parents both died within a month of each other his love for the park has died to. It’s still a family run business but they have other directors involved now and instead of adding bigger attractions they add small attractions which cost less than half a million each but gets more guests though the door. In this article from last Summer https://blooloop.com/features/drayton-manor-family-park/
It says they given up on the teenager market and aim for families under 12. I think if the park still going to be there for it’s 100 Birthday it’s got to look how to make Drayton into a 2 day park.

If Drayton was to pass it’s 100th anniversary, I think there needs to more on offer once the park closes for the day for hotel guests. Yes, you do have the Crazy Golf, however when we played it back in July, we were the only ones there (meaning not many people knew about it/ it’s not popular, bearing in mind it was free). I feel like a Thomas retheme would make it popular again, and they could even charge for it, as there would be a demand.

When I think of ‘2 day parks’ the only one that comes to mind is Alton Towers. There’s pleanty going on after park close there, and some things there could work for Drayton.

Do I think the park will still operate in 2050? Probably, however in a different way to how it’s run now. Thomas Land could last another 10-15 years without any new rides, as it’s still a popular IP, with no sign of slowing down. However I would imagine by 2050, a lot of the thrill rides would have gone, one due to their changing target market, and two, I doubt the maintenance on rides like Shockwave would be any better than it is now. However I could be wrong, some coasters and rides last a long time without parts for it not being made anymore (e.g. Revolution at Blackpool Pleasure Beach is entering it’s 41st season, with it’s manufacturer being defunct for nearly 2 decades). We’ll just have to wait and see.

Very clever usage of Graphics there, great to see the park celebrating their past 70 years - I've had so many fabulous memories at the park, and I know so many other people have. It'd be great to see parts of the parks history, maybe images around the park, some old ride music playing - given how much Drayton seemed to have saved from the years at the auction, I wouldn't be surprised if there are old props from around the park put out on show. It'd be great to have the Bryan's showcasing all they have done for the park and their memories, even if it was pre-recorded. A 70 years firework spectacular could be really cool.

I don't think the park have released anything about what's planned for this weekend, but I think whatever is planned will be something very special - I know I will be there to celebrate.

Back