2024 February Half Term - Dinosaur Breakout

I think the main reason the Viking entrance is used is that they want every visitor to see the new coaster under construction and it’s new area as it’s the first and last thing you see as you enter and exit the park.
I think it's more convenience really as they did it last year too

Few reasons being:
Smaller carpark
Closer to the hotel & entrance roads
Smaller capacity entrance (I'd say it is at least)
It also looks better than the current main entrance plaza on the other side.

Don't think it's much about seeing the new coaster personally - as the park havent really pushed it much yet.

But again, I could be wrong - just my personal thought process on it

Whilst they may take over 200 million as a group, each park is stand alone and whilst DMR has 30 million profit, its not a profitable as WMSP, so they will want to invest across the board. They will be looking at the risks associated with DMR. I actually agree with your point, but I can't see them changing this or other events based on the lower number attending. I wish they would open more rides up for these events as Paultons do, but the visitor numbers probably don't justify it. The christmas event used to have more attractions including the dodgems before it became an ice rink. It will be to determine whether the event makes money. If it doesn't then they will stop opening. Its like they used to open every day from the beginning of april to the end of april when you paid a nominal admission charge and bought ride tickets or wristbands but now shut in the week out of season. All parks are expected to provide a return on investment and they are investing heavily in DMR. I would rather go safari restaurant than the burger kitchen. A less busy restaurant is good for us as the consumer rather a busy one. Personally think safari is the best theme park food in the country and some of the bloggers have stated that too
I agree with your point as well but at the end of the day it's all down to the park and management's decision on which option they choose - save money or potentially give guest's a better experience.

Well last year the whole of the Vikings area was open for the Feb half term event.
I wonder if the new area or at least the coaster will be available for the Christmas and Feb event.

I think it also gives park chance to do general maintenance by keeping the Thomas entrance closed. We saw a mini crane on the path where the ticket booths are on our last visit.

The vikings car park is most likely in use to keep guests adn enthusiasts away from the new shockwave trains and the remarkably large crane doing the lift in the main car park.

They used the viking entrance for the event last year too - I think it's more convenience for them.

Anyway!
Dinosaur breakout has ended for another year.

I really like this event. I think it's a good way to start the year. It's fun, engaging and kinda relaxing too.

The new final show was a better way to end the day and worked a lot better than the parade idea last year.
I also felt like the queues for meet and greets worked a lot better this year - last year's TRex was a bit chaotic to meet.

Anyone who's done the two years, which was better and why? :)

Anyone who's done the two years, which was better and why? :)
I'll ask the little lad in the morning. He's pretty much the target audience.

I am guessing he will say that he liked the T. Rex from last year as it was bigger. But I think he will say overall he preferred this year.

Personally I am conflicted. They were both great events, don't get me wrong. But I actually think I personally enjoyed the first year more. There were lots of improvements the second year definitely. The events staff seemed more at ease in the role, the disco did work better than the parade.

But... the food and ride offering was better the first year. We are pretty on the ball when it came to the events and were towards the front of pretty much every queue, but it actually made for quite a disjointed day as we were killing time between 12 and 4. A couple of ride offerings like Thor and Loki makes a big difference. Both rides have a re-ridability which Bounty and Accelerator don't when there are restricted options.

There were also little bits of theming around the park the first year which were more in keeping with the "breakout" feel, such as the little dinos on the toy shop which lasted pretty long into the season. It wasn't really a breakout this year, more of a dino safari or encounter. The only mention of any kind of breakout was from Ranger Vicky in the raptor show and there was no real link to anything outside. Last year I think the alarm linked to the narrative about the missing egg?

It's quite exciting though, both great events and there is still room to improve! It's certainly a highlight of the little lad's year.

The first year was good but there were issues, the parade was disorganised and at times it was clear it wasn't going to work. Ride offering was better, troublesome trucks and accelerator running with some of vikings. It was the first year and seemed a lot busier than this years events, can't remember food offering.

This year, Rory disco and theatre show I felt were better, less chaoctic. Ride offering was not as good. There has been a lot of debate on food offering so I won't go down that route.

How to improve, ignoring commercial decisions etc I would pretty much do the same as this year, maybe try and do something with Dino trail and have more dinosaurs. There can be issues with operating roller coasters in february if it is too cold, I would however run the following with a view to offer larger family offering.

• Thomasland
  • Carousol
  • Jolly Bucanneer
  • Bounty
  • Sheriffs showdown
  • Drunken barrels
  • Flying dutchman
  • Wave swinger - unless maintenance in that area
  • Sleepnir
  • Dodgems
  • Loki
  • Thor
I would open Burger kitchen, sodor, Safari and fun foods and potentially new themed area restaurant depending on what it is.

I don't think they could open the whole park or all the restaurants. To do the above would need more people working and attending, but given it will be on the back of the biggest year, could be possible, maybe without Wave swinger and all depends on what is happening with a potential relocation of flying dutchman and other maintenance / development work.

I do think the event needs a re-name from "Dinosaur Breakout" to something more... encounter-based.
A breakout makes me think the dinosaurs have escaped and are going wild / being naughty - not being patient and polite with a ranger to meet guests ^^;

Dino Discovery - May be a better fit of a name? (I want credit or something if you use that name Drayton ;) !)

Back