Coronavirus and Theme Parks

View attachment 1989Cant see that happening on the buffalo, Troublesome trucks and Accelerator but they could do it on Shockwave but can’t see it open as been a enclosured station and queueline it will be hard to keep 2m

I can imagine it being difficult to introduce in general due to the public too.
There is still problems with social distancing in supermarkets...

In a themepark, people don't want to ride apart.

Well with minimum height to ride with a over 16 year been been 1m with you been 1.2m tall to ride alone so how that gonna work now unless they just open with households.

Screenshot 2020-04-27 at 13.17.55.png

Holovis have announced a free social distancing Theme Park App. It looks as though people can request a ride at a certain time, this then evens the flow of people throughout the park and stops queues that are impossible to separate on rides. Very good that it's offered for free too.

Obviously this is something that Drayton Manor could adopt, but unlike Merlin parks, they don't have the tablets on their rides to update queue times and thus monitor requests. What I am also thinking is that rides in confined or covered spaces will be more difficult to deal with, that definitely wipes out Sheriff's Showdown, The Haunting, Apocalypse, 4D Cinema, Accelerator (unless queueing was done through the exit), Shockwave, Air Race (unless queueing was done through the exit), Stormforce 10, Dodgems and more.

Rides like Pandemonium don't suit well because of the rows facing one another, as well as Drunken Barrels being semi-enclosed and relying on touching a metal surface.

View attachment 1989Cant see that happening on the buffalo, Troublesome trucks and Accelerator but they could do it on Shockwave but can’t see it open as been a enclosured station and queueline it will be hard to keep 2m
I think it's likely that when the UK theme parks reopen, there will be significant capping of numbers to start off with and eventually, the numbers will go up again. They might reduce prices as well but I doubt it if they want to recover fully! There would have to probably be a rule about wearing gloves as well or certain cleanups so that the germ spread can be reduced. The number of deaths and cases are certainty going down though![/QUOTE]

Reactions: Dan
I think it's likely that when the UK theme parks reopen, there will be significant capping of numbers to start off with and eventually, the numbers will go up again. They might reduce prices as well but I doubt it if they want to recover fully! There would have to probably be a rule about wearing gloves as well or certain cleanups so that the germ spread can be reduced. The number of deaths and cases are certainty going down though!
[/QUOTE]
How will it work will season and annual pass holders?

No I think you're right, Drayton's coasters are a lot more compact too which won't help matters. I guess they could possibly fill every other car, and keep each car per family group? It would probably have the same 50% load over all.

[/QUOTE]
I imagine they would cap the number of day tickets rather than season pass entries, they do this in the summer and for events, I imagine on a given day they can roughly estimate how many pass holders will show up, and when it does re-open I imagine those numbers will be down.

Reactions: Dan
Well with minimum height to ride with a over 16 year been been 1m with you been 1.2m tall to ride alone so how that gonna work now unless they just open with households.

Depends how we class riding alone. Is it riding alone if you are accompanied but the person who you are with is in a seat behind you / apart?

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps booking online but with a code which negates the ticket cost

With Primary kids rumoured to be going back to school on the 1st June that could mean Theme parks could be reopened just for families with primary kids children up to the age of 11.

The only issue I see here is that children are very hard to control when it comes to social distancing - the amount of children breaking the rule in supermarkets and out and about is pretty scary. I know they are children but there is always that risk :(

Opening just to families with children up to the age of 11 is a bit dissapointing for myself and a lot of us here I'm guessing. 23 with no kids but perfectly capable of following social distancing (haven't been out since March :( ) Would like to be at a park when its safe to do so (and not have to 'borrow' a child haha ) I reckon it will be a prebook online with a set number of tickets as they wouldn't be able to function with not letting people in due to who they have brought with them.

The only issue I see here is that children are very hard to control when it comes to social distancing - the amount of children breaking the rule in supermarkets and out and about is pretty scary. I know they are children but there is always that risk :(

Opening just to families with children up to the age of 11 is a bit dissapointing for myself and a lot of us here I'm guessing. 23 with no kids but perfectly capable of following social distancing (haven't been out since March :( ) Would like to be at a park when its safe to do so (and not have to 'borrow' a child haha ) I reckon it will be a prebook online with a set number of tickets as they wouldn't be able to function with not letting people in due to who they have brought with them.
Prebooking would make sense, I suspect initially it wouldn't be difficult to get tickets if they did this as there would be a lot of people who would not want to attend anyway, especially given the experience is likely to be somewhat different with social distancing in place (longer queues, and potentially some attractions shut).

I do wonder if parks will open at all this year given there will likely be reduced visitors and costs associated with keeping everyone safe. I just wonder if the costs outweigh the benefits of re-opening anytime soon. Just thoughts on my part though.

Prebooking would make sense, I suspect initially it wouldn't be difficult to get tickets if they did this as there would be a lot of people who would not want to attend anyway, especially given the experience is likely to be somewhat different with social distancing in place (longer queues, and potentially some attractions shut).

I do wonder if parks will open at all this year given there will likely be reduced visitors and costs associated with keeping everyone safe. I just wonder if the costs outweigh the benefits of re-opening anytime soon. Just thoughts on my part though.
They're saying in the governments 3 phase plan that first it's small shops. Then it's shopping centres and finally it's entertainment and leisure. So maybe theme parks might get September, October, November but it all depends if a second wave happens!

Well if it’s only reception, Year 1 and Year maybe going back on the 1st June I doubt years 2,3,4,5 will be back to September. My sister will have the biggest problem as only 1 of her 4 kids can go back but as my BIL works she would have to take all 4 kids into school to drop them off. Then you got the 6 weeks holiday where UK tourism make there most money if they can’t even open up with limited numbers they may as well write off the main season and look to open for the Christmas event. Which will mean the park will nearly go a whole year without no income. As they only managed to open for a week the Feb half term event before the floor and then the Thomas and friends weekends for 5 days only.

Back