Excalibur: A Dragon's Tale

out by the coach car park i noticed that there was the Excalibur boats by the treesView attachment 2362
indeed i poked behind the fence last year and found some of the boats was suprised to see them just abandoned this is also where the pirate adventure boats reside!
IMG_2605.jpg
IMG_3335.jpg

I think they could be the boats that were taken out of commission as the good boats were all painted for the 2015 but it only operated for a few days of the season. Last I heard they were still in the maintenance area of the pirate adventure building.

Thanks for sharing. I was there that day in my early teens. Drayton were running an exclusive event which we were lucky enough to be part of. We had exclusive access to the ride after Atomic Kitten but before the public, for an hour or so.

I remember it raining that day. But during this event we had access to the indoor section of what was the teashop but is now a staff room. Where the medieval show was and a spread of food and drinks. It was a good day.

Thanks for sharing. I was there that day in my early teens. Drayton were running an exclusive event which we were lucky enough to be part of. We had exclusive access to the ride after Atomic Kitten but before the public, for an hour or so.

I remember it raining that day. But during this event we had access to the indoor section of what was the teashop but is now a staff room. Where the medieval show was and a spread of food and drinks. It was a good day.
It’s a shame there’s no pictures or videos of this show or the other show that was in the fish and chip restaurant.

Was it u that use to run the website UDMP?

No it was not, I was a far too young school child then. Although I did happen to be in the right place at the right time a few times on afterschool visits to the park and manage to talk my way into construction site tours of Excalibur. You could back then, being a kid sort of helped too I guess.

No it was not, I was a far too young school child then. Although I did happen to be in the right place at the right time a few times on afterschool visits to the park and manage to talk my way into construction site tours of Excalibur. You could back then, being a kid sort of helped too I guess.
I was the 2nd owner of Drayton Manor Plus after the original owner didn’t have the time with uni also. We got exclusive construction pics of Drunken Barrels, Bounty, Thomas land, 4D cinema, Hotel and Ben 10 then I had to give up on the site as didn’t have the time with work and my daughter been born in 2012.
We did lots of closed season updates.

Can anyone tell me why Excalibur actually closed? Was it just old and run down or was there a reason deeper than this? If I did ever ride it, I can't remember any of it. Me and my family only used to go to Drayton for Thomas Land so we didn't really try any of the other rides.

Something failed on the big turntable and it would have cost the owners millions to repair and it wasn’t a easy job so they decided to decommission the ride and spend the money on it becoming a indoor paid Christmas event. It was originally called the knight before Christmas. Now the looping have decided to use the building for Halloween and Christmas.

Also the ride had been suffering with issues with the audio lining up, or even playing at all, and with reliability of animatronics and effects. This had lead to low customer opinion of the ride, and probaby contributed to teh decision not to renovate it.

Also the ride had been suffering with issues with the audio lining up, or even playing at all, and with reliability of animatronics and effects. This had lead to low customer opinion of the ride, and probaby contributed to teh decision not to renovate it.
Definitely remember this.

The audio would cut out and just not play in places.

The effects, always remember there were problems with the water curtain and the dragons in the lair (poor dragon last time I was on the ride didn't move at all)

Would love a ride like Excalibur back in the park but the work required to make the area workable again would be crazy

It was also natural land if I remember right... So the ground is a bit swampy

1 of the original jungle cruise boats is still sitting round the rapids area painted Blue. They had 4 motorist boats but only ever used 3 at most at any 1 time.
The tow rope system after they sorted out the problems in the opening season worked well but been out in the open and been a maintenance headache. It was such a waste of money and hopefully in the next 5 year plan 2027 to 2032 we will see this area reused.

One Excalibur boat (Sir Lancealot) can be found in the Vikings Ragnarok scare zone this year for halloween :)

Back