Big Wheel

Harry

Opened in 1986, the Big Wheel may long not be on site but it is currently operating under new ownership at Billing Aquadrome, by operators Martin and Richard Jennings. The Big Wheel received a refurbishment and repaint in 2011.

The Big Wheel has 18 gondolas.

I still remember the original colour scheme, I did prefer that, much more light and cheerful than the black and white finish - although that did seem very classy.

I completely understand why the park decided to remove the ride, the Ferris Wheel wasn't the most popular attraction and did make them money - I just wish they'd have saved that money to either pay off debt or make an investment other than invest in Test Track.

Well they are making money off HB leisure as it’s them that run test track and they pay Drayton rent. If you notice at the end of the day it’s the HB staff collecting the money out of the bikes and putting them away

Well they are making money off HB leisure as it’s them that run test track and they pay Drayton rent. If you notice at the end of the day it’s the HB staff collecting the money out of the bikes and putting them away
Ah okey then, I guess they're making more money from that compared to the Big Wheel then. I suppose the good thing is that Test Track can easily be removed should they require the space back, but them making money from this at the minute is a very good thing.

I think it went to a theme park called Helmut Hauser!!!
I believe the Big Wheel is operating at Billing Aquadome. I’m glad it was passed on to be reused, and I don’t particularly miss it from Drayton Manor. If test track earns them some money to reinvest elsewhere, then I’m fine with it - it’s a small site anyway.

I believe the Big Wheel is operating at Billing Aquadome. I’m glad it was passed on to be reused, and I don’t particularly miss it from Drayton Manor. If test track earns them some money to reinvest elsewhere, then I’m fine with it - it’s a small site anyway.
Thanks, that’s it. If you google image search it comes up with pictures of the wheel.

Reactions: Dan
To be honest, I think some of the rides they've removed have been removed due to unsuitability and not making financial sense any more.

Take the Big Wheel, it wasn't suitable for Drayton Manor giving the loading procedure, and sending it around for one gondola on quiet days isn't financially viable, especially being a 2-man ride. Same with things like Pirate Adventure, which were in too bad a state to repair than it was worth probably. Same for things like Chairlift which cost too much to run and wasn't really suited to the future of the park - let alone the negative press a breakdown would get the park on this, it's not really worth it.

What I'm getting at is that a ride might not be suited to Drayton Manor, or may be causing them to lose money, but used somewhere else, it may be better.

I wonder why they used the loading procedure they did, it seems a rather odd process to follow, but I am sure there is reasoning behind this!

I wonder why they used the loading procedure they did, it seems a rather odd process to follow, but I am sure there is reasoning behind this!
No I never got it. It always seemed crazy and didn’t really seem to save any time by only loading 4 gondolas. I’d be interested to know what the loading procedure and turnaround time is at its new home.

It was a ride that never really worked at Drayton in my opinion.
I quite liked it and it always seemed quite popular. It was a nice break after being forced to endure a spinning ride or accelerator 10 times In a row by a child. The chairlift was also good for this and given the location of the lark the views were pretty good.

The Chairlift was good apart from the fact that in its final season it didn't sound good at all!!!
I went on it a couple of times in the final season and can’t say I noticed. May have been rose-tinted glasses allowing me to ignore it. I still think it’s a shame it went. I still think there is a place in the family market for chair lift style rides. It would be great if they had one going across the zoo imo.

Back