Archives DMP

One word. Nostalgia
You bet!

"Hello, I'm known as Doctor X..."

Makes me wonder, how much more Drayton Manor related stuff like this is there online if the entire Doctor X video was uploaded nearly 15 years ago in its entirety and went right under our noses. What next, a home video of the park in its early years? Footage of Pirate Adventure on opening day??

You bet!

"Hello, I'm known as Doctor X..."

Makes me wonder, how much more Drayton Manor related stuff like this is there online if the entire Doctor X video was uploaded nearly 15 years ago in its entirety and went right under our noses. What next, a home video of the park in its early years? Footage of Pirate Adventure on opening day??
Ooo a pirates adventure opening day would be great

I posted this elsewhere on the internet last year, totally forgot I did not post it here, more content will be coming this year.

Today, we will be looking at:
Golden Nuggets Wild West Shootout.
photo-1058 (2).jpg

Opening in 2000, this ride featured as part of a quadruple investment that Drayton Manor Park made for that season. The quadruple investment consisted of an Intamin Giant Drop tower in the form of Apocalypse, Golden Nuggets, Robinsons Children's Corner and The Popeye Show.

Space Leisure (previously Goldings attraction design) created the master design and all scenery and theming for the attraction, alongside doing all the theming and scenery for Apocalypse. This company are no strangers to Drayton Manor Park, they had been commissioned for a huge bulk of Drayton Manor's themed entertainment in years gone by. Past projects included what Golden Nuggets was replacing, The Jungle Palladium. But it also included larger projects such as Pirate Adventure, Splash Canyon, Shockwave and even a revamp of their now gone Jungle Cruise attraction. Plus more!

Jungle Palladium was an animatronic show, think of it like a rip off of Disney attractions America sings and Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room. In any case, the time for this attraction was up, so in the 1999 season, a sign appeared outside the Jungle Palladium announcing what was to come. To see images of what Jungle Palladium was, see this Facebook page from Euro Theme Park Archive. The page is open to all, so you do not need to register to view the photos. I am not affiliated with those guys and their amazing work by the way. I just have a lot to show for the theme park that is quite literally up the road from me, Drayton Manor. The audio for Jungle Palladium can be listened to here if you are interested. The internal shots and the ride vehicle shots within this write up are supplied by I.E park and used with permission.

toonsign2_2499792950_o.jpg

At this time a sponsor / IP for the ride had not been secured. The attraction design does suggest this was a last minute thing, as the only reference to Nestle' Golden Nuggets was the sign on the frontage of the ride. The rest of the attraction was a generic wild west theme. What I have confirmed through speaking with people within the Bryan family (after being told by an enthusiast myself), was that Space Leisure pitched two themes for this ride to Drayton Manor Park. The first one was going to be a spooky wild west theme to tie it into another Space Leisure attraction next door, The Haunting. The second being the theme we ended up with today and clearly the theme Drayton Manor Park decided to go with in the form of a generic but cartoony wild west theme. The working title of 'Toonstone' is a relic from this spooky themed wild west attraction that was never to be, with the word itself being a play on words from the word Tombstone. With toon referring to the almost cartoony aesthetic of the scenery within.

The gun system was provided by Space Leisure, but licensed from technology in the United States. This allowed Space Leisure to integrate the shooting of targets into triggering effects throughout the attraction. Something that made the attraction truly interactive.

A few weeks after the sign above appeared, in late summer 1999, the following sign appeared signalling the closure of the attraction.

toonsign1_2499792864_o.jpg

Space Leisure recommissioned the animatronics from Jungle Palladium into two shows for the park. The first being a show in the Cedar Cantina, the chip shop that closed a while ago and was recently demolished as part of this years project. The second being inside the Lakeside Teashop, which was redressed once again to a medieval theme in 2003 once Excalibur: A Dragons Tale opened. But has since been closed for many years. Here is a few picture of the animatronics eithers, some of the photos were taken part way through the refurbishment and can be seen in workshops in the photos.

Collage Maker-10-Jun-2023-03-16-AM-3309.jpg

After the closure, the rip out was quick to start as can be seen by the assortment of junk inside what will become part of Golden Nuggets station.
toon2_2499792778_o.jpg

After a few months of construction the frontage was gone and the new one well underway. Here we can see all three things mentioned in the previous photo. The queue line is to the left inside the new part of the frontage building (with the outdoor being the whole front of the building. The two doors are for the ride vehicles, the smaller one being into the maintenance shed and the large one is where the vehicles transition from the station into the first scene of the ride. Which as mentioned before, is housed in the the new section of the frontage, that can be seen built out of concrete bricks.
toon4_2499792238_o.jpg

The large doorway seen above, many months later, nearing the end of construction, this is the first door the vehicles go through when exiting the station into the ride, the smaller doorway (seen above) is the maintenance door which is tall enough just to fit the ride vehicles through only.
photo-11068.jpg

While all this was going on, I.E park were testing the ride vehicles over in Italy. This track here, is actual track from the ride, the layout is identical and is still in the actual ride today. This part of the layout is just past the midway point of the ride, just after you pass the large saloon on your right and just before you do the turnaround back towards the station side of the building.
Immagine-018-1707x1280.jpg

A few months later, the exterior had come on quite a bit, and resembled something recognisable today.
toon6_2498964499_o.jpg

While all that was going on, I.E park were busy preparing to ship the vehicle's and track to Drayton Manor Park. Here is one of the vehicle's at I.E parks factory in Italy, almost ready for shipping.
DSC06676.jpg

This next section we will take a part tour of the attraction, when it was nearing completion, all photos are in the order as the scenes appear in the attraction.

This is the first scene of Golden Nuggets, everything in this photo is completely housed within the concrete brick section in the external shot as mentioned in the post above. This is the view you are still met with to this day when entering the ride from the station through the doors shown above.
photo-4061.jpg

This next photo is the final part of the first scene. All contained within the 'new' part of the frontage. This is right before the ride opens up into one large scene, through doorways seen in the next photo after this one. The door way marks the transition from the new concrete block section of the ride as seen in the external photo above, to the green warehouse left over from and what used to house the main Jungle Palladium attraction. Also seen in the photos above.
photo-12069.jpg

Moving on inside the ride, the above photo is taken immediately behind where the Space Leisure scenic workers are standing in this photo below. This is looking back towards the start of the ride. A view not usually seen by riders of the attraction.
DMP-CAR-2.jpg

Turn to your right 90 degrees from the photo above, you will be met with this image below. Notice all the work tools as final touches are put into place on the attraction. The track layout shown in the post above, is from the far right of this photo, in the very corner of the ride.
photo-7064.jpg

Turning right once again by 90 degrees, you are facing the direction the cars travel and you will be met with this image below, still looking very similar today.
photo-3060.jpg

Last edited:
Golden Nuggets Wild West Shootout - Part 2
Next you have the saloon, complete with scenic painters putting final touches on the ride.
photo-10067.jpg

Another shot of the saloon, the track in the first post, is immediately to the left of this photo.
photo-6063.jpg

Here we have the main control panel for the ride, not much has changed today, it is a very basic affair.
photo-8065 (1).jpg

The main front of the ride awaits Peter and Pardner to be installed.
toon7.jpg

There we go,
toon8a.jpg

The outside is now nearing completion.
toon8_2499791548_o.jpg

A short time later....
toon9.jpg

I am not sure if I mentioned above, but the main showbuilding the ride is in, is the original from Jungle Palladium, when they converted the attraction into Golden Nuggets, just the front was demolished and re built. The main, green building is the same to this very day. The frontage that was re built, consists of the indoor queue line, very first scene and the station areas.

I hope you have enjoyed these and enjoyed this bit of history. Where will be going next on this whistle stop construction tour of Drayton Manor? We will see!

Last edited:
Golden Nuggets Wild West Shootout - Part 2
Next you have the saloon, complete with scenic painters putting final touches on the ride.
View attachment 5399
Another shot of the saloon, the track in the first post, is immediately to the left of this photo.
View attachment 5400

Here we have the main control panel for the ride, not much has changed today, it is a very basic affair.
View attachment 5401

The main front of the ride awaits Peter and Pardner to be installed.
View attachment 5405

There we go,
View attachment 5403

The outside is now nearing completion.
View attachment 5402

A short time later....
View attachment 5407

I am not sure if I mentioned above, but the main showbuilding the ride is in, is the original from Jungle Palladium, when they converted the attraction into Golden Nuggets, just the front was demolished and re built. The main, green building is the same to this very day. The frontage that was re built, consists of the indoor queue line, very first scene and the station areas.

I hope you have enjoyed these and enjoyed this bit of history. Where will be going next on this whistle stop construction tour of Drayton Manor? We will see!
love these posts they do really give an insight into history of the park and how much work went into the attractions back then, would love to see one on haunting if you have any photos of it I've been trying to track some down for a few years emailing various people the park, space leisure etc. very hard to find very obscure ride not even any press photos of it apart from the one in the drayton manor book!.

love these posts they do really give an insight into history of the park and how much work went into the attractions back then, would love to see one on haunting if you have any photos of it I've been trying to track some down for a few years emailing various people the park, space leisure etc. very hard to find very obscure ride not even any press photos of it apart from the one in the drayton manor book!.

Unfortunately, that is a ride I do not have photos of.

been looking in old photo albums lately and i have stumbled across a few PA photos that we took back in the day i think they are from 2011-2014 somewhere in that timeframe not the greatest photos in the world but at least i have some
IMG_2665.jpeg
IMG_2666.jpeg
IMG_2667.jpeg
IMG_2668.jpeg

Northing on any particular ride but here's load of old pictures. Here's the construction of apocalypse
Screenshot_20240203_212133_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240203_212149_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240203_212153_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240203_212208_Chrome.jpg

And here's the construction view from the haunting
Screenshot_20240203_212158_Chrome.jpg
the next thing is some rare (I think) pictures of the jungle Cruise being destroyed for Excalibur
Screenshot_20240203_212215_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240203_212222_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240203_212226_Chrome.jpg
and the last one is the ghost train before PA was built
Screenshot_20240203_212232_Chrome.jpg

been looking in old photo albums lately and i have stumbled across a few PA photos that we took back in the day i think they are from 2011-2014 somewhere in that timeframe not the greatest photos in the world but at least i have someView attachment 5509View attachment 5510View attachment 5511View attachment 5512

That bridge in the first photo, we occasionally used to sit up there and eat our lunch while on our break, all the way back in 2005. Completely unbeknown to the riders passing below.

James no5 those pictures, looking by the bit rate, were all ripped from the old UMDPS (wasn't my site by the way). I did rip a load a few years ago and posted them on TST. But then I found the original, much higher quality photos for most of those on an old hard drive. Some I've posted earlier in this thread. Others will be coming soon. Trying to find all the high quality Excalibur construction photos right now. May have to use lower quality ones though.

Nice to see the Jungle Cruise any time though. Personally I found it more enjoyable than Excalibur. I don't know, I think it's more exciting going into a jungle than a medieval village. Others may differ, that's my preference though. Those pictures you've specficially posted of Jungle Cruise were taken in late 2001, literally a few days before demolition started. You can see the half elephant in one of the photos, thats not demoltion thats because the elephant was designed to look like it was bathing, therefor only half of the elphant needed building. By the time the 2002 season had started, the vast majority of all that was completely removed and the concrete base for Excaliburs turntable was in place. The elephants made their way into the rainforest pizza show and infront of the outside seating area infront of the building. What is now very tall foliage around the seating area used to be a small pond and waterfall, with some of the old Jungle Cruise elephants in too, not sure where they went to as the internal animals haven't changed.

I think I may do a piece on Excalibur soon as I've got a fair few photos of the ride during construction from start to finish, including many close up's of props from behind the scenes.

Last edited:
I was searching through the Drayton Manor website on the Wayback Machine, and I discovered some interesting pieces of media. I'm not going to post everything I found since there is so much content, but I'll post them at a later date, or you can take a look for yourself, which I seriously recommend if you're interested in Drayton's history because it is a massive gold mine. Anyways, here's my findings.

Concept art for Maelstrom.
Maelstrom-big.jpg

Off-ride photos of Apocalypse.
apocoutside.jpg
apoclift.jpg
apocriders.jpg

I was searching through the Drayton Manor website on the Wayback Machine, and I discovered some interesting pieces of media. I'm not going to post everything I found since there is so much content, but I'll post them at a later date, or you can take a look for yourself, which I seriously recommend if you're interested in Drayton's history because it is a massive gold mine. Anyways, here's my findings.

Concept art for Maelstrom.
View attachment 5659
Off-ride photos of Apocalypse.
View attachment 5664View attachment 5665View attachment 5666
I would’ve never thought to use Drayton’s website in the Wayback Machine, some interesting finds! Thanks for sharing.

It’s crazy how much stuff like this was shown off years ago and now we would be lucky to even get a single concept photo of most new rides at the park... and for it to be displayed publicly on their website to!

You could always add a single photo for every frame of the video :ROFLMAO:
Please don't :) Too many photo files will also upset the site I think...
I'm actually considering doing that. And hopefully that aren't going to be issues with the rights.
I could grab them and upload them to the DT YouTube as we have a selection of historical park content over there already if thats helpful at all ? (would also be nice to add to the channel as I have been meaning to get that going again)

Rights wouldn't really be an issue as long as you aren't passing them off as your own / profiting off it :)

Back