Shockwave

Watched this video yesterday and thought it was great if you want to learn about the history of Shockwave.
It’s a great video, I’ve watched a lot of videos on this channel, he covers some interesting topics. The only bit of info I struggle to verify is that Shockwave was originally a 1.2m height restriction. I thought it was always a 1.4 and have yet to come across anyone who remembers it being a 1.2.

Last edited:
It’s a great video, I’ve watched a lot of videos on this channel, he covers some interesting topics. The only bit of info I struggle to verify is that Shockwave was originally a 1.2m height restriction. I thought it was always a 1.4 and have yet to come across anyone who remembers it being a 1.2.
If you look at this park map from 1995 in the area rides section shockwave is listed as 1.4m

Gutted
783D69FC-5169-4D3F-94FE-806534DC51C7.jpeg

But in other news it’s got a new entrance gate installed
BC99EA5F-A685-4289-89C7-AAA201CC0BD7.jpeg

after watching expedition theme parks video on shockwave , I noticed he mentioned that when it was first built the test train failed to make it over one of the inversions and replacement track was brought . Does anyone know what was changed to the track and if there was a major difference . Thanks :)

I can remember someone saying that the 0g roll was delivered backwards and they had to get a replacement or something like that i could be completely wrong but i thinks that may be what he was talking about

It is true yes, in the words of Colin himself;

“The new (for stand up) "heart line spiral". Two pieces of pipe were bent and when the ride was finished construction the test rig would not go through so another pipe (i.e. a complete length of track) was put in place of the useless length of track.

From an interview he did which can be read here. He also mentioned this on a few ECC events.

If you plan to ride Shockwave as it currently is, you'll want to get to the park before the season ends.

In the latest Themepark worldwide video it has been announced that big changes are coming for 2024.

Shockwave will receive new trains, a change to the theme and even a new name for its 30th season.

But, the height restriction will lower to 1.2 too.

It's the end of an era for the stand up coaster (with standup looking to be gone entirely)

Will you be riding before the season is up?
What do you think of these changes?

The changes fit the change in park to family thrill. Going forward the only thrill ride will be maelstrum. I think it is either this change or removal. I think it's the right decision for the park demographic. Not going to be popular with everyone

If you plan to ride Shockwave as it currently is, you'll want to get to the park before the season ends.

In the latest Themepark worldwide video it has been announced that big changes are coming for 2024.

Shockwave will receive new trains, a change to the theme and even a new name for its 30th season.

But, the height restriction will lower to 1.2 too.

It's the end of an era for the stand up coaster (with standup looking to be gone entirely)

Will you be riding before the season is up?
What do you think of these changes?
I have my fingers crossed I can get back on it. If I can’t I will be gutted. At least the ride will not be fully removed. I honestly wish Drayton would use 2 trains, 1 stand up and 1 sit down, but I don’t think this will happen unfortunately.

Why change the theme when they only repainted the station a few years back? I get that they want the ride to have new trains, but why change the name and theme? It fits into the area so well.

Last edited:
All part of a brand new look I believe. We will be looking forward to what this may lead to

Somehow I'm thinking something to do with storms.... I have no reason for this though or waves.

Somehow I'm thinking something to do with storms.... I have no reason for this though or waves.
Me and my Dad would always mess around calling the rides different names such as StormWave and Shockforce 10 :ROFLMAO: so it would be pretty ironic for us if it became themed to storms.

Back