Coronavirus and Theme Parks

I am sure the park has robust measures in place regarding the Coronavirus, as I am sure this has the potential to have a very serious impact on them, and could cost them a lot of money.

Personally, I'm not sure whether Drayton Manor would come under the restrictions for large gatherings, since these seem to be focused on concerts, football matches, etc. They are all very close contact, but when x amount of people spread out into Drayton Manor, there is very little contact. I've heard that Blackpool Pleasure Beach are running rides for 40 minutes and then closing for cleaning for 20, Drayton Manor could follow a similar protocol, but have different areas cleaning at different times. I also saw that Legoland were marking the queue line floors to keep guests a safe distance apart, which is something else they could do. I know the virus lives on surfaces for 72 hours, but surely people have the decency not to visit the park should they exhibit these symptoms? Drayton Manor being mainly airborne except for Sheriff's Showdown, The Haunting, 4D Cinema and Emily's Play Area also speaks for itself?

I'm just trying to come up with ways that this could reduce the impact on the business, but I imagine there will be an effect, and if the duration of the infection in China is anything to go by (around 3 months) then that could take us to mid-June, which means that the Anniversary Celebrations could well be cancelled, although I'd like to imagine that they will be extended to an alternative date. The park don't seem to be getting a break following the flooding, etc, all of which is completely out of their hands, obviously.

It's a terrible and frightening situation for the entire world, I hope everybody stays safe.

Below is Drayton Manor's latest statement on the impact of Covid-19 on their operations. There is currently no advertised disruption to the operating schedule, however you should check here for further updates within the next 24 hours.

We can imagine what a difficult decision this is for the park to make. We wish everybody on Drayton Talk and at the Park the best and urge everybody to respect the decision made by the park regardless. Stay Safe!

Below is Drayton Manor's latest statement on the impact of Covid-19 on their operations. There is currently no advertised disruption to the operating schedule, however you should check here for further updates within the next 24 hours.

We can’t imagine what a difficult decision this is for the park to make. We wish everybody on Drayton Talk and at the Park the best and urge everybody to respect the decision made by the park regardless. Stay Safe!
I hope it won't close for ages!!!

I am seriously starting to have doubts they will. So hope to be proved wrong but they certainly won't be open over easter and this must be a crucial trading period. Staff still need paying, animals still need feeding and debt interest keeps growing.

It’s a shame that Drayton Manor (and a handful of other UK parks) have decided to close for the foreseeable future. As much as COVID-19 is a serious issue and I’m glad they’re putting staff and guests health and safety first, I have many doubts about the future of the park. The Splash Canyon incident a few years ago, the recent flooding and now the pandemic could all come as reasons to why the park could reduce their offering or the worst case scenario, closing the park for good. Whilst I hope this doesn't happen, I wouldn’t be surprised if we get a significant reduce in rides outside of Thomas Land. I also wouldn’t be shocked if one day we see a fence around Thomas Land, blocking off the rest of the park. Whilst I may be sounding negative, it’s clear to see Drayton haven’t had the best season yet, and if/ when the pandemic cases in the UK increases more, then I can’t see anything getting any better for any tourist attraction - including Drayton Manor Park.

I do hope I’m proved wrong, and the park will get back on their feet within the next few years, with substantial investment.

Given Drayton's very good relationship with it's Bank's, they will no doubt be given an extended holiday period on top of the government assistance package. Also the flooding and COVID-19 are extreme things that have happened to the business and it's not just Drayton Manor but near enough every theme park in the world. Don't write them off just yet. This year will be tough but they should be ok given the support on offer. For me it's the 2021 season that will be the hardest.

Given Drayton's very good relationship with it's Bank's, they will no doubt be given an extended holiday period on top of the government assistance package. Also the flooding and COVID-19 are extreme things that have happened to the business and it's not just Drayton Manor but near enough every theme park in the world. Don't write them off just yet. This year will be tough but they should be ok given the support on offer. For me it's the 2021 season that will be the hardest.
It's very sad yet Alton Towers are remaining open

Reactions: Dan
It's very sad yet Alton Towers are remaining open

I can't imagine Alton Towers staying open for long, the next week or so they will have to close surely.

The trouble is, they keep taking 'payment holidays'. It won't last forever

True. Although Drayton Manor before the Splash Canyon incident was a profitable business and can be again. Also with the holiday period, Drayton have still voluntarily being paying a percentage of the 'debt' and still cut the park's losses from £4million+ to £2million+ which shows the park is still viable to a degree. Sadly recent events are totally out of their control. Ultimately you are right though if in 3 years the park still isn't profitable then things will start to look very bleak indeed.

By the end of the month the uk will be on lockdown will people only been able to travel to work and to the shops. Nothing else will be open so not been nasty with 103 deaths already in the uk the last thing on people’s minds should be going to a theme park.

I must add, it can't have been an easy decision for the park to make to decide to temporarily close until further notice, especially given the impact that this will have on the staff amongst the departments, as well as takings for the business as a whole. I must add though, I believe this is a respectable decision given the alarming rate at which Covid-19 is spreading, and the impact this could have on the staff and guests at the park, it's nice to see the park putting this first, and shows that they have good morals.

Speaking of business impact on the park as a business, I imagine that the start of the season would be exceptionally quiet for the park anyway, and I imagine some of the quieter days outside of the Easter Break would be running at a loss, I remember a few days around this time last season the park began to close early when I visited. Although they are missing on the Easter trading, I feel that there could well be an outpour of support from the park given the pretty rotten luck they have had with the flooding and now Covid-19, and if they can reschedule the evidently popular 70th Anniversary that could also get visitors through the door. I definitely think there will be a lot of support from the public, given the poor luck the park has had. This time could also be used to help the park fully recover from the flood damage, and get some improvements / further maintenance in on their rides, which could well be used to their advantages.

Hopefully the park will be able to gain some sort of funding from insurance / government grants to help them out. I wish everybody at the park, and anybody else reading this the best, and I hope you all stay safe.

Back