2024 February Half Term - Dinosaur Breakout

We are returning back to park on Sunday, I’d be interested to know what was your one memorable take away from the event ? Ours was one little man got to hold the fish in the Dino training and faced down with echo.
I got to meet a baby triceratops <3 The dino babies are the cutest little things ever!

Not seen the babies this year but really missing the T rex they had last year that was massive
5566C736-5690-450B-993E-D8244231E2DA.jpeg
8C73F668-1C3B-4CBA-8E4D-9C0CD0248B6A.jpeg
2C7DB3D4-81AA-41EF-8C9C-F00BB4213BAB.jpeg
459EBE44-AD98-4A99-B709-818FBAAB8E94.jpeg
11731C5D-AFF3-46E5-AB16-CF66311E6D9B.jpeg
6DC0C8F9-1608-43E3-B162-A3A41310F462.jpeg
0C0A1451-9112-426D-970D-A29A12A81CFE.jpeg

Was very surprised at the Raptor training as was waiting for Echo to come out but it was Loki and Echo was in the dance off instead.

I must have been stood about 4 yards behind you on those photos of the Dino Disco!

Vicky called me in on entrance to tell me (we've must have seen the show a dozen times over the two years) that Echo had broken hence the sudden change to Loki and the amending of the script. It was Echo at the 11am showing but had swtiched by 1pm.

I must have been stood about 4 yards behind you on those photos of the Dino Disco!

Vicky called me in on entrance to tell me (we've must have seen the show a dozen times over the two years) that Echo had broken hence the sudden change to Loki and the amending of the script. It was Echo at the 11am showing but had swtiched by 1pm.
Maybe echo was sleeping haha. Echo was very tired during the morning.

Attachments

• 39A8609C-E2C5-4933-9A1D-02F2248B5C15.png
    39A8609C-E2C5-4933-9A1D-02F2248B5C15.png
    9.3 MB · Views: 36
Does anyone else think this event has had a really poor food offering?

No fish & chips and no Safari pizza (I was hoping for pizza on Saturday )

Does anyone else think this event has had a really poor food offering?

No fish & chips and no Safari pizza (I was hoping for pizza on Saturday )
We thought the same . You can usually count on Safari pizza always being open so it was a shock on Saturday when this wasn’t the case. On a positive note at least sodor airport are offering slightly more variety as they have started doing pasta with either a plain , cheese, tomato or bolognaise option.

We thought the same . You can usually count on Safari pizza always being open so it was a shock on Saturday when this wasn’t the case. On a positive note at least sodor airport are offering slightly more variety as they have started doing pasta with either a plain , cheese, tomato or bolognaise option.
Safari pizza would have been ideal as they were using that side for a meet and greet too (and good spot with the theater in use too...)

Oooh that sounds good! I don't go in there as I don't spend much time in ThomasLand but may have to try that as that sounds nice!

It’s all down to costs again like a event that’s only on for 6 hours and 90% of the rides is open in Thomas land for the event I don’t think they would have had enough people wanting a hot meal like I noticed the tables under cover in the burger kitchen were used for guests having a picnic. We put food in the slow cooker before we went out and I had a late breakfast so only the kids had the sandwich deal with me and Zoe having a hot drink and she had a cookie.

I imagine Safari pizza requires a decent number of customers. They will have looked at past events and they will only do these events if viable financially. It is predominantly a thomasland event and so with Mrs Kyndley (normally have Chicago Town Pizza), Burger Kitchen and Sodor open, they probably couldn't justify opening Safari. I would have loved a pizza there on sunday but looking at the numbers on site, it was fairly quiet to justify opening four food options, so opening five would have been excessive from a financial point of view given the staffing and overhead costs. I suspect a lot of people there were passholders so reliant on food and shop sales to make money.

This is a true point - Just feels odd to have such a small amount open without a warning or something.
Personally, I would have had a note on the website to say which food offerings were available for the event too - keep it nice and informative.

I agree, it is on the map they give you, but if you plan on something, which I normally do then you will be disappointed when arriving and not open. I was tipped off that Safari was closed as I have a reputation for going there otherwise would have been disappointed.

I think there is a case here of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.

More offerings, lower queues, greater chance of getting seating, more choice, more likelhood of return visits and more happy customers telling other folks how good a day they have had.

With the mark up just how many pizzas do you have to sell during the course of the day to break even? Also it gives more staff the opportunity to earn more and also more staff to train and experience things on a quiet day before high season.

Also closed buildings and offerings are really grim. The overall impression they create is that you are getting a second class offering.

Similarly if you promise kids a pizza before they go as a special treat then you want to be able to deliver as a parent. You certainly don't want to be then spending top dollar on something which is a disappointment.

Whilst I agree with you, there will be a number of factors, each outlet will need minimum number of staff and the cost of utilities for heating and running the kitchens of each venue would make it unviable. It is noticeable that sleepnir did not run this year. There must be a reason and personally think it was a mistake closing the safari restaurant. I would have thought operating safari would have been better than Mrs Kyndleys. There were a lot of people walking up to safari on sunday. But given that fun foods was fairly quiet bar a few small queues. I think I can see why. I'm sure they have their reasons why but ultimately we hope that they review for future partly open park events.

Depends what you mean by unviable though.

Yes you want something to be able to "wash its face" or to drop big dollops of cash into the profit column, but there are a lot of other variables than that.

If you actually put the costs of opening safari pizza and pasta yesterday down as a staff training event then you get a whole different perspective. New staff working there will actually be much better placed to deal with summer holiday and bank holiday crowds as a result of being inducted over the past week.

The poor lady who was seemingly running Mrs Kyndleys on her own was doing an amazing job, but you could see the pressure she was under. The impact of her leaving would be significant to the park. Folks leave because they feel undervalued - thats not just about pay - and the points made repeatedly by Themeparksandy seem to suggest that this is increasingly the case.

Guests feel the same too. Being made to queue an extended period of time to get an overpriced offering tends to lead a bad taste...and thats not what you want from a catering outlet!!

The costs of losing staff and the costs of a poor guest experience are more than that costs of seeing that your rides and outlets are open.

One of my main issues is the fact they are using the Vikings entrance but Vikings is closed. I don't think its a good first impression when you have to walk through a whole area of closed/stripped down rides before actually reaching anything open. They should be using the main entrance if they are going to keep Vikings closed.

One of my main issues is the fact they are using the Vikings entrance but Vikings is closed. I don't think its a good first impression when you have to walk through a whole area of closed/stripped down rides before actually reaching anything open. They should be using the main entrance if they are going to keep Vikings closed.
Its a good point and especially as the main entrance gives a great view of the "new" Terrance.

Would make a lot more sense for Vikings to be open during the event, even if it was only a select offering (probably Thor, Slepnijqewjiqiejw and Loki). And if for some reason the park really didn't want to open the area, at least just have guests use the main entrance as like RustyShackleford said, it would give a good view of Terrance.

Whilst I agree with you, there will be a number of factors, each outlet will need minimum number of staff and the cost of utilities for heating and running the kitchens of each venue would make it unviable. It is noticeable that sleepnir did not run this year. There must be a reason and personally think it was a mistake closing the safari restaurant. I would have thought operating safari would have been better than Mrs Kyndleys. There were a lot of people walking up to safari on sunday. But given that fun foods was fairly quiet bar a few small queues. I think I can see why. I'm sure they have their reasons why but ultimately we hope that they review for future partly open park events.
Considering Looping earn over 200 million a year in revenue, I don't think it necessarily matters whether they break even on the cost of utilities and paying staff. As RustyShackleford said (sorry for a double tag), considering people usually moan about queues for things, on a quiet day it would make it enjoyable to get some quick food in a far less busy restaurant and overall provide a better guest experience and day out.

Whilst they may take over 200 million as a group, each park is stand alone and whilst DMR has 30 million profit, its not a profitable as WMSP, so they will want to invest across the board. They will be looking at the risks associated with DMR. I actually agree with your point, but I can't see them changing this or other events based on the lower number attending. I wish they would open more rides up for these events as Paultons do, but the visitor numbers probably don't justify it. The christmas event used to have more attractions including the dodgems before it became an ice rink. It will be to determine whether the event makes money. If it doesn't then they will stop opening. Its like they used to open every day from the beginning of april to the end of april when you paid a nominal admission charge and bought ride tickets or wristbands but now shut in the week out of season. All parks are expected to provide a return on investment and they are investing heavily in DMR. I would rather go safari restaurant than the burger kitchen. A less busy restaurant is good for us as the consumer rather a busy one. Personally think safari is the best theme park food in the country and some of the bloggers have stated that too

Back