Shockwave

Managed to get on shockwave twice today. The first time it was only operating 3 rows.

Second time we were at the front of the queue and it broke down (apparently the brakes were a bit iffy) so they reduced it down to front row only so we were the first ride after they tested it with staff.

I’m sad it’s the last time I get to go on it stand up as it’s a ride I do enjoy and one of the first rollercoasters I ever went on.

IMG_1501.jpeg

IMG_1508.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1509.jpeg
    IMG_1509.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1510.jpeg
    IMG_1510.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1511.jpeg
    IMG_1511.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1512.jpeg
    IMG_1512.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1514.jpeg
    IMG_1514.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1516.jpeg
    IMG_1516.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1517.jpeg
    IMG_1517.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1518.jpeg
    IMG_1518.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1519.jpeg
    IMG_1519.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 65
As much as I’m sure the reimagined Shockwave will be great, I still think Drayton are making a huge mistake here.

This ride really put Drayton on the map and remained the only stand up rollercoaster in the UK throughout it’s entire lifespan, and I think just that history alone is enough to keep the ride stand up.

As much as I’m sure the reimagined Shockwave will be great, I still think Drayton are making a huge mistake here.

This ride really put Drayton on the map and remained the only stand up rollercoaster in the UK throughout it’s entire lifespan, and I think just that history alone is enough to keep the ride stand up.
Although it will forever hold a big place in our hearts , at the time Drayton opened shockwave they had planned to go into the thrill market. We saw this with instalments such as apocalypse , pandemonium and g force.

In times such as today it’s even more important for the park to attract their target market which is family / family thrill in order to remain operating as a business. I would love for the more thrilling rides however with limited space and the over all target, it does make sense logically for the park to remove the more thrilling aspects and go down the family thrill route.

Drayton has and always been a family thill theme park.
G force replaced the Klondike Gold Mine which was also a looping coaster.
Pandemonium replaced the sky flyer so really it was like for like but with more seating.
Apocalypse really is the biggest miss of the park and it gave both 1.2m and 1.4m tall market a run for its money.
I do think now with the new coaster, new area re-theme and Shockwave repaint and re-theme with new trains we won’t see that rumoured new flat ride next year but can see the new flat ride been a sit down drop tower for the 2025 season.

Shockwave has become very rough and I think I only been on it 2-3 times this year but I’m going this afternoon to check out the construction site, Drunken barrels, see if more trains are moving now and to ride the haunting and a couple of rides on Shockwave.
Just think the park could market it very well as it be on the only coaster in the uk with more than 2 inverters on a 1.2m coaster.

I was going to add a section about the park being family thrill on my previous post but was too tired and wanted to go to bed haha. But yes I agree with what people are saying.

I cannot say I am sad to see it go. Having grown up with the ride, it is knackered and sounds so rattly now.

The standup position was a gimmick, uncomfortable and a knightmare to load guests onto, sabotaging throughput in the process.

It was very much a product of it's time and has not aged well in my oppinion. There is a reason why there are almost non across the world. I feel keeping onto it just for the record is a silly reason that would harm the park more than help it.

The park have demonstrated that the direction they are going in, family thrill is working very well for them. This new direction cannot be compared to the old direction under the Bryan's. The key difference now is there is a big focus on ensuring rides can be ridden by the whole family, previously, while the park did arguably have a family thrill lineup, there were family rides and then there were thrill rides. The new family thrill direction ensures there is a maximum amount of rides rideable by the whole family at the same time, this was not the case previously. So it is no suprise we see Shockwave and Apocalypse going. Two of the biggest thrill rides but two rides that were not suitable for the whole family.

I welcome the new ride with open arms. I rode Shockwave first in 2002, while in year 8. I have fond memories, but times change. I welcome seeing my home park that I've grown up with thrive again under this new true family thrill direction, rather than hold on to some insignificant, clapped out rollercoaster.

I do remember (just about) me waiting on the exit platform in 1994 for a family member to ride the ride. Back in those days things were much different. As the bonus of living in Tamworth and knowing local staff, it was always easy to walk up the exits of rides to get on them. I remeber doing that with SF10 in 1999 as my brothers friend was working on it. You could never do that now a days, interesting times. Back when DMP resembled more of a permanent fairground than a themepark in certain areas.

So. How long until memorabilia items go up for sale ? :D
I reckon they will potentially look at adding those items to the catalogue over the closed season / start of 2024 :) if they choose to sell.

--

I personally welcome sit down shockwave... Really didn't enjoy it standing.

Back