The Wave - Shockwave re-theme

alfie8

It has been announced in an interview that Victoria Lynn has done with Theme Park Worldwide (
) that next year Shockwave will receive some major changes including the height restriction lowered to 1.2, a track repaint and a new theme and name for the ride. What are your thoughts on this?

In my opinion this is very sad as a 1.2 height restriction pretty much confirms the ride will become sit down unless they run 2 trains. I’m not too fussed about the re-theme or name change. I get the ride has history, but the park does have to move on eventually. I just wish that didn’t result in Shockwave being sit down.

I’m looking forward to the changes. It’s the right move for a family thrill targeted audience but it’s definitely the end of an era. I’m sure I read somewhere that the park can’t build another coaster in the area due to restrictions. If this is true then it certainly explains why the park are converting this.

It'll certainly be a shame the stand up element will be no more as this made it unique and will be quite a boring ride as sit down unless these new elements are tunnels/near misses. I'm glad they're not getting rid of it altogether though especially if the park can't build a new coaster in that area again.

There are local planning restrictions. The area would have to have a much smaller coaster and that planning permission would be required. The council gave planning permission previously not realising how close to houses it was. Similarly apocalypse would not get planning permission now. The park has permitted development for most of the park but there are height restrictions. The park is aiming at family thrill. People don't go to the manor for thrill rides. Need to ensure changes appeal to teenagers and adults going forward.

It did mention in the video that there would be a change in name and a change of theme. There will also be new elements added. I’m intrigued to see what they can do with the coaster. What type of train do you think we will see ?

It did mention in the video that there would be a change in name and a change of theme. There will also be new elements added. I’m intrigued to see what they can do with the coaster. What type of train do you think we will see ?
I'd like to see surf coaster but height restriction suggests sit down. It's the right decision for the park. Needs to be 1.2m. new events will be the theming. Like to see good theme for ride. Previous owners openly said they regretted going for standup

Think they thought they were ahead of the other parks. Never planned on nemesis or the big one opening at the same time. Personally I think it has been unique and great for the park.

Think they thought they were ahead of the other parks. Never planned on nemesis or the big one opening at the same time. Personally I think it has been unique and great for the park.
I agree. Shockwave would’ve been the biggest coaster of 1994 if it wasn’t for Nemesis and the Big One. The ride was still a success though.

Personally I think there is no harm to a marketing or a sustainability aspect in having a "big" ride. I know that for the last couple of years that its been exciting when the little lad has got big enough to go on something new. It was also a disappointment for instance when the restriction for Stormforce got upped by 10 cms.

Again for families of mixed ages its quite good for the older one to have something that is specific to them that their whiny toddler sibling can't go on, just as some of the smaller rides are realistically exclusively for little ones (Winston, Classic Cars, even Submarine Splash)

Little lad has just qualified to go on Shockwave and although we have made it through the entrance we've never actually made it onto the ride!! I am glad he managed to get a few times round apocalypse before it shut, I may have to try and see if I can sneak in a visit without him to have the shockwave stand up experience before it goes if he doesn't fancy it.

(sorry if this should be in its own thread)

Can I just risk public backlash by saying I really don't enjoy the Themepark Worldwide videos. I know lots of people do, but lots of people apparently listen to BBC local radio and these have the same tone.

I know they have to keep in the parks good books to ensure they get the access but I honestly feel the need to check my blood sugar after them as they are so sickly sweet.

I know we all go on about the new coaster (and pirates adventure and the exhibition) but couldn't he have asked about staff shortages and the amount of rides that have been shut? That I reckon would be the biggest question about returning for anyone who has visited this year.

(sorry if this should be in its own thread)

Can I just risk public backlash by saying I really don't enjoy the Themepark Worldwide videos. I know lots of people do, but lots of people apparently listen to BBC local radio and these have the same tone.

I know they have to keep in the parks good books to ensure they get the access but I honestly feel the need to check my blood sugar after them as they are so sickly sweet.

I know we all go on about the new coaster (and pirates adventure and the exhibition) but couldn't he have asked about staff shortages and the amount of rides that have been shut? That I reckon would be the biggest question about returning for anyone who has visited this year.
I honestly agree with you. I understand you want to be positive in front of the camera but sometimes it’s just too much. I think it’s also due to the fact that if he mentioned bad things about the parks, I don’t think they would really want him to go and film construction updates and on-ride POV’s which is content for him to earn money.

I honestly agree with you. I understand you want to be positive in front of the camera but sometimes it’s just too much. I think it’s also due to the fact that if he mentioned bad things about the parks, I don’t think they would really want him to go and film construction updates and on-ride POV’s which is content for him to earn money.
Also, think of it this way: you have been offered a promotion at work but you have to talk well about a client. The promotion is extra content for YouTube, and the client is the theme park.

I really don’t know why they said this. Shockwave put them on the map and was a huge success for them so why did they regret going for stand up?
Not 100% why, but the cost of the ride and interest on the loans from this and other investments crippled the park. Think they hoped it would be the best ride in the country. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do. I hope they succeed personally. The park has been successful in the last couple of years with changes and am hopeful.

Not 100% why, but the cost of the ride and interest on the loans from this and other investments crippled the park. Think they hoped it would be the best ride in the country. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do. I hope they succeed personally. The park has been successful in the last couple of years with changes and am hopeful.
I see. So what your saying is because Drayton installed such a successful ride they had to pay more money for interest and things?

Back