Stormforce 10

Stormforce was a prototype. Issues were, are and will be expected. The mechanisms seen on the ride, such as turntables, are very different to modern equivalents for good reason. Breakdowns and issues are part and parcel of the ride, and the rate they occur at the moment is not particuarlaly a cause for concern as far as I am aware.

I guess it was a prototype. It was and I (I think) the biggest flume ride that Bear (BEstAmustmentRides) had manufactured to date. It was known as their "Grand Flume" ride model. The ride on the whole has been pretty reliable it's hole life. Bar a few issues here and there, I would not go as far to say it is unreliable though. but it does make much heavier use of transport wheels and what not that quite a lot of other flume ride types.

The turntables are quite simple mechanically speaking, just when they do go wrong they can be pain to fix. A few of the major issues the ride has had over it's life, were infrared sensors that control the block systems, getting triggered by splashes. This, alongside being out in the elements for two decades, is what led to the replacement of them all a few years back.

The second thing in the early days were boats getting stuck on the top. Boats are moved through this section by submerged transport wheels on the base of the trough. Certain loadings of boats used to mean boats would not make it between wheels, getting stuck. While a pump does pump water up to this section, most of it just sits in the trough, only enough is pumped up to supply the outflow, which goes down the drop. No where near enough flow rate to move the boats along. Pumping enough water up there to sustain a water flow, would have required some very hefty pumps, given the height. So it was possibly determined that transport wheels were the better option. A fun fact, as I said, most of the water stays in the upper trough. To empty it, there is a screw plug on the base of the trough, just before the drop. The plug is unplugged using a mechanics socket. This will then completely drain the upper trough allowing access to the transport wheels.

If you go on Storm Force 10, look up on the turnaround before the lift for the backwards drop, you can see the box shaped drops in the channel above, along with electrical wiring. This is where the transport wheels are. 10 points if you can spot the birds nest which has been made up there too! I noticed last week too, one of the transport wheel motors in the station making quite a loud noise when operating. Must be on it's way out. Luckily, these are pretty simple and quick replacements.

Double post!! But, looking through my folders, I've realised that Storm Force 10 was not the prototype of the Grand Flume ride model.

In 1998, Jones Adventure opened at Shijinshan Amusement Park, China. This was the prototype for the ride model that is Storm Force 10. Notice how the boats are almost identical. The final drop takes on the exact same profile as Storm Force 10 too.

The ride does have a backwards drop, located inside the building, but smaller than the one on Storm Force 10.

beijing_327_187.jpg
beijing_329_203.jpg
yz89cg_046.jpg
DSC00462SmoggyPark.jpg
cimg0116_164.jpg

You can see the grey structure here, which holds the second turnaround for the reverse drop.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I love stormforce 10 but sadly haven’t been on it for years now. I usually visit Drayton with my kids and neither of them have hit 1.3 yet. I don’t fancy going on it alone.

With the changes announced by Victoria Lynn on TPWW YouTube page, as of next year Storm force 10 will become Draytons highest restrictive height of 1.3.

With the changes announced by Victoria Lynn on TPWW YouTube page, as of next year Storm force 10 will become Draytons highest restrictive height of 1.3.
That’s kind of crazy to think that a water ride beats a thrill ride like Maelstrom or Shockwave in terms of height restriction.

Has anybody ever had to be evacuated off of Stormforce 10? I haven’t, but I was there on the day it happened to someone else. They had to bring in a huge crane into what is now Adventure Cove where they lifted 4-5 people out of the lift hill going up to the backwards drop.

Has anybody ever had to be evacuated off of Stormforce 10? I haven’t, but I was there on the day it happened to someone else. They had to bring in a huge crane into what is now Adventure Cove where they lifted 4-5 people out of the lift hill going up to the backwards drop.
No but I would love to be evacked of a ride

I find it highly unlikely that they craned people off the lift hill. They have safety catwalks next to the lift hills for the very reason of evacuations, in the event of a breakdown. The turntables can also be de clutched and moved into any position to make sure that they also line up properly with the catwalks. I am not saying it did not happen, but I find it extremely unlikely, it goes against so many HSE legislations too. I've seen many, many evacs on SF10 over the years, going all the way back to 1999, never once have I seen a crane involved.

It would be great if they could improve the throughput of this attraction, in the hot summer months it is very popular. The ride is capable of a higher throughput but the park choose not to due to under investing in the ride. It is a shame, as it is one of the best in the UK. Something they should look at going forward, even more so with the projected visitor increase large investment years such as 2024 will bring.

Back