Excalibur: A Dragon's Tale

1 of the boats is been used as theming in the Viking area
BECED5C7-BF66-4DEC-B84C-E9C240566612.jpeg
DDE5A32C-2A47-443A-86D1-A724D824DD58.jpeg
B5FC8F04-3AE5-4B65-B081-A3868E863297.jpeg

1 of the boats is been used as theming in the Viking area
View attachment 4948View attachment 4949View attachment 4950

You can see the remains of the old Sound system. I think there were also speakers up top with a subwoofer in a compartment at the front, accessible from the front seats.

I wonder if the IR trigger is still on the boats. They were on the right side of the front (near the name tag), so out of these photos. These picked up an infared signal from poles sticking out the water at the start of each scene, which then triggered the corresponding mp3 audio for that scene to play. If the ride didn't pick one of these signals up (such as in a breakdown) the default but themed 'please remain seated' audio played, until such a time the boat passed a trigger point again. Very clever stuff for 2003, not the most practical however.

Found a pre-visualisation animation of the ride!! It's official as well! It even holds some of the rides music.

The composition is correct for the audio, and the dialogue too. But are both rough cuts for this pre vis. The final ride had more fleshed out music and dialogue, better sounding instrument's, better recorded voices and that sort of thing. This rough cut is good enough though to give you a good idea of what the final ride was like, even though it is not exact.

The person who uploaded the video, Graham Edwards, worked for Farmer Studios.

I remember opening season and it was so immersive - even having loads theming pieces spilling out onto the main pathway from the queue line. Felt so magical, like nothing I’d seen before (8 year old me had only been to Butlins ).

I also remember later going on it in 2011 with a school trip. Water 5inches deep in the boat, no audio throughout, only animatronic working was the narrating dragon sliding across the rock work in the final scene. I was 15, and even then I remember feeling gutted that it had been left to rot in such a short space of time.

It's a ride I would like to see come back a boat ride around the lake. Jungle Cruise ran for 30 years, now its just dead space. I really feel castle of dreams should be turned back into a ride a put santa somewhere else. Maybe tge zoo.

Back