Pirate Adventure

Recently found some old pictures I took of Pirate Adventure from a bit of a while back. Probably around 2006 or 2007. With a decent camera too!
I took this one just before the ride opened first thing in the morning.
There's something I've always found so menacing about those huge prison doors!
1572191992338.png

I also got one of the old Pirate Adventure sign. This was added around 1996 when the queue was upgraded by Farmer Studios and the parrots added.
1572192011377.png

Speaking of which, I also managed to get one of Peg Leg Polly. I think this is probably the best quality picture you can find of her!
1572192087197.png

1572192301341.png

From later on, after a lighting upgrade.
1572192339189.png

The exit doors were still open today and the roller shutter door was partly open. I do feel this is where the 2020
Attraction is going as it’s the only part of the park been worked on.
I noticed they haven’t yet removed the equipment for moving the boats in and out of the building.

Reactions: Dan
As much as I enjoy your speculation, you are very much wrong. Can’t say how I know, but I do. All will become clear soon

Last closed season members of the ride teams were given extra work into the closed season to rip out parts of the ride and the timber inside. I know this because family members were part of the team. Considering most of the rides scenery was made out of timber I would assume that would be a pretty substantial amount of the attraction.

It was deemed that the ride sitting there doing nothing with lots of extremely combustible materials inside was a huge fire risk, so they were left with little choice. This decision was made not long after the similar type of Pirate Ride in Europa Park burnt to the ground in a hugely massive blaze very quickly a year or so ago. Given the rides central location if it were to burn it would damage alot of other attractions and areas.

I would love to and hope I am wrong. But I've heard the same information from multiple people including family, carpenters at the park whom I deal with daily due to work (I dont work for DMP though) and other people within Drayton. The latest I heard was that the internals of the ride pretty much consists of the concrete work that marked out the lakes inside the building and it is an empty shell.

I would however love it if they were ripping out the rotten pieces of scenery and preparing to properly revamp the ride. I hope as much as anyone that, that is the case. It goes without saying I really hope I am wrong.

Last edited:
Last closed season members of the ride teams were given extra work into the closed season to rip out parts of the ride and the timber inside. I know this because family members were part of the team. Considering most of the rides scenery was made out of timber I would assume that would be a pretty substantial amount of the attraction.

It was deemed that the ride sitting there doing nothing with lots of extremely combustible materials inside was a huge fire risk, so they were left with little choice. This decision was made not long after the similar type of Pirate Ride in Europa Park burnt to the ground in a hugely massive blaze very quickly a year or so ago. Given the rides central location if it were to burn it would damage alot of other attractions and areas.

I would love to and hope I am wrong. But I've heard the same information from multiple people including family, carpenters at the park whom I deal with daily due to work (I dont work for DMP though) and other people within Drayton. The latest I heard was that the internals of the ride pretty much consists of the concrete work that marked out the lakes inside the building and it is an empty shell.

I would however love it if they were ripping out the rotten pieces of scenery and preparing to properly revamp the ride. I hope as much as anyone that, that is the case. It goes without saying I really hope I am wrong.
Again parts of your story are not quite accurate. Like I said previously, all will become clear.

Well I have been inside the building this morning. Hope all becomes clear soon because there is quite a lot of nothing in that building at the moment, quite a lot of nothing going on too.

Well I have been inside the building this morning. Hope all becomes clear soon because there is quite a lot of nothing in that building at the moment, quite a lot of nothing going on too.
Which parts of the building are empty? Queline or ride or all?

A lot of the items from the ride are featuring at the upcoming auction, perhaps this means we will learn more about the fate of the building soon.
I would love to see a new dark ride take its place with either the same or a different theme.
Perhaps something else equally nautical?

Thanks. I’d completely missed this. Looks like it’s mostly pirate adventure. I’m gutted I can’t go as I would love to own a piece of it, although probably best in someways as there’s so many times I’d want!

Also gutted that the ride is no more, looking through those lots it’s quite sad. I have many great memories of the ride, and even though I’ve ridden pirates of the Caribbean at Disney which is vastly superior in every way, I still preferred pirate adventure, just because it was so different to ever other ride we have in the uk.

Looking at the pictures from the Auction Catalogue, it's clear that the ride has been dismantled, you can see the metal from the trough in the background of some images, and the concrete verges that the scenery once sat on. I think any chance of Pirate Adventure setting sail again have well and truly sunk...

Regarding animatronics, you can see a couple of them in the background of the images, the one who opened the treasure chest on the left of the entrance to the first set of caves, for example, you can also see the skeletons in the background. There is a notable lack of animatronics, perhaps they aren't in a good condition to sell?

Well after going through them images of the catalouge ,I've got mixed emotions about it. Sad its all being auctioned off but excited to see that they are finally doing something with the place.

Back