Coronavirus and Theme Parks

Shanghai disneyland has reopened today - Parks around the world will most likely be watching them to see how their procedures work.

I'm a little worried for the attraction industry this year - not only themeparks but our seaside resorts and other places too

Shanghai disneyland has reopened today - Parks around the world will most likely be watching them to see how their procedures work.

I'm a little worried for the attraction industry this year - not only themeparks but our seaside resorts and other places too
Me too, I seriously struggle to see how some businesses, even with government support will survive. A lot of hotels, restaurants and theme parks do most of their business in the summer months from both domestic and foreign tourists. Given travel (even domestically) is going to be severely restricted for the foreseeable, I can't see how they will be able to continue. Also given the impending economic disaster that is approaching, people will be less inclined to spend money.

As we don’t know when the park could fully reopen again.

The haunting may not reopen to social distancing is totally relaxed.

Apocalypse stand up/floor less is another ride that may not reopen.

Pirate ship may load every other row but family members only

Train main park only have select rows available.

Carousel miss out the middle horse on each row

Maelstrom load every 3 or 4 seat

Stormforce 10 only load the front and either the 3rd or 4th row

Air Race Front or back row only on each plane

Shockwave Only load end seats of each row

Buffalo only load every other row

Bumper cars closed unsafe

Jolly Buccaneer every other boat

4D cinema open but no pre show and you collect your own glasses select seats only

Drunken barrels open but only select barrels in use.

Shootout open but with just social distancing in place in queue line

Flying Dutchman in own boat unless own household

Pandemonium only rows facing forward will be used and only end seats if you don’t live in same household

Accelerator only use every other row. Maybe use the disabled queue line instead

As we don’t know when the park could fully reopen again.

The haunting may not reopen to social distancing is totally relaxed.

Apocalypse stand up/floor less is another ride that may not reopen.

Pirate ship may load every other row but family members only

Train main park only have select rows available.

Carousel miss out the middle horse on each row

Maelstrom load every 3 or 4 seat

Stormforce 10 only load the front and either the 3rd or 4th row

Air Race Front or back row only on each plane

Shockwave Only load end seats of each row

Buffalo only load every other row

Bumper cars closed unsafe

Jolly Buccaneer every other boat

4D cinema open but no pre show and you collect your own glasses select seats only

Drunken barrels open but only select barrels in use.

Shootout open but with just social distancing in place in queue line

Flying Dutchman in own boat unless own household

Pandemonium only rows facing forward will be used and only end seats if you don’t live in same household

Accelerator only use every other row. Maybe use the disabled queue line instead
Why would Stand-up floorless not open? Also that's not many rides closed tbh. Only the Haunting and Dodgems. For showdown we'd have to see those social distancing mats Shanghai Disneyland have!

I think causes the seats aint 2 meters a part it will be pointless sending just 1 person up at a time or there’s no same households in the queue. I do think it will be just families only in the park as if you let groups of teens in and there all standing next to each other talking can you see Drayton staff asking them all to social distance.

I'm still not convinced by the thought of limiting the types of visitors into the park... The parks will need to bring as much money back as possible once it is safe to reopen so will most likely not put an age / person type limit onto booking.

I still have my concerns about families with children who don't quite grasp the social distancing concept but I guess with every age group there will be someone who doesn't follow social distancing.

Boardwalk and Disney Springs at Universal Studios / Disney World are reopening soon with the following requirements:
- Everyone must wear a mask when at the site
- Must pass a temperature check
- Sanitizer must be used
- Plastic screens between visitor and cashier.

America is moving too fast to reopen I think....

Some local things have started to reopen with distancing too i.e golf course and fishing pond however I don't think main attractions / themeparks will make a move for another month or two yet.

I'm still not convinced by the thought of limiting the types of visitors into the park... The parks will need to bring as much money back as possible once it is safe to reopen so will most likely not put an age / person type limit onto booking.

I still have my concerns about families with children who don't quite grasp the social distancing concept but I guess with every age group there will be someone who doesn't follow social distancing.

Boardwalk and Disney Springs at Universal Studios / Disney World are reopening soon with the following requirements:
- Everyone must wear a mask when at the site
- Must pass a temperature check
- Sanitizer must be used
- Plastic screens between visitor and cashier.

America is moving too fast to reopen I think....

Some local things have started to reopen with distancing too i.e golf course and fishing pond however I don't think main attractions / themeparks will make a move for another month or two yet.
It was announced today that 10 main European Theme Parks will reopen. These include:
. Efteling Theme Park- Baron 1898, Joris en de Draak and Symbolica
. Walibi Holland- Untamed, Goliath, Lost Gravity and Condor
. Toverland- Fenix
. Europa Park- WODAN and Blue Fire
. Tivoli Gardens
. Kolmarden- Wildfire

It was announced today that 10 main European Theme Parks will reopen. These include:
. Efteling Theme Park- Baron 1898, Joris en de Draak and Symbolica
. Walibi Holland- Untamed, Goliath, Lost Gravity and Condor
. Toverland- Fenix
. Europa Park- WODAN and Blue Fire
. Tivoli Gardens
. Kolmarden- Wildfire

Will see what happens with their rules and i'm guessing the uk parks will be doing so too.

Will see what happens with their rules and i'm guessing the uk parks will be doing so too.
There's talk of virtual queues where you download an app that has the ride and queues. You press 'Join' and it will tell you how long you have to wait before you make your way to the ride. The flaw I can see with this is definitely disabled riders as this will not be the norm for them so maybe they'll give priority to disabled guests first then. the other guests!?

The main issue I can see is the enforcement of everything.
No matter what restriction you have in place, there will be someone who won't follow it and will argue back on the rules in place.

The main issue I can see is the enforcement of everything.
No matter what restriction you have in place, there will be someone who won't follow it and will argue back on the rules in place.
I think this is going to be an issue for everywhere. Humans are generally sociable creatures and whether it’s by choice or by accident people will begin to drift closer to each other as they feel safer.

I don’t see how long social distancing on any level can last realistically, some people will stick to it rigorously for the foreseeable but I think a lot will just fall into old habits unconsciously.

I imagine theme parks and attractions will open with restrictions but I imagine it will be human behaviour that ends up removing them as they become unworkable.

There is also the financial aspect of it, some businesses/attractions will find they are operating at a loss due to the limited number of guests they can accommodate which will either lead to a rejection of the rules or higher prices which will likely in turn lead to the same as people will be conscious of money.

I don’t know what the answer is but in my opinion i think any new rules put in place will be relatively short lived.

This isn’t an anti lockdown post btw, just my thoughts on what can be workable.

I think this is going to be an issue for everywhere. Humans are generally sociable creatures and whether it’s by choice or by accident people will begin to drift closer to each other as they feel safer.

I don’t see how long social distancing on any level can last realistically, some people will stick to it rigorously for the foreseeable but I think a lot will just fall into old habits unconsciously.

I imagine theme parks and attractions will open with restrictions but I imagine it will be human behaviour that ends up removing them as they become unworkable.

There is also the financial aspect of it, some businesses/attractions will find they are operating at a loss due to the limited number of guests they can accommodate which will either lead to a rejection of the rules or higher prices which will likely in turn lead to the same as people will be conscious of money.

I don’t know what the answer is but in my opinion i think any new rules put in place will be relatively short lived.

This isn’t an anti lockdown post btw, just my thoughts on what can be workable.

I agree entirely :)

--

Merlin have released an action plan of restrictions and changes for their social distancing in the parks today.
They have no plan to reopen and look to be working with the idea of distancing in queuelines similar to what Shanghai disney has been doing.

I personally don't know if I will make the trip to a themepark under social distancing, I might wait until things are more relaxed as I'm unsure if it would still be as enjoyable as it is on a normal trip. (However I want to go and support the parks too...)

I think parks are more worried if someone brings the virus into the park and it spreads to other guests or staff which may result in some more deaths and if social media and the press find out it was due to lack of PPE or social distancing it could spell the end of Drayton Manor as they will be fined and guests wouldn’t trust them. They will also be forced to closedown for 14 days and the whole park deep cleaned with maybe a HSE inspection before reopening.

Out of interest, if the parks reopen with strict social distancing - would you be planning to go?

I want to make a trip to support the parks but my mother, for example, thinks the opposite. She would not want to pay to go to a park to not be able to enjoy the day without worrying about all the guidelines in place.

Out of interest, if the parks reopen with strict social distancing - would you be planning to go?

I want to make a trip to support the parks but my mother, for example, thinks the opposite. She would not want to pay to go to a park to not be able to enjoy the day without worrying about all the guidelines in place.
Yes, I would to support the parks. It may be social distanced but if we all stick to the rules, it'll hopefully work. I haven't been any theme parks so far this year because I was waiting for Drayton opening day. I wish I went to Blackpool Wow Weekends now!

Back